- Text Size +
PART 24. (Flash Back Revisited)

Drake had spent the day with an Israeli agent exchanging information. Something about the meeting didn't feel right.


He had learned to trust his instincts. This time his controller had told him in no uncertain terms to "ignore what you think and do your job".


The job was done, contact made and information had been exchanged. But still…he couldn't put his finger on it.


He got out of his car and walked over to his flat. The light was on, so he knew that Samantha was home. He was about to walk in the door when a young girl appeared beside him.

"Hello, who are you?" he asked surprised.

"My name is Kelly and I'm here to warn you, John Drake," she said. Her voice was sad and soft.

"Warn me about what? And how do you know my name?" He was disturbed by this girl and the way she spoke to him.

"How I know you is difficult to explain; there is no time… You and your wife are in danger." She looked at him and the truth of her words seemed to make the air grow cold.

Drake tried to shrug off the feeling of fear that mingled with the bad feeling he had all day working with the Israeli. "Who put you up to this?" his tone was clipped and harsh.

"When you see me again you must react swiftly, because the one you do not trust will be about to strike, and death will follow," Kelly's voice echoed, and before his eyes she faded and disappeared.


Drake stood motionless and tried to work out what he had just seen. "Where did you go? What are you playing at?" he asked the empty space before him…. "This is some sort of crazy trick," he told himself, and totally failed to convince himself.

He opened the door and walked into the flat, trying to shake off the feeling of doom that was growing in him.


"Hello sweetheart, had a good day?" Samantha asked.


"The usual; paper work and filing," he lied, and he hated lying to Sam. But he was told that as far as friends and family were concerned, he was a civil servant. Every time he had to lie he felt his gut churn.


She told him she loved him; she made him feel good. She was the most honest, clean and true thing in his life, and he loved her more than he could ever hope to put into words, and now he was in fear of losing her.


"I love you too, my angel, my life."


She laughed and smacked him on the butt, and told him to get ready.


They were going out for a meal with friends. Drake didn't want to, but arrangements had been made and he knew how much Sam was looking forward to it.


The restaurant was busy and they were early.


"A drink in the bar?" he asked.


"Love to babe. I'll have a Baileys."


"Jack Daniels and a Baileys," Drake said to the bartender, who busied himself with glasses and bottles.


"Ice?" was the only question that the bartender asked. "No, thanks," replied Drake.


He took the glasses over to a small table where Sam was waiting. Moments later, Mark and Wanda arrived and a social evening commenced.


Later. They were leaving the restaurant. Mark and Wanda had left moments earlier. Drake and Sam were crossing the road to their Volvo.


Kelly appeared in the road in front of Drake and said, "Now John, it's going to happen now."

A car pulled up just in front of them. "Drake!" called the driver. "John Drake!"


Drake looked and saw it was the agent he had spent the day with. He was pointing a handgun.


Drake turned and shoved his wife to the ground.


A shot rang out Drake was hit in the shoulder and the car sped away, wheels screeching. As he fell, he turned and saw his beloved wife crumpling behind him. The bullet had passed through him and was lost in the street in front of him. As he was collapsing he heard Samantha scream his name; blackness surrounded him, and he fell unconscious.


An unknown length of time later, he awoke in a bright, clean hospital room and found his wife sitting beside him.

"Hello sweetheart," she said with a smile. "You're going to be fine, but you lost a lot of blood. You have to rest so don't try to move."


She looked tired, but she was alive. John drake was happy and near unconscious again. Then he noticed the young girl standing by his bedside. She smiled and said, "It is all now as it should be. Rest, John Drake; we may yet meet again," and with that she vanished.