- Text Size +
Two months later.


Gibbs stood at the top of the stairs and watched his team. Much had changed in his absense. The way the truck was organized was only a small thing. The people had changed.

„Thinking of the good old times?"

He barely turned his head as the younger man stepped next to him, immitating his position leaning on the railing of the stairs.

„Old times, yeah. Good...sometimes."

From the corner of his eyes he saw Tony check if anybody was in earshot.

„I think we should talk. You know...not here...somewhere private."

This time Gibbs looked at him but Tony watched McGee banter with Ziva. The older desperately tried to surpress the hope coming up in his heart.

„Tony..."

„Not here."

Tony turned to him and gave him a pointed look.

„Ok. But tell me one thing...is it wrong to hope for an happy ending when you're watching Titanic?"

A small smile came to Tony's face. He knew that Gibbs was refering to the nights they've spent in Tony's apartment when he was recovering from the plague. They had gone through all Tony's dvd collection and Gibbs had brought movies from the video libary, accidently bringing Titanic.

„There are a lot of movies you think you know the ending. But they might surprise you."

With that Tony went down the stairs but stopped again.

„7 pm, my place?"

„If there's no case."

Tony nodded and went down. Gibbs turned back to watch his team, now complete. As if he hadn't missed one moment Tony got into the conversation taking place in the bullpen. Gibbs had to smile. Some things will never change.



Gibbs took a deep breath as he climped the stairs to Tony's apartment. He could have taken the elevator but the stairs gave him precious time to think about the conversation ahead of him. Of course planning out a conversation without knowing what Tony wanted to say or ask was impossible but he tried to have a good answer to every question he expected. Still he was nervous when he finally knocked on Tony's door. It seemed to be a strange thing to knock on a door he had a key for but the right to just walk inside was taken away from him when he had gotten back the bracelett. Funny how such a small gesture could have such a big meaning.

The door was opened and his mind was blank when he saw the younger man. The beautiful green eyes, the handsom face that well known. The situation was that familiar that he wanted to kiss him, just because that's what his brain assossiated with this situation. Apparently Tony had been struck with the same feeling because he wordlessly stepped aside to let Gibbs in. They went into the kitchen, Tony obviously wanted to keep the inviroment as neutral as it could be, and sat at the table. Gibbs noticed the cups on the table but the coffee was still brewing, as usual, he was early. They sat in silence for what seemed like hours, but were only a few moments.

„I need to know something."

Tony finally said, obviously he gave up to try and find a better way to start. Gibbs nodded and waited for him to continue. His mouth was dry, he could really go for that coffee now.

„Did...did you remember me...us...when you went away?"

Gibbs swallowed and then took a deep breath.

„No...I mean, I did remember you being my second in command...and I remembered us having sex...but at that time I didn't remember that it was more than that. I didn't remember all the nights we've spent together talking. Or how you sat on the stairs watching me working on the boat. I didn't remember more of you than I did of Jen."

Tony nodded slowly but didn't look at him.

„And when I was there? In Mexico? Did you remember then? I mean, before I gave you the bracelett?"

Gibbs dropped his gaze to the table. He had known this question would come and he hadn't a good answer.

„Yeah, I did."

„So, you didn't want to come back to me."

Tony concluded and Gibbs knew he had to make it right.

„No, Tony. You've got to understand...I felt so guilty. At first, it felt as if I was cheating on Shannon...and once that was gone I couldn't find a way to explain myself to you. I had lied to you all this time. I've never told you about the family I once had...but you had a right to know it. I said I love you and I did and at the same time I had secrets from you. All this time I never told you that there were people who had a place in my heart...a place that was now a hole, one you could never fill...one you weren't supposed to fill...when you gave me the bracelett...It was just as bad as when I came home to an empty house after months at war. I...I sat on the beach and...I seriously wanted to kill myself. I thought without you there's no reason to be alive anymore. But then I wanted to come back, to tell you how much I love you and...but I thought you had come to the decision to go on with your life without me."

Again Tony nodded.

„I had come to that decision. That's why I gave you the bracelett. I thought...I thought that would be the step I need to take to draw a line. To make a new start. But it wasn't. I came back here and was the boss again...and I realized I don't want to be the boss. Not like that. I hated it...really...the way I was acting...subconsciously copying you...the way McGee called me boss...I hated everything...but the most I hated to go to bed alone, to wake up alone...I missed you."

This time Tony looked Gibbs directly in the eyes and Gibbs could see all those emotions he had hoped to find there. Hope, love. But he could see pain aswell.

„I know it won't be as if nothing had happened. Because it did. But I know one thing...Either we give it another go, a fresh start, or I'll have to go on. I need to have something...a yes or a no. There's no grey this time."

Gibbs put his hand on top of Tony's and smiled.

„Yes, Tony. The answer is always yes."

Tony looked down at the hands and entwined their fingers.

„Can you...can you tell me about them? You don't have to I just...I'd like to know who those people were."

For a moment Gibbs considered telling Tony that he couldn't talk about them, that it was too painful. But then he realized that it didn't hurt to think of them. And he had planned on telling him.

„Yeah, I can do that...and I brought you something."

He took the bag Tony hadn't noticed yet and took out an album. He opened it and pointed on the first picture.

„Is that you on your high school graduation?"

Tony asked with shining eyes and smiled.

„Yeah, Shannon and me, we were high school sweetheart...god, we hated that term..."

Gibbs went on to tell Tony about the woman he had loved so much and then about his daughter, his little sunshine. To every photo in the album Gibbs told the story and when he had come to the last picture they were both smiling.

„They sound like great people."

Tony said and Gibbs nodded.

„You do know that I still love them, don't you?"

„Yeah, I know that. And I'm not expecting to stop or to forget them. I just also want you to be here with me."

They held eye contact for a long moment.

„I am here, Tony."

As Tony dropped his eyes flushing slightly Gibbs‘ gaze landed on the clock on the wall. It was already 1 am.

„I think I better go. We have to work in the morning. And I know you need your beauty sleep."

„You're not staying?"

A look of slight panic crossed Tony's face but the older man just smiled.

„Yeah, Tony, I go home. I want to start this fresh. I want to date you, because that's what you deserve. You deserve to be - wooed."

„Wooed?"

Tony chuckled. But then he looked serious at him again.

„Can I at least have good night kiss? A really decent one?"

Gibbs grinned and gave Tony a breath stealing kiss.

„Ohhh, what would my mother say if she saw that, Mr. Gibbs?"

Tony grinned at him.

„Only because I'm wooing you it doesn't mean that I'm at all decent...that was a promise, Tony. There's more to come."

The younger man looked at him mock innocently.

„Really? I think I didn't quite get that message...try another one?"

Gibbs smirked but walked to the door.

„Not tonight."

He gave him a once-over with that look that made Tony shiver.

„You're such a tease."

„Pot meet kettle."