- Text Size +
Chapter 5

"Uh, I picked up some more food," Tim informed her, as he moved to the kitchen to put things away. "I didn't know how long you would be staying, so…"
"I'm really sorry about that," Julie interrupted him. "I know you weren't planning on having a roommate for a while."
"It's not that I don't want to help you," McGee said, "but my apartment isn't exactly furnished for two." For the first time Julie truly looked at his apartment. She knew he only had one bed, but when he had told her he would sleep in the living room she hadn't yet realized that meant he would be sleeping on the floor in the living room.
"I don't mind sleeping on the floor, Tim," she offered.
"No," he broke in immediately. "You're going to be sore enough in the morning, and I don't want to wake you when I leave for work."
She smiled at his thoughtfulness. "Thank you, again," she said with a smile. "Maybe we can swap tomorrow night?" she suggested. He smiled.
"Maybe," he agreed, without having any intention of letting her sleep on his floor.



Julie lay awake in Tim's comfortable bed feeling guilty. Here she was in the apartment of the first genuinely nice guy she had met in years, and she was taking over. He was such a thoughtful person. He had taken his shower before he had gone to "bed", and had gathered everything he thought he would need for work the next morning so that he wouldn't have to disturb her. But she was the one who had desperately needed saving. She was the one who needed a safe haven. She was the one who needed protection. Tim hadn't asked for any of this, yet here he was, allowing her to be thrust upon him. He didn't even get a vote. And he was too nice a guy to just tell Fornell "no". She smiled. Okay, not very many people in the world told her Uncle Toby "no".
She rolled over so that her uninjured cheek was resting against his pillow. She inhaled deeply. The bed linens had been freshly laundered and they had that tell-tale smell of detergent and fabric softener, but under that she could still smell him.


She could hear him tossing and turning, and grumbling softly. She got up and walked into the living room. He had made a pallet in the floor, but he still looked extremely uncomfortable.
"Tim?" she asked softly, knowing he wasn't asleep.
"Mmm?" he muttered frustrated.
"There's plenty of room in here, I mean," Julie blushed, "just to sleep. The bed's big enough for both of us; I don't think there's any reason for you to sleep on the floor."
Tim rolled over and sat on his make-shift bed, and looked up at her. "What?" he asked incredulously.
"I was just saying that if you want to sleep in here with me, there's plenty of room," she repeated, her cheeks blushing even redder.
Tim rose to his feet and looked at her. "You shouldn't ask men you don't know to share your bed," he told her sternly.
"But I just…" she began.
"Julie, I'm not a puppy; I'm not your brother; I'm a man. And you are a very attractive woman. Sleeping in that bed with you is not exactly going to give me a better night's sleep," he explained.
"I'm sorry," she said. "I was just trying to be nice."
"I appreciate it," he said. "Now go to sleep so I can; I have to work tomorrow."
"I'm sorry I bothered you," Julie said softly. He looked into her eyes which reflected sadness and rejection. He knew that feeling all too well.
"Julie, wait," he said before she went back into the other room. She turned back to look at him.
"Yeah?" she asked.
"I'm sorry if that came out harshly," he said apologetically. "Certain things just get to me, and I'm tired and…"
"I understand," she smiled at him. "We've both been saying ‘sorry' a lot."
He smirked, "yeah, I noticed that.
"I have just one more question to ask," Julie said.
"Sure," he invited her question, not sure what else she could need.
"Can I have a hug?" she asked. He smiled as she took a step closer to him. He pulled her into his arms and gave a deep, warm hug that was exactly what a hug should be. It was comforting and sweet, and put a little smile in her heart. She squeezed him back and leaned her head on his shoulder. He was the perfect height for hugging.
Tim reflected over the evening. He supposed things could be worse. There was a gorgeous woman in his apartment. In his arms, actually, he amended. Oh, that was the wrong thought to have at that moment. "Note to self," he thought, "never think about how attractive a woman is while she's hugging you." Suddenly the feel of her body pressed against his was no longer comforting. He wiggled a little, trying to break the embrace, but Julie wasn't taking the hint.
"Umm… Julie?" he said. "I really should go to bed now." She stepped out of his embrace and smiled at him.
"Thanks, Tim; I needed that," she said. "Night night!"
"Goodnight, Julie," he said as lay back down. Now it would be harder than ever to get to sleep.