- Text Size +
McGee decided to pick up a few extra things since he had been temporarily banished from his own apartment. As he drove, a thought came to him that made him groan. He was going to have to sleep in the floor. He hated sleeping in the floor. At least it would only be for one night.



After McGee left the apartment, Julie launched herself into Fornell's arms.
"Whoa, Dollface," he said, using his childhood nickname for her. "You're as tall as Uncle Toby now."
"Thanks for coming," she said sincerely. He guided her back into the chair and began to get as much information as he could from her about the incident. She filled him in with descriptions of her assailants. She handed the USB drive over to him without hesitation.
"I promise you, baby girl, I'm gonna take these guys down," he vowed.
"It wouldn't be the first time," she replied with a smirk.
"True," he said with a chuckle. "I need to give you a lesson in how to stay out of trouble."
"Good luck with that," she quipped.
"Have you called your sister?" he asked, knowing he was about to change the mood.
"No, Toby, you can't! Please, just give me some time," Julie begged. "You know she gets all crazy and over-protective and treats me like she's my real sister, even though you and I both know we've spent, like, ten minutes together," she rambled.
"I won't call her yet," he said. "But you need to. You do realize where Agent McGee works?" he asked.
"Yeah," she said. I saw his hat," she indicated the hat hanging on the hook with a nod.
"Okay; your call," he said, leaning down to kiss her on the cheek.



McGee stood at his own door awkwardly wondering how to proceed. He shifted his purchases into his right arm, and knocked timidly at the door. He shook his head at the strangeness of the situation. A man shouldn't be uncomfortable entering his own home. When he got no response he knocked louder, and then deftly fetched his keys from his pocket and moved to unlock the door, just as Fornell opened it.
The older man stepped aside and allowed McGee to enter the room. "Thanks, McGee," he said. He turned to both of them. "Jules, it's not safe for you out there. I've picked up most of your stuff from the hotel and extended your stay. I don't want you to go anywhere at all," he turned to face Julie, pointing his finger very close to her face. "I mean it, Jules. You aren't to step foot out of this place without protection until we catch these guys."
"I swear," she said sincerely.
"McGee," he turned to Tim. "I can't tell you how important it is that we keep this little lady safe," he said. "Thanks for letting her stay here."
McGee's brow was crinkled in confusion. He wasn't sure exactly what had happened, but it seemed as if his life had been hijacked by someone he didn't even know.
"Umm… exactly how long are we talking here?" he asked, wanting clarification.
"Oh, Tim, if you have plans or if I'm intruding…" she began. His eyes met hers. Her recent wounds stood out on her creamy complexion, marring her beautiful face and bringing out his protective nature.
"I guess it's alright if there's no other safe place to go," he agreed. Fornell smiled. He would have to have a talk with Gibbs about his agent. He owed this young man a major favor.