- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Meeting the Director
Chapter 2



"Who was that?" Tony asked after the mystery woman was shown up the stairs.



Ziva shrugged and turned away when she noticed Gibbs glaring at Tony for getting off track.



McGee looked up from his pc and looked around. "Who was who?"



Tony smiled at him. "See Timmy? A pretty young woman walks by and you don't even notice. What's wrong with this picture?"



"There's nothing wrong with this picture DiNozzo." Gibbs told him. "McGee is working on the case. What have you been doing?"



Tony sat up in his chair. "Can I turn your attention to the plasma, Boss?" Once everyone was looking at the screen, Tony brought up the pictures of the deceased couple. "Lee and Paula Jackson, married two years next month. They met while on leave in the Bahamas. Lee Jackson is 42, Paula is 26. He's a Marine, she's in the Army. Sergeant Major Lee Jackson, time in service, 24 years. He was last stationed at Camp Lejuene, North Carolina. Corporal Paula Jackson, time in service, 8 years. She was last stationed at Fort Bragg, North Carolina. According to both of their commanding officers, they traveled each weekend to see each other."



"According to their workmates, they also spent a lot of time texting and emailing one another." Ziva added.



"I've been working on accessing their emails since we got back boss. For the most part, nothing in the emails indicates there were any problems in the marriage." McGee told Gibbs.



Tony's nostrils flared and he clenched his jaw. "They were on vacation in DC for the week. Taking in the sights and celebrating their anniversary a month early."



"No ideas on motive for killing them?" Lt. Col. Hollis Mann asked them all.



In response there was a chorus of "we're working on that" before they all scattered.



Gibbs walked to the elevator, Mann following close behind. As he reached for the button the doors slid open. Special Agents Fornell and Sacks stepped out.



"Fornell." Gibbs said with a question in his eyes.



"Not here for you Jethro. The Director herself called us in." Fornell informed him before brushing past him.



Gibbs and Mann watched them as the two Federal Agents made their way up the stairs. Turning, they entered the elevator. When the doors closed, Hollis reached out and stopped it from descending to Abby's lab.



"Hollis…" Gibbs started.



"Jethro, I know this isn't the time or place, but I have to tell you something." She smiled when he looked into her eyes. "What are they telling you Jethro?"



He smiled, the small one that she really found attractive. "They're telling me whatever you're about to say is a relief to you."



She nodded. "Yours are telling me this will be one to you as well. I've been offered a transfer and I've decided to take it. It's an advancement and a location change." At his look she told him, "I know you weren't interested in anything long-term with me, Jethro. I wasn't really looking that far ahead myself. I've never been the kind of woman meant to settle down anyway. So I just have to know, are we all right?"



With his penetrating stare, Gibbs asked, "What are my eyes telling you?"



Hollis smiled and started the elevator again. "They said they've enjoyed what we had."



-------



"Agent Fornell, Agent Sacks." Director Shepard greeted the two men that entered her office.



Emma stood, waiting for an introduction or some type of acknowledgement. Agent Sacks nodded in her direction but Agent Fornell ignored her and spoke directly to Director Shepard.



"I've spoken with the Chicago office. They are not pursuing this case as an extension of their investigation. Our Director has decided to leave this decision in your hands as to whether we help or not. I do feel with Agent Jordan's experience in tracking this killer that, if it is the same person, her help would benefit your investigation."



Agent Fornell turned and addressed Emma. "I was told by your boss that you are technically on leave. If Director Shepard decides to allow you to help, the leave will be cancelled and you will be temporarily assigned to our offices in the Hoover Building. Working with Gibbs, I wouldn't expect to see you there much except for your paperwork."



Emma nodded. "I appreciate that, sir."



The three agents turned to face Director Shepard. She took a moment and then decided, "Agent Jordan, you'll be helping on this case if the evidence proves your theory. I'll have Cynthia show you to the conference room while I check this out."



"All due respect Ma'am, if I could come with you I would probably be able to tell if this killer is the same or not." Emma spoke quickly.



Director Shepard's eyes narrowed for a moment. "Agents Fornell and Sacks will also join us. You have reviewed the case file, correct Agent Fornell?"



Fornell nodded. "Yes I have."



"Good." Director Shepard said. "Let's go talk to Ducky."