- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
End of the story
Tony glanced around the small blues bar. The place never seemed to change, and yet there was always something new. It was one of the reasons he liked the place so well. Coming here had been a good idea.

Two days ago, Vinnie had informed Tony he'd bargained a payout of three quarters of a million dollars. It was more than double what the will had originally given Tony. All he needed Tony to do was sign on the dotted line if he agreed. Accepting it meant he was relinquishing his right to any more. Given that he hadn't wanted anything at all, Tony had no problem with that.

The only thing Tony asked for in return was if Vinnie could add a clause that would prevent further direct contact with his family. In the future, he wanted any communication to come through legal counsel, even if it was only a Christmas card.

Vinnie's answer was sort and sweet. "Already done."

Tony hadn't hesitated to sign. After nearly a month of having the monkey of his family on his back, it was a relief to be done with it. It was liberating, and he wanted to celebrate. A night out with good music and friends had seemed like the perfect option.

Tony smiled watching Abby and Ducky dance. She hadn't been able to get McGee to dance with her but Ducky had volunteered, more than happy to indulge her. They'd made an odd couple; mismatched in height and attire, yet graceful and fluid in their movements, leading and following each other as though they'd practiced a routine for years.

"You're going to regret not dancing with her, Probie."

"I can't dance." McGee sighed heavily, toying with this drink. "Not like that anyway."

"Could take lessons," Gibbs pointed out.

McGee gulped. "Please don't suggest that to Abby."

"Why not?"

"Because she'll make me go." McGee groaned. "And you know she won't be happy without me being dressed in the right shoes and a stupid costume."

Tony snickered. He was right. Abby wouldn't go half way with something like that. And she'd love competition ballroom. Still…if McGee wanted to dance with her, it wouldn't be a bad way to go and do it up right. He said as much.

McGee glared at him. "Like you would ever--"

"Already have." Tony grinned, sipping his beer. "Even own a pair of real dance shoes."

"You do not!"

"Do." Tony countered. Sully had convinced him dancing would be fun, signing him up for classes one summer. And she'd been right. He'd enjoyed it; so much so he kept taking classes after she'd died. Every semester in college, Tony had signed up for a class: ballet, jazz, ballroom, swing, Latin, square dancing, clogging…he'd taken them all. Dancing was a nice in with the ladies. Every woman appreciated a man who was not only willing to dance, but also knew how. And it had taught him how to be comfortable in his body and move gracefully, something that came in handy when he was involved in sports.

McGee shook his head, pointing a finger at Tony, doubt still apparent in his expression. "Then why didn't you dance with Abby?"

"Because she's not the one I want to dance with." Tony gave Gibbs a warm smile and was pleased to see the older man's cheeks darken. The lighting was dim enough that he doubted McGee could see it.

"And she didn't ask me."

"Who didn't ask you what?" Ziva asked, returning from the ladies room. She still didn't know about Tony and Gibbs being a couple, but her status as a teammate and her support over the last few weeks made it easy to invite her to join in the celebration. The only one missing was Palmer. He had a date with Lee, and Tony could understand the junior Medical Examiner bowing out to spend a little alone time with his sweetheart.

"Abby didn't ask me to dance."

Ziva smirked, dark eyes sparkling as she took her seat. "Are you disappointed?"

"Naturally." Tony affected a pout.

Ziva held out a hand, smiling brightly. "Dance with me?"

"You know how?"

"Of course, I know how." She rolled her eyes.

Tony hesitated. Gibbs was the one he really wanted to dance with, but he knew that wasn't going to happen. Not in public at any rate. They'd never danced in private either for that matter. Tony had never broached the subject, and neither had Gibbs.

"Are you too much of a turkey to dance with me?"

"It's chicken, Ziva, not turkey." Tony laughed softly. "And no I'm not too chicken to dance with you."

"Perhaps you are afraid you can not keep up?" Her chin went up in a clear challenge. "Maybe your skill is lacking?"

McGee smirked. He obviously wanted to see Tony prove his claim.

Tony wasn't one to back down. Still he hesitated. He looked toward Gibbs, not quite asking permission but unwilling to proceed without it. Gibbs grinned at him. He slapped Tony on the shoulder.

"Go show her how it's done."

Tony grinned. He took Ziva's hand. As they stepped onto the dance floor, Tony told her, "Follow my lead."

Tony was glad they band was playing something with a faster tempo than usual. He didn't want to dance anything too intimate. Something like the Rumba was too sensual for him to really do well with anyone but someone he genuinely wanted to sleep with. That dance had been best described to Tony as the vertical expression of a horizontal desire, and he agreed wholeheartedly.

The Cha-cha-cha was a definitely more acceptable. It was faster, and allowed for more space between partners, without a lot of serious hip action. It was a relatively easy dance to do, if he didn't add any tricks. And since he didn't know how good Ziva was, he opted to play it straight.

She followed his lead well enough, although Tony could feel her hesitate from time to time. She wasn't quite as good as he was, and if she trusted him completely, that wouldn't have mattered. As it was, she still made a better than average partner, and Tony enjoyed dancing with her.

He wasn't totally surprised to find Abby waiting when the song was done. He knew she wanted to dance with him even though she hadn't asked earlier. She was just respecting the fact that he was here with Gibbs. Dancing with Ziva clearly indicated neither Tony nor Gibbs would mind.

Tony made a sweeping bow. "Would you like to cut in, Miss?"

"Yes, yes I would." She grinned, pig tails waving as she bounced on her toes. "I even asked the band to play us a song."

Tony laughed. That meant they'd be dancing Jive. Abby loved it, but it wasn't a dance that Ducky would be able to do. It was far too energetic and demanding for a man his age, especially if Abby wanted to do any lifts or flips. And she always wanted to.

When Tony had told Gibbs he and Abby went clubbing he hadn't meant that was all they did. Dancing, really dancing, was something they both enjoyed. Although, since contracting the plague, and Abby finding out Tony and Gibbs were a couple, they'd gone a lot less often.

The familiar strains of "Jump, Jive and Wail" started. Tony held out his hand to Abby. They'd done several routines in the past, each one decidedly fun and challenging. Tony picked the one with the most tricks since it was the one they'd spent the most time on and the one Abby liked the best.

Tony didn't really notice that the rest of the dancers had cleared the floor, ceding it them without hesitation. He also didn't pay much attention to the fact everyone was watching them. He just gave himself over to the dance, focusing more on Abby and matching her than anything else. That she could pull off the complicated steps in her platform boots never ceased to amaze him. Her unconditional faith in him with each lift or throw was heady. No one, not even Gibbs, had ever shown such absolute trust in him that way. But then, he'd never tried to toss Gibbs into the air or assist him in a back walk over.

Abby was grinning from ear to ear. She practically glowed. Tony had forgotten how much he liked seeing her so brilliantly happy. He was totally unaware that he looked much the same way.

They finished the dance, ending with a lift and a full body drop that had Tony catching Abby only inches from the floor. Both were breathing hard and sweating, but Tony felt wonderful. He'd missed this.

Tony blinked in surprise at the applause. Most of the time when he danced with Abby they weren't the only ones on the floor or the only skilled dancers in the room. For just a moment, he'd forgotten where they were, and that their dance routine would attract attention.

Tony neatly brought Abby to her feet. They shared a look before bowing to their audience. The way McGee's and Ziva's mouths gaped open in awe and Ducky was smiling like a proud grandfather made Tony laugh. But what really made Tony's heart beat faster was the open appreciation and admiration on Gibbs' face. It wasn't often he did something to warrant that look…at least not in public.

Waving off demands for an encore, Tony escorted Abby back to their table. He pulled her chair out. She kissed his cheek before sitting down.

"You really should rethink taking dance lessons, Probie," Tony stated as he sat down next to Gibbs, discreetly taking his hand under the table. "I think you'd have a blast."

"Tim!" Abby squealed, punching him in the arm with enough force to make McGee wince. Although whether it was the pitch of her voice or the actual hit that made him wince, Tony wasn't sure.

"You never said you were thinking of taking dance lessons." Abby bounced in her seat excitedly. "This is the kind of thing you should tell me."

"I'm—That is—" McGee shot her a wide-eyed look that reminded Tony of a deer caught in the headlights.

"I know the perfect place. Not that Tony doesn't know of some good studios. He's obviously a great dancer, and could give you some pointers." She shot Tony a quick warm smile. "I just meant that if you were looking for a partner to go with you, I'd be happy to. And it's not like I don't know how. So I could coach you a bit too."

Tony ducked his head to hide his smile at McGee's inability to get a word in as Abby continued speaking in her usual rapid fire, animated way. Gibbs bumped his shoulder with his own. Blue eyes meeting green in a sly look.

"That was mean," Gibbs whispered.

"Not mean." Tony whispered back. "He will have a good time."

"Looked like you certainly enjoyed it."

"I did." Tony readily admitted, taking a long drink from his beer. There was no point in denying it.

"When did you learn to do that?" Ziva asked Tony, giving Abby's ongoing monologue on merits of different dance styles to McGee a wary eye as though afraid to attract her attention too.

"Took lessons when I was a kid and just sort of stuck with it." Tony shrugged. That was essentially the truth, if a little watered down.

"Very commendable, Anthony." Ducky raised his glass in a silent toast.

"Why didn't you dance with me that way?" Ziva asked.

Tony looked at her in surprise. She sounded…envious. "I didn't know you could do Jive." It seemed a safer response than to say he doubted she'd have enough faith in him to trust he'd catch her.

"I've never really gotten to try it. My father considered dance a frivolous waste of time. But if I was going to insist on taking lessons, he was adamant I focus on more traditional dances. He would have preferred I stick to just ballet, only reluctantly permitting me to try others." She frowned, dark eyes drifting to focus on the dance floor. Her expression turned wistful. "It looked like fun."

"Maybe you and McGee could go together, my dear. Never too late to learn something new." Ducky smiled brightly, patting her hand. "We all could. I wouldn't mind brushing up a bit. Although, I am not sure I could match the display Anthony and Abigail gave us."

"Duckman, that would be awesome." Abby grinned, her attention turning away from McGee. The younger man looked decidedly relieved to no longer be her sole focus.

"That would be a great team building exercise." She didn't quite clap her hands in delight but Tony could tell it was a near thing.

"Would be better than sexual harassment training," Gibbs offered dryly. If it weren't for the sparkle in his blue eyes, and the way he'd squeezed Tony's hand, Tony would have thought Gibbs was putting down the idea.

"Do you dance, Gibbs?" Ziva asked, sipping her wine.

"Not as well as Tony."

Tony felt his cheeks warm at the praise he could hear in Gibbs' simple statement. He hoped he was still flushed enough from dancing that no one would notice.

"All it takes is a little practice," Tony said, modestly down playing a skill that had literally taken years to acquire.

"More than a little, my dear boy," Ducky smiled at him. "But to learn the basics is not so hard. Not really. Anyone can."

"When did you learn, Ducky?" McGee asked. Tony figured he had to be desperate to keep Abby's attention diverted from him to be asking Ducky for a story. It took a lot of willpower to stifle the snicker as the expression ‘any port in a storm' came to mind.

It was actually pleasant to let Ducky ramble about how as a lad he'd been desperate to impress a young woman he'd fancied. "I was a rather shy lad, a little awkward and not terribly good at sports. And Eloise was well…she was the raving beauty of the day. Positively enchanting." Ducky smiled fondly in memory. "She was very popular with everyone. Especially the captain of the soccer team."

At the time, dancing was still part of the school curriculum and Ducky thought it was a golden opportunity to attract her attention, to lure her away from the brawny sort she seemed to favor. And it might have been a good plan, if he hadn't been so nervous during his first opportunity to dance with Eloise in class that he'd tripped over his own two feet, breaking his wrist and tearing her new dress in the processes.

Ziva covered her smile with her hand. "Oh Ducky."

"Oh yes, my dear, it was quite a spectacle." Ducky chuckled. "So while Eloise now knew I was alive, I'm afraid I garnered more distain and disappointment than affection or admiration."

"She wasn't worthy of you, Ducky," Abby said, throwing an arm over his shoulder.

"Thank you, Abigail." Ducky kissed her cheek. "But the story doesn't end there."

"Of course not," Tony murmured to himself. Ducky's stories never ended in a predictable fashion. It was what made them interesting at times.

"Another lovely young woman named Deidre took pity on me. She was a bit of an outcast herself…far too focused on her studies to be thought of as fun. And regarded as a little too smart to be considered beautiful."

Abby huffed. "That's just stupid."

"Agreed." Ducky nodded his head. "But you know what young men are like. Many find intelligent women intimidating."

Ziva rolled her eyes and gave Tony a pointed look, implying he likely fallen into that category. He just stuck is tongue out at her. Sully had taught him early that smart women could be a lot of fun. But when he'd learned how homophobic his chosen profession could be, he'd adopted a cover as a playboy interested in only one thing. She still didn't know how much of an act that was. Tony wondered what her reaction would be if she found out. He decided to table that thought of some other time.

"Deidre was kind enough to work with me for hours after class." Ducky's blue eyes sparkled behind his glasses. "We were the hit of the spring formal, and were named king and queen as a result."

"Way to go, Duck." Gibbs raised his glass in salute. Tony lightly tapped it with his beer. McGee, Abby and Ziva did the same with their drinks.

Conversation drifted, as others around the table reminisced about moments of triumph. Tony wasn't entirely surprised to find out McGee scored a game winning home run once. He might not possess Tony's own experience with sports, but there was no way he could get through childhood without getting roped into at least one game or two. And everyone got lucky once in awhile. Nor was he entirely surprised to find out Ziva had managed to win a music competition with her piano playing when she'd been playing for less than half the time as the other students. Or that Abby would consider her greatest triumph from her youth to be convincing the entire cheerleading squad to get tattoos.

As he relaxed more, enjoying the music, the stories and good company, Tony could feel himself getting sleepy. He yawned. It wasn't early by his standards, but it had been a long day, and a longer month.

"Getting old, Tony?" Ziva teased, smirking at him.

He flipped her off. She just laughed.

"Think it's time to call it a night," Gibbs said, blue eyes assessing Tony. Tony tried to wordlessly relay he was fine but knew yawning again ruined it. Gibbs knew exactly how little sleep he'd gotten lately.

"But we having heard a story from you or Tony yet," Abby protested.

"You've heard plenty of DiNozzo's stories, Abbs." Gibbs snorted.

"Haven't heard any of yours, Boss," McGee countered.

McGee winced and pushed back a little from the table when Gibbs glared at him. "And you aren't going to, McGee."

"Right, Boss. Forget I said anything."

Tony was tempted to laugh, but knew better. It wasn't like he hadn't gotten similar chastisements from Gibbs in the past. And he likely would again.

"It is late. Mother will be wondering what's become of me." Ducky stood. He offered a hand to Abby. "Do you need a ride, my dear?"

"Hearse in the shop again, Abby?" Tony asked as he stood up. Having come with Gibbs, Tony hadn't given much thought to how everyone else was getting to the bar or how they were going home.

She nodded glumly. "I think she might be on her last legs."

"If we don't get a case this weekend, I'll go car shopping with you."

She gave him a breath stealing hug. "Thanks, Tony. You're the best."

Tony hugged her back, placing a kiss on top of her head. "Any time, Abby."

"Not sure that's such a good idea, Abby," Ziva said, shaking her head. "Tony's Mustang is in the garage too. Perhaps he's not the best person to advise you on a reliable automobile."

"She's not in the shop," Tony corrected her. "I'm having her detailed. There is a difference."

"Something more fuel efficient—"

"Not everyone wants to drive wind up toy." Tony shook his head.

"Simply because a car is not a gas chugger.--."

"Gas guzzler." Tony grinned. "It's gas guzzler."

"Whatever." She waved a hand. "Something efficient should at least be a consideration."

"Think the way you drive, body armor should be a consideration."

"I do not drive that badly."

McGee muttered something under his breath that Tony couldn't quite catch. He was willing to bet it hadn't been an agreement to Ziva's claim. It sounded more like something about the number of tickets she'd gotten in the last year.

They continued to debate the merits of various vehicles as they headed for the door. Ducky, Abby and Tony declared personal style and quality to be the most important factor. Ziva favored fuel economy and durability. McGee thought safety features and consumer report ratings should be considered. Gibbs stayed mute on the subject, giving Tony a look that said he found the whole discussion decidedly amusing.

As they passed the bar, the waitress from their last visit gave them a speculative glance. She was obviously confused by Tony and Abby walking hand in hand, with Gibbs only a step behind looking relaxed and easy. Tony gave her a wink and a smile, adding to her confusion just because he could.

Although, they hadn't planned it, having Abby go with Ducky, and Ziva riding with McGee rather than take a cab or the metro, made Tony leaving with Gibbs seem unremarkable. It was in hindsight something they should have planned since Ziva didn't know they were a couple. But Tony figured he and Gibbs could have easily come up with something if asked so it didn't really matter.

Tony sat back, settling in with a sigh. He smiled when Gibbs found has hand and held it.

"So you really think dance lessons would really be a good team building exercise?"

Gibbs chucked, raising their joined hands to his lips to place a kiss on Tony's knuckles. "Wouldn't mind seeing you dance again."

"What about dancing with me?" Tony asked without thinking.

Gibbs glanced his way, a slow, warm smile appearing. "Thought you'd never ask."

"The Rumba." Tony growled softly, voice readily conveying his desire. "When we get home."

Gibbs shivered. "You going to lead?"

"You want me too?"

"For tonight." Gibbs nodded. "I'll lead tomorrow."

"Deal." Tony grinned.

He was getting used to this easy give and take, to their settled, steady relationship. But Tony really hoped he was never so foolish as to just take it for granted just because it was familiar. The last thing he wanted to do was to forget how precious having someone like Gibbs in his life was. There weren't many like him.

"I love you Tony DiNozzo," Gibbs said softly. "Always and forever."

"Love you too, Jethro Gibbs." Tony squeezed the hand holding his. "Forever and always."