- Text Size +
----------

They both groaned at the sound of a car door slamming outside. "Showtime." Tony muttered under his breath.

Gibbs paused a moment standing beside his car to try and pull his thoughts together. He saw Tony's car parked out front and was a little, although not entirely, relieved. He realized that Tony must have picked her up from the emergency room and stayed with her.

He made his way to Abby's apartment door and knocked once. Tony answered the door and let Gibbs in.

Tony received a good healthy dose of Gibbs' glare and cringed. He decided to be proactive, "Sorry Boss, should've called you."

Gibbs was quiet and that never boded well, and his quiet reply to Tony screamed volumes, "Ya think, DiNozzo?"

The two men walked into the living room and Gibbs asked, "So what happened?"

Tony quickly explained about the creepy bouncer and the emergency room visit and him bringing Abby home. He left out the part about his first impression at the emergency room, he couldn't even begin to imagine what Gibbs' reaction would have been to that.

Gibbs listened and then scrubbed his face with both hands, "Where is she?"

"In her bedroom, Boss."

He made his way there and knocked once on the door, "Abs?" he said quietly as he opened the door. He could see her sitting on the far side of the bed with her back to the door. He walked over to her and sat beside her.

She had her head hung low and was staring at a spot on the carpet, "I'm really okay, Gibbs. You didn't have to come all the way over here."

"You're right, Abs. I didn't have to come over. But maybe I wanted to."

"I just feel so stupid."

"It wasn't your fault."

"Didn't we have this conversation in an elevator once?"

"Something similar, yeah. So how is your wrist?"

"Sore. I fractured it on his thick skull."

"Once it's healed I'm teaching you self-defense."

"I don't need self-defense lessons Gibbs."

"Don't argue with me, Abs. It's either self-defense or I become your permanent escort around town."

Gibbs could sense something else bothering her. There was a tension in her body that he only felt in her when she was at her most insecure. And right now it was rolling off her in waves.

He put his arm around her and pulled her in close, "Abs, why didn't you call me from the hospital?"

"I don't want you to think you always have to be the one to take care of me."

He put his arm around her and pulled her in tight, "Ever think that maybe I like taking care of you?"

----------
TBC....feedback appreciated!