- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
let the prep work begin...or rather enter Abby's talents :D
Chapter 4

Gibbs stepped off the elevator to find Fornell, Sacks and Agent Jordan standing in the squad room with Jenny. Before he could say anything, Jenny told him, "I've already made this decision and it's not up for negotiation, Special Agent Gibbs."

"And what decision would that be Director?" he asked, looking at Agent Jordan.

"We have a situation that demands that we work with the FBI on this case. From everything we've learned so far, this is the same killer they've been tracking for three years."

"Three years?" He asked sardonically to push the young agent's buttons. "And you still don't have him?"

She stared at him without answering. The elevator doors opened and Hollis walked in. Jenny nodded at her.

"I've spoken with your superiors, Col. Mann, and they are in agreement with this as well. Agent Jordan along with Agents Fornell and Sacks will be assisting in the investigation of this case. Now, I'll let Agent Jordan brief you all on the history of this killer while I talk with Agent Gibbs in my office."

The look Jenny was giving him tolerated no argument. He walked passed the FBI and followed her upstairs.

-------

Emma looked around, once again the center of attention. "Hello." She said quietly then decided to just dive in. "Our profile on this killer says he's male, late 30s to early 40s. All known kills with DNA tying back to him have involved couples. Those cases go back to three years ago. Serial killers don't just appear at that stage in life and start. We haven't gotten any information on him other than his DNA. Our profiler says that he has anger issues with both men and women, possibly going back to his own mother and father. He mainly focuses his anger on the women, toying with them, cutting them, making them terrified. And all of this after having them watch their husbands die. All of the victims have been married. All of them with a significant age difference between the husband and wife – significant by at least 15 years. I've laid out a plan with the Director and she agrees on the course of action I've suggested. When Agent Gibbs returns…"

Emma trailed off as the man in question walked past her and ordered, "Conference room Agent Jordan."

She watched as he hit the elevator button, confused, thinking the conference room was on the same floor they were on. Seeing expectant looks on everyone's faces she ran to the elevator before the doors could close.

-------

Gibbs was angry. Not only had this upstart FBI agent flown in from Chicago to ‘help' his investigation, she had apparently taken over the Director's job at deciding what is best for the case and the people investigating it. Without discussing it with him first, Jenny took the woman's word for gold and gave him a choice – do the assignment as she ordered or step away from the case entirely. The elevator started moving and he pushed the button to stop it.

"Agent Gibbs…" the woman started.

"You don't talk, you listen. I don't know you or your history with this case. I don't know what you told the Director to get her to go along with this, but once this undercover op starts, you answer to me, got it? You don't run to her when you have a problem and you don't run to your boss at the FBI. As long as it takes for your little plan to work, you will be under my command. Do you understand?"

She stared at him with light brown eyes and nodded her head. "I understand."

He turned from her and started the elevator moving again. "We are going to see Abby about our identities, you won't need a false one but I will need to still be in service for your plan to work."

The doors slid open and she followed him out. Music was playing loud but not at Abby's normal volume. "Abby." Gibbs said and signed for her to turn the volume down even more.

Abby's eyes were wide as he explained what he'd need. Grinning she spun around and headed for her desk. "Not a problem, boss-man. I'll have everything looking real in no time."

He watched her fingers fly over the keyboard and sensed Agent Jordan standing behind him. She was watching curiously over his shoulder. Abby got his paperwork fixed and his military ID ready and handed them over along with a fake marriage license and wedding date.

"Happy Anniversary. Ok, I've got to find a house now, give me just a minute." Abby said and looked at Agent Jordan. "I'm Abby. What kind of house do you like?"

"I'm Emma and anything will do."

Abby shook her head and made a ‘tsk' sound. "No, no, FBI lady. Anything won't do, you have to have a place that reflects a little of both of you."

Gibbs and Abby watched as Emma's mouth twisted to one side as she looked Gibbs up and down. "Something one story, nothing cluttered, with a functional layout. Two bedroom, two bath, kitchen, living room and den."

Abby nodded and started searching rentals. Gibbs tapped her shoulder, "Don't forget the basement."

Abby grinned. "We can't let you go without a basement." She came up with two possibilities. They took the virtual tours and simultaneously picked the same house. "Wow that was so couple-like of you."