- Text Size +
----------

Abby had replayed that conversation over and over in her head over the course of the last few weeks. But still couldn't figure him out.

----------

Ziva came up from the lab and took a quick look around for Gibbs. Thankfully not seeing him she leaned over Tony's desk conspiratorially, "Tony, do you know what's bothering Abby?"

Tony looked up from his computer monitor with a concerned expression, "No, why?"

"She is very quiet down there. And she hasn't changed out of her court clothes yet."

That alone concerned Tony, Abby was know for losing her court suit within minutes of returning to the lab.

"I'll check on her." And with that he headed downstairs.

The lab was quiet, except for the hum of the lab equipment.

"Abs?" He called out looking around for her.

He finally found her in the ballistics lab still in her suit. She had her back to the door but he could see her shoulders shaking and he realized she was crying.

"Abby?"

She sniffed loudly and wiped her face but didn't turn around, "Tony, now's not really a good time."

He asked softly, "You okay? Something happen at court?"

"It's nothing. I don't want to talk about it." She sniffed again and he could tell a fresh course of tears had started.

"Oh, Abs." he said gently and pulled her into a hug. He squeezed her tight and just let her cry. When the tears subsided a little he prodded as he stroked her hair, "So you gonna tell me what's wrong?"

She sniffed and asked, "Does everyone really think I'm a freak?"

His expression turned to one of disbelief, "What? No one here thinks you're a freak, Abs. Why would you ask that?"

She was quiet for a long moment then sighed and said, "I overheard two of the guys from the JAG office talking about me. They called me the freak from NCIS."

Tony had a powerful urge to go beat up a couple of morons, "Who were they?"

She stepped back from him, her makeup ruined and her eyes red and puffy from crying, "If I tell you, you can't tell Gibbs."

"Why not? I don't think he's the type to tolerate that sort of thing, Abby."

"It's just that…well, he's Gibbs."

Tony rolled his eyes slightly, "Yeah. I'll take care of it."

"No, Tony, don't do anything. Just let it go. I'm just being oversensitive."

"You sure? I can bully them a little for you."

"Just forget about it. I don't want you to get into trouble."

He cocked his head and squinted one eye in one of his infamous Tony looks, "I will if you promise to tell me if anything else comes up with those two."

"I promise. Now I'm gonna go change and wash my face."

She gathered her clothes and headed out of the lab for the ladies room. Tony walked out into the hallway with her and waited for the elevator. Unfortunately Abby dropped her purse, which of course opened and spilled, and was picking everything up when the elevator opened and Gibbs walked out of it.

Abby squeaked and grabbing her stuff hurried off to the ladies room. But it was too late, Gibbs had seen her face and her ruined makeup. He had dealt with enough women in his lifetime to know that she had been crying. He went to follow her into the ladies room but Tony caught him first, "Boss."

Gibbs turned and glared at Tony and gesturing towards the door Abby disappeared through asked, "You do that, DiNozzo?"

Tony put his hands up in mock protest, "Not me, Boss."

"Why is she crying?"

Tony could see Gibbs unconsciously making fists and he decided to go the self-preservation route and answered honestly, "Somebody at court might have said something that hurt her feelings. She just doesn't want a big deal made about it."

Tony was trying to figure out Gibbs' reaction to all this. Actually he was trying to figure out Gibbs' feelings towards Abby in general. If he didn't know better he would swear that Gibbs was acting like an overprotective boyfriend.

---------------

tbc...feedback appreciated!