- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
coming to an understanding
Chapter 5

Emma signed her name and rubbed her neck. She had a tension headache but she wasn't stopping for it. She knew instinctively that her plan would work. What she didn't know was if the Director explained everything to Gibbs or not. She shook her head. Jethro, his name was Leroy Jethro Gibbs and he was called either Gibbs or Boss, Jethro by the daring. For this op she would be calling him Jethro.

She stared at the computer where Abby Sciuto had photoshopped a complete wedding album for the two of them. The slideshow was mainly showing her co-workers her skills but Emma didn't mind. At first glance, Ms. Sciuto was different but with a second look you could see what a good person she was. Emma liked her. Now all she had to do was make-up for the initial lack of enthusiasm she had shown for Abby's hard work. She had a feeling she had her work cut out for her.

-------

Gibbs frowned at Tony's laughter. One more wise-crack and he'd …

SMACK!

"Ow. Won't happen again, Boss." Tony said stepping out of Gibbs' reach.

Hollis was enjoying this as well, knowing another wife – even a fake one – would not make him happy. And Agent Jordan…there was something she wasn't telling him.

"What makes your plan foolproof Agent Jordan?" he asked her.

She looked around the room before answering. "We're giving him two things he can't resist. A couple that fits his requirements and his only living victim."

"What victim?" McGee asked. He stared at Agent Jordan. "He tried to kill you?"

"Yes."

"What makes you think he'll be watching the news?" Gibbs asked.

"We believe he chooses his victims in advance and studies them for several days at least before making his move. It's the only way he can know so much about them. Also, we believe he selects his next couple before he kills the one he's currently watching."

"So that means we'll have one more set of victims before he moves onto you two?" Ziva asked.

"Yes, more than likely." Agent Jordan answered.

-------

Emma washed her hands and stared at her reflection. The door opened and Office David walked in. Quickly throwing her paper towels away, she started to leave her alone.

"If this is only about revenge, you don't need to join this investigation." Officer David told her.

Straightening and staring her in the eye, Emma told her, "I'm not going to lie and say that hasn't crossed my mind. This case has been mine since his first victims. I've wanted to catch him for three years. It's funny in a way, but his pride in himself will be his downfall. Seeing him on death row, being at his execution, that's all the revenge I need, Officer David."

Ziva David's eyes spoke of understanding and Emma started to move past the Mossad Officer only to be stopped once more.

"We nearly lost Gibbs last year. Out there you'll be his closest backup."

It was Emma's turn to understand the teams concerns. "No matter who my partner is, I'll always be willing to protect them no matter what."