- Text Size +
"So where are we going Tony?" asked McGee; "your dad has a house around here, doesn't he?"

Tony gave McGee a harsh look, and continued to drive the truck.

"I think you hit a nerve there Timmy," said Ziva with a cheeky grin.

"We are going to the Radisson Hotel at 1730 N Ocean Ave.," said Tony in a business-like tone of voice.

"I'm worried about Gibbs," stated McGee absently. "He has been rather distracted, not his usual self at all…"

"Yeah, you're right. I have not been Gibbs slapped for a couple of days. It is strange."

They arrived at the hotel and went to their rooms. McGee phoned Abby for an update.

-------


"Hey McGee! Where are you? Our Darrel Ritter served on the USS Eldridge in 1943, and was still in the Navy after. Do you realise what that means McGee? Everybody else who served on the Eldridge on October 28th 1943, was given a medical discharge except Darrel Ritter, but there is no record of where he served. Not even the CIA could find anything… Oh and he was shot with a Colt Peace Maker; that's an antique. You're very quiet, McGee; haven't you got anything to say?" Abby stopped talking and waited.

Once McGee was sure Abby was not going to start talking again he said, "How could I say anything? You have been talking a blue streak… Hang on a minute; how can he have been on the Eldridge in 1943? He could not have been more than 20 years old…" said McGee in disbelief.

"According to Ducky he was 19, I have checked, double, and triple checked his fingerprints, and our 19-year-old was definitely Darrel Ritter, which means that he was 90 years old and very well preserved – in fact he was two years younger than he was when he joined the Navy. Work that one out McGee," answered Abby with an air of triumph.

"Abby, I'm tired and I need a shower. I can't think straight at the moment. What about the gun? Any information on that?" asked McGee, sitting down on the edge of his bed and taking his shoes off.

"Oh. Yes! The Colt in the tree was issued to Darrel Ritter in 1947, but there is no record of where he was assigned at the time." Abby said, sounding slightly down.

"What about the gun?" asked McGee.

"I just told you!" snapped Abby.

"No. I mean, can you trace the military issue records and find out where the gun was sent before it was issued?" McGee asked thinking it through as he talked.

"McGee! You are a freaking genius! I'll get on it right away," Abby said with real enthusiasm, and then she hung up.

McGee looked at the phone and shook his head. He stumbled off to the bathroom to take a shower. He figured he could fill Tony and Ziva in on the facts later.

------

Gibbs was getting the grand tour on the way to the lower level of what was apparently a massive complex of tunnels, storerooms, laboratories and offices. All was quiet; it was reminiscent of the Marie Celeste.

"It was the selection of clothing that surprised me," said Drake, as he led the way through the seemingly endless corridors. "Every fashion and era you can possibly think of. I mean, anything from anywhere in the world." Drake looked over his shoulder at Gibbs who was obviously lost in his own thoughts.

They reached the forth sub level and the humming sound of generators or other machinery could be heard.

"That was not happening when we were here before," said Drake, clearly apprehensive.

"What are you worried about?" asked Gibbs. "You're dead already."

"Ha! It has always been my experience that no matter how bad the situation, even when you think it can't get worse… It can," Drake said dryly.

They rounded a corner and found a set of large steel doors closed.

"They were open last time I was down here," said Drake.

Gibbs pulled the handle of the door and they slid apart.

There was one man standing in the middle of the room in front of the giant ring surrounded by outlandish looking technology. He wore the uniform of a navy Capitan and he held an old fashioned revolver in his left hand.

"Welcome Leroy Jethro Gibbs." The Capitan smiled at Gibbs.

Gibbs levelled his Sig at the Capitan, "Put the weapon down!"

The Capitan looked down at the gun in his hand like he was surprised to see it, and dropped it to the ground immediately.

Gibbs moved toward the Capitan, kicked the revolver away and searched him.

"So who are you?" Gibbs asked.

"I am Capitan James Ritzmann. I am the commander of this base, and now your life will change forever. You and your ethereal friend here." The captain looks straight at Drake.

"Gee whiz, can everybody see me all of a sudden?" asked Drake, looking shocked.

"Well, I would like to know what is going on here," said Gibbs.

"I would be happy to tell you all about it, but I think we both could use some coffee. What do you think?"

"Well that is the best offer I have had all day," said Gibbs. "So you can see what sort of day I have had."

The Capitan led the way to an office, with Gibbs still pointing his Sig at him. In the office there was a pot of coffee waiting. Gibbs was hoping there would be an explanation too.