- Text Size +
Sitting at a large and impressive antique desk Capitan James Ritzmann smiled at Gibbs and sipped his coffee. "You want to know what we do here…. You also want to know if I had anything to do with the death of Commander Ritter." These were not questions; he stated the facts as he saw them with confidence.

Gibbs was not impressed. "Ok so you know what I want, so how about telling me?" He sniffed and sipped his coffee.

Ritzmann appeared to be thinking about talking but then the office door opened and two armed guards came in pointing automatic weapons at Gibbs. "You need to understand Jethro that what we do here is far more important than law enforcement or even government."

Gibbs was disarmed by one of the guards. Ritzmann motioned for the guards to leave the room.

"I am in a position to help you Jethro, but there is a risk." Ritzmann said and looked at Gibbs for some sign of reaction. All he saw in Gibbs eyes was anger slowly building. "You must understand Jethro that if you help we can offer you absolutely anything you want."

"Ha! So you're not in a position to help me…. You think I'm in a position to help you!" Gibbs voice was low and menacing. "Your going to have to tell me what is going on here, especially if you want to try to get my help."

"To put it simply Jethro, here we rewrite history…."

-------

Ziva and Tony were waiting for Tim in the restaurant of the hotel.

"So where is he?" Ziva asked

"We did say to meet here at 2100, didn't we?" said Tony looking at the menu. "I'm just about through with waiting for the Probie. Let's order."

"Hey guys, I'm sorry I'm late. I fell asleep." said Tim as he seated himself at the table.

The three of them ordered food and Tim filled them in on the information that Abby had shared with him on the phone earlier.

"So what is so special about the USS Eldridge?" asked Ziva.

"Well in 1943 the Eldridge was supposed to have been part of a US Navy experiment to try and make a ship invisible to radar. According to the myth the ship actually vanished totally. It was gone for several hours and reappeared outside of the Philadelphia Navy Yard. The incident has come to be known as the Philadelphia experiment." Tony stopped talking as he noticed Ziva and Tim staring at him with their mouths open.

"So did you see it in a movie?" asked Ziva.

Tim laughed, but stopped quickly when he saw the expression on Tony's face.

"Hey I don't get all my knowledge from movies; I do read books as well." said Tony defensively.

"So long as they have pictures." added Ziva with a grin.

"The Philadelphia experiment was actually part of a program called Project Rainbow which covered a lot more than just radar invisibility." continued Tony, deciding to ignore these slurs on his character.

Ziva & Tim looked at each other in surprise. Tony smiled and continued to eat.

"So not a movie then." said Ziva.

"Well it was a movie as well. Written by Wallace Bennett and Don Jacobi, produced by the great John Carpenter and directed by Stewart Raffill. It was released in 1984 and stared Nancy Allen and Michael Pare…" Tony stopped as he realised both Tim and Ziva were laughing at him.

-------

Gibbs was sitting with a look of total disbelief on his face.

"This facility is independent from all government organisations and is dedicated to ensuring the power and economic stability and power of the United States of America" Ritzmann stopped talking and looked at Gibbs "You're having trouble grasping this?" he asked.

"I actually think you are a few fries short of a happy meal." stated Gibbs with clear contempt in his voice. "You expect me to believe that you send people back in time to change events in history in order to affect the balance of power now…. It's ridiculous!"

"Jethro, I don't expect you to believe me. I know that you will believe me." said Ritzmann.

Drake appeared from nowhere. "There are about 30 skeletons at the end of the tunnel behind that machine," he stated.

Gibbs looked at Drake and then at Ritzmann. "So would you like to explain the bodies?"

"Time travel is hazardous and not an exact science. We have been doing it for 60 years and still things do not always work out just as we hope." Ritzmann said with a hint of regret in his voice.

"So what about the families of those people that you have left to rot at the end of your tunnel?!" shouted Gibbs.

"Well they are all citizens that have given their lives in the service of our country and their family history and families have been looked after." Ritzmann was obviously trying to turn Gibbs to his side. "Jethro, is there any thing that has happened in your life you would want to change?"

Gibbs' face drained of colour and his hand shook slightly. "You bastard!" he said quietly. He knew what Ritzmann was doing and it both tempted him and made him as mad as hell.