- Text Size +
It had been a very strange day; Gibbs had listened to an unbelievable story from Ducky, there were no leads to find Ari. Right now Gibbs was sanding his frustration out on a spar of his boat.

Drake had been watching Gibbs working on his boat for about an hour and he was getting bored.

"Damn it Gibbs, we need to find Ari and working on your boat is not getting us there!" Drake started walking up the stairs to the open door.

"Well you're not helping any." said Gibbs not looking up from his labor.

Drake stopped in his tracks and turned to stare at Gibbs. "You can hear me?"

"I can see you too." said Gibbs still working on the spar.

"So why didn't you say something?" asked Drake, barley keeping his annoyance and frustration out of his voice.

Gibbs smiled. "I barely talk to the living so what makes you think I'm gonna chat with you?"

"You don't seem surprised." commented Drake with suspicion in his voice.

Gibbs looked at him and there was sadness in his eyes. "You're not the first ghost I have seen. You're not the most useful ghost either."

Drake walked back down the stairs and stood in front of Gibbs. "This is all rather new to me; I have only been a ghost for 2 days and I don't seem to have gotten the hang of it yet. So cut me a little slack why don't you?"

Gibbs smiled and went to the bench where the Jack Daniels bottle was sitting; he poured some into a glass and took a sip. "I would offer you a drink but offering one spirit to another just seems wrong."

"Yeah thanks for that." sneered Drake. "I could really use a drink too."

"So do you remember anything useful from being blown up?" asked Gibbs.

"The most useful thing I have learned from getting blown up is that it is a bad thing to do."

"As ghosts go you're just not much use are you?" Gibbs voice was cold but not angry. "Sounds like you need lessons in being dead."

Drake was puzzled. "Any suggestions you have would be useful."

"Oh hell not me, I'm alive and plan on staying that way for quite a while yet. No you need the advice of someone who has been dead a while and knows the tricks." Gibbs looked over to the corner of the basement.

Drake looked in the same direction but there was nothing there.

"Kelly, sweetheart, you can come out; there is someone I would like you to meet." There was sadness in Gibbs' voice. Suddenly there was light and the figure of a young girl appeared in the corner. She smiled and half-walked, half-glided across the room to her father. "Drake I would like you to meet my daughter. She has been with me for quite a while now and she helps me a lot."

Drake was more shocked by this revelation than he was by his own death. "Your daughter? She is the famous 'Gibbs gut instinct'?"

Gibbs just smiled sadly and went back to working on his boat.