- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Tony finds out who called and why
Tony yawned widely, rubbing sleep from his eyes. He stretched, groaning softly as stiff muscles protested the movement. He smiled thinking about how he'd gotten so sore in the first place. It might be worth it to get Gibbs a little territorial again. No….Tony's smile grew to a grin, it would definitely be worth it. Absolutely and positively worth it.

He rolled on to his back, turning easily in Gibbs' loose hold. Green eyes met blue. "Good morning, Jethro."

Gibbs smiled. "Morning, Tony."

"You sleep okay?"

Gibbs nuzzled his cheek. "Very."

Tony sighed. He snuggled in closer, enjoying the feel of Gibbs' sleep warmed skin. He was glad they had the day off. There was no rush to get up and get moving, no need to cut their time together short.

"We should do this more often."

"Not going to argue," Gibbs placed a kiss on Tony's shoulder. "Getting the rest of the world to agree to let us could be tricky."

Tony laughed softly. "Just a trifling detail."

"Trifling?" Gibbs lifted his head. "You have been spending too much time with Ducky."

"He makes damn good scones." Whenever he could get away, Tony liked wandering down to Ducky's domain around three in the afternoon. He didn't really care for tea, but the food and pleasant company was always a draw.

"Tea and biscuits in a morgue." Gibbs rolled his eyes, looking exasperated but sounding amused. "Is there a reason no one I work with is normal?"

"Dunno." Tony's eyes twinkled. "Maybe because you're not normal either?"

Gibbs growled, pinning him down. His nimble fingers found the spot along Tony's ribs that left him laughing helplessly. Tony struggled, squirming in an effort to escape. He gasped for breath, pushing ineffectually at Gibbs' hands. Gibbs grinned, continuing to tickle him.

"Stop…Gibbs…c'mon." Tony panted, skin flushed, giggles making speech difficult. A noticeable hitch in his breathing caused him to hiccup. "P..p..please."

Gibbs halted his assault, pulling Tony closer to him. He lightly stroked up and down Tony's back, the gesture meant to calm and sooth.

When Gibbs had discovered where Tony was ticklish the first time, he'd been delighted with how freely he could make Tony laugh. Unfortunately, not long after that, Gibbs got a bit carried away and Tony had laughed so hard he'd stopped breathing. It was only for a minute, hardly anything to be worried about, but Tony knew that brief bout of apnea had scared the older man.

Tony had to work hard to reassure Gibbs that it was okay. He enjoyed having a chance to laugh uncontrollably; it made him feel good, relaxed and happy. Not that he wanted to be completely at the mercy of Gibbs' agile fingers on a daily basis, but Tony made sure his lover knew that being tickled once in a while wasn't going to hurt him. Since then Gibbs was decidedly careful, paying attention to all physical cues signaling Tony had enough before he got to the no longer breathing stage.

Tony's breathing was ragged for several minutes, stray chuckles escaping intermittently. "Bastard." The word lacked any real heat.

Gibbs kissed his forehead. "Never said otherwise."

"Nothing like an honest man." Tony snickered. He hiccupped again, wincing when the muscles of his abdomen protested.

Gibbs pulled back, blue eyes assessing him closely. Tony smiled, raising his hands to cup Gibbs' face. "I'm fine."

"You sure?"

"Hard to be sure," Tony gave him a sly look. "Might need to have you shower with me to be completely certain."

Gibbs grinned, before his expression shifted into mock seriousness. "A shower?"

"A shower," Tony agreed, nodding sagely. "Hot water therapy."

Gibbs arched an eyebrow. "Good for what ails you."

"Absolutely."

Tony slipped out of Gibbs' hold, standing up and then offering a hand to his lover. Gibbs took his hand with a smile, rising easily. Together they headed into the master bath.

Tony was glad Gibbs had made some upgrades to the room, making it more than simply utilitarian. The heated towel rack with oversized, fluffy towels and the very soft, fuzzy bath mat that felt so good under bare feet were nice additions. The new, larger mirrored cabinet above the sink with room for both their personal care items was definitely a nice upgrade. But the improvement Tony most appreciated was the oversized, massaging shower head that replaced the older, serviceable, low pressure head that Gibbs had used for years. The newer water heater in the basement capable of providing huge amounts of hot water was another plus.

Showering together was an opportunity to indulge in the need to physically express their affection for one another. It wasn't about sex. Sex was great between them and always an enjoyable experience, but Tony never got tired of having the chance to simply touch and be touched.

There weren't many times in his life when he could remember indulging in a luxury most people seemed to take for granted. His family had never been physically demonstrative. Only his Aunt Sully ever seemed inclined to hug Tony, ruffle his hair, kiss his cheek or pat him on the back. Everyone else treated him like a pariah, staying at arm's length. His mother and father….Tony forcibly shut of that line of thought, preferring to focus on the feel of Gibbs' soap slick hands massaging his neck and shoulders.

Tony groaned when Gibbs worked loose several knots. "God…that feels good."

"You're welcome."

Tony sighed as Gibbs continued working down his arms. He never realized how far the tension he routinely carried around with him could spread. He often felt the tightness in his shoulders, noticed the headache building when it got bad, but until getting a massage from Gibbs, Tony had no idea how much of the day to day stress showed up in his lower back, arms, legs, hands and feet.

Ducky had explained the benefits of therapeutic massage once in a long winded dissertation on stress and fight or flight induced reactions. But that was in relation to a spa trip Kate and Abby had planned, and Tony hadn't really paid very much attention. He'd been more interested in teasing Kate about getting naked in front of total strangers. Tony mentally conjured an image of her laughing, brown eyes bright and lively, dark hair blowing gently in the warm air---the way he'd seen her just moments before she died. He still missed her, often catching himself looking for her to be at the desk Ziva now used. She'd been so vibrant when alive it was hard to think of her in the past tense.

"Something wrong?" Gibbs asked softly, hands stilling.

"No." Tony turned around to face him, forcing himself to smile. "Why do you ask?"

Gibbs stared pointedly at him, clearly not buying the illusion Tony was trying to create. He said Tony's name quietly, but firmly, insisting on an honest answer.

Tony's smile slipped away. "Was just thinking about Kate."

Gibbs took a breath and nodded slowly. "Hard to believe it's been almost six months."

Tony closed his eyes, leaning into Gibbs. "Still miss her, Jethro."

Gibbs wrapped his arms around Tony, pulling him closer. "Me too."

They like that for several minutes, offering and receiving comfort in equal measure. With a soft sigh, Gibbs stepped back. He cupped Tony's face, kissing him sweetly. "Know you don't think so but there is a limit on what that new hot water heater can do."

Tony chuckled, before kissing Gibbs back. "Okay, so lets finish up in here and you can make breakfast while I do the laundry." No matter whose place they spent their days off household chores were usually a part of the routine.

"I could do the laundry."

Tony snorted. "No."

Gibbs rolled his eyes. "I can't believe you are still pissed about that Armani shirt."

"That one was my favorite." Tony scowled. "And you've ruined more than one."

Gibbs was an above average cook, but the man seemed incapable of doing laundry without shrinking, staining or destroying something. Usually the ‘something' belonged to Tony since most of Gibbs' clothing was selected more for durability and convenience than fashion. He didn't seem to grasp the idea that not everything was meant to be washed in hot water or dried at the highest possible setting. And he never read labels, not understanding why some things needed to be dry cleaned and others didn't.

"You really don't want me in the kitchen anyway," Tony told him.

"I don't mind having you in the kitchen."

"As long as I don't touch anything while you are cooking." Tony laughed, giving Gibbs a quick kiss. "C'mon, the water is getting cold."

Gibbs turned off the water. Tony handed him a towel before grabbing one for himself. He sighed as the warmed fabric touched his skin. It often sparked memories of good times with Sully. When he was a child, she would pull his PJ's fresh from the dryer for him to snuggle into before they'd stay up late and watch movies together.

Gibbs handed Tony his towel. "Breakfast will be ready in twenty."

"Okay." Tony nodded, bundling up his towel with Gibbs. After he got dressed, he started a load of whites.

Once the machine was doing its thing, he began gathering up their colors for another load. He walked down the hall, picking up clothing scattered from last night's activities. Tony grinned. It hadn't taken much to get Gibbs to forget ingrained basic training about neatness.

Tony grimaced when he spotted his cell phone still clipped to his belt. He really should have picked that up before now. If they'd gotten a case….he'd have never heard it ring from the bedroom. He shook his head. He made a note not to be so careless in the future, regardless of how distracting Gibbs was.

Out of habit he checked for missed calls. He frowned as he saw two listed. It was the same number that had shown up on his caller ID at the blues bar. The area code…he stared at it as he finally placed it. It had seemed familiar last night. Tony grimaced when he realized why. Long Island. The only people he knew there were his relatives.

Tony bit his lower lip. The only reason anyone from there would call…it wouldn't be good. He ignored the way his hand shook as he dialed the code to check his messages.

He swallowed hard as he listened to a voice he hadn't heard in years but instantly recognized. His uncle Gabriel, his father's older brother, was a big man, beefy and square, but his voice was a light tenor, nearly feminine in its quality. That incongruity made an indelible mark on Tony's memory.

"Anthony, this is your uncle Gabriel." There was the sound of a throat clearing and a soft sigh. "It is important that you call me as soon as you get this message." He annunciated a phone number with far more care than most people typically used, pausing between each number. That more than anything else told Tony whatever Gabriel had to say it was definitely important.

The second message was from his father's assistant, Andrea. According to the time stamp, she'd called half an hour after Gabriel, and she sounded…nervous, uneasy, distraught…Tony wasn't sure. He'd never heard her sound this way.

"Tony, it's Andrea. Gabriel DiNozzo asked me for your number. I gave it to him." There was a clear apology in her tone. "He said…he said he wanted to be the one to tell you. He is family…and I know that this is supposed to be the sort of thing family does, but well, I know your relationship with your father is…was…well, not exactly ‘Father Knows Best' material." Tony could almost hear her wince. "If Gabriel hasn't called you when you get this, call me, please."

Tony leaned against the wall, feeling weak in the knees. He stared at his phone uncertain of what to do. Andrea mentioned his father…Tony closed his eyes. He hung his head, praying silently. Please, God, please, don't let him have killed a family while driving drunk.

Tony shook his head. He was being stupid. If it had been his father killing innocent bystanders, he'd never have even heard about it…unless it made the papers. Gabriel wouldn't have bothered to call him---the family attorney, yes, and a team of investigators to make it look like someone else was at fault, definitely, but not Tony. Besides, his father normally had a driver. Tony could count on one hand the number of times he knew his father had been behind the wheel since the accident that killed his mother.

He bit his lip nervously. For Gabriel to call, it had to be bad. Maybe all that drinking finally caught up with his father and the miserable son of a bitch needed a liver transplant. What he knew of his aunts and uncles, they wouldn't offer to be a donor. Not without one hell of a lot of compensation. Or it could be cancer. There was a history of it in the family.

Tony stared at his phone. Putting off finding out for sure wasn't going to make it any easier. With a resigned sigh, Tony dialed Andrea's number. If this, whatever it was, had to do with his father, he'd rather hear about it from her than his uncle. He hung up without leaving a message when her voicemail picked up.

Tony took a deep breath, swallowing hard. It would have to be Gabriel then. The last time he'd spoken to his uncle was after his mother's funeral. They'd barely said ten words to one another. He couldn't honestly say he even knew his uncle that well then, and he sure as hell didn't really know him now.

Tony struggled to remember the number Gabriel had rattled off in his message, forgetting it was still available on the ID display. Trying to hold the phone steady his fingers clutched the phone so hard his knuckles bleached white. He couldn't even pin down what he was feeling that was making this so much harder than it should have been. He wasn't afraid, or even worried. At least he didn't think so. Tony jerked back blindly when he felt a hand on his shoulder, ducking to avoid a blow that never fell.

"Easy, Tony." Gibbs soothed, concerned blue eyes searched Tony's face. "What is it?"

Tony stifled the urge to laugh hysterically. He shook his head, unable to answer Gibbs' question. He didn't know. He hadn't made the damn call yet to find out.

"Tony? You're as white as a sheet." Gibbs stepped closer, one hand rising to rest on Tony's shoulder. "Why are you shivering?"

Tony suddenly realized he was cold. He shuddered, leaning in to Gibbs, instinctively seeking the warmth and safety the older man represented. His family didn't matter. They hadn't mattered in years. They shouldn't matter now. He had had Gibbs… friends…a job he loved. It was more than he'd ever hoped for or expected to have. It was more than he thought he deserved, but was all he ever wanted.

"Tony? Talk to me." Gibbs gently forced Tony's head up. "You're scaring me here."

"Sorry." Tony mumbled. "Phone." It was all he could say by way of an explanation, handing his cell phone to Gibbs.

Gibbs took the phone with a frown. He replayed both messages, listening intently. His eyes watched Tony the entire time.

While Gibbs listened to the messages, Tony took a deep breath and let it out slowly, and then took another. He mentally listed the fifty states in alphabetical order as he focused on breathing. It was a calming technique his frat brother, Joe, had taught him years ago. If the states weren't enough, he'd move on to reciting the alphabet backwards and then counting down from one hundred in Italian, then Spanish.

"Has to be bad news," Tony told Gibbs when the older man closed the phone. He was pleased by how steady his voice was.

"How do you know?" Gibbs asked quietly.

"You heard them. Did that sound good to you?"

"No." Gibbs grimaced. "But it—"

"I haven't spoken to my uncle Gabriel since I was fifteen." Tony's lips curled in a bitter smile. "Only reason for him to call now is because someone died. Given what Andrea said, I'm guessing it was my father."

It was oddly calming to say it out loud. Labeling it lessened his anxiety, made it easier to handle. He'd dealt with death before—on the job---and personally---his mother, Aunt Sully, Kate. He wasn't a novice at this.

Tony blinked, realizing with sudden insight that his father's death wouldn't, couldn't, have the impact of the loss of Sully or Kate had. His father hadn't played a significant roll in Tony's life in years. In all honesty, Tony wasn't sure his father had even played a meaningful roll in his life. He thought he'd gotten over being angry about that, had moved on from disappointed to resigned, but now Tony wasn't so sure.

Gibbs jaw tightened, muscles flexing in his cheek. Tony was surprised he didn't hear the other man's teeth grinding.

Tony held out his hand, mutely asking for his phone back. "I need to call Gabriel."

Gibbs' eyes narrowed. "I could call for you."

Tony smiled, warmed by the offer. He leaned in to lay his cheek against Gibbs'. "I appreciate that, but I doubt he'd tell you anything. And I really do need to do this for myself."

"Okay." Gibbs turned his head to place a kiss on Tony's temple. He handed Tony his phone, keeping his other arm around Tony's waist. "How about you sit down to do this?"

Tony knew that wasn't really a suggestion. Given that his knees were still a bit shaky, it wasn't an idea he really saw any need to argue with. He headed for the living room, grateful for Gibbs continued support even when he no longer needed it.

He sat on the couch, resisting the urge to curl in on himself. It smacked too much of being weak. He wasn't a child afraid of the boogey man.

Gibbs sat next to him, placing an arm around his shoulder, encouraging Tony to lean into him. Tony smiled.

"You don't have to—"

"I want to." Gibbs lightly tapped him on the back of the head. "Make your call."

Tony took a breath. Realizing Gabriel's number was still on his caller ID, he dialed. Tony leaned more into Gibbs as he waited for his uncle to answer.

"This is Gabriel DiNozzo."

"It's Tony, Gabriel." Tony used his uncle's first name, shrugging to himself. He wasn't sure of how he should actually address the man; Mr. DiNozzo seemed a bit too formal, and Uncle Gabriel was too familiar for a man he hadn't seen in almost twenty years. Using his first name seemed like the best choice. Tony forced himself to keep his tone neutral, his voice unhurried. "I got your message."

There was a brief pause. Tony waited. He didn't know his uncle well enough to be able to read anything into the moment of silence.

"Tony…thank you for calling back so quickly."

Tony held in a snort at Gabriel's overly polite response. And it wasn't quick. The message had been on his phone for a good twelve hours, but he wasn't going to quibble.

"I'm not entirely sure how to--."

"Best option is usually just to say it," Tony interjected quietly. "There really is no good way to give bad news." As a cop, he'd made similar speeches often enough to know. Some ways were better than others, but none were truly good.

"Quite." Gabriel cleared his throat. "Two days ago, your father, suffered a minor heart attack."

Tony nodded, forgetting for a moment that Gabriel couldn't see him. He waited for the rest. There had to be more. He wanted confirmation without having to ask for it.

"While at the hospital last night, he had another. This one was massive…and fatal."

Tony blinked. He had no idea what to say. Tony hadn't seen to his father since that fateful day when he told him he was accepting the sports scholarship to Ohio State. And other than the decidedly inappropriate, obligatory birthday presents that came every year, they hadn't been in contact. Was he supposed to say he was sorry? Should he offer his uncle condolences even though he always thought the two men despised each other?

"Tony?"

"I'm here." He'd evidently been quiet too long. "I'm just—"

"I'm sure this is a shock to you."

Tony rolled his eyes at the understatement. Given that he'd always expected to find out about his father's death via an obit in the newspaper, and that he thought the man would go as a result of liver failure, this was definitely a surprise.

"Do you need me to do anything?" Tony asked, thinking that question seemed safe enough.

"No. Arrangements have already been made. The funeral will be held on Wednesday."

Tony nodded again. "At Immaculate Conception?" The church had been the DiNozzos' traditional parish for several generations. The last Tony had been in it was for Sully's funeral.

"Yes." Gabriel seemed as uncertain as Tony about how to proceed. "I can arrange for the corporate jet to be available for you, or Andrea can get you first class tickets if you'd rather fly commercially."

Tony blinked. "Fly?"

"I thought it might be easier than driving from D.C." Gabriel clarified.

It would be easier to fly than drive, but Tony didn't want anyone else making travel arrangements for him. He could do that himself…assuming he was even going to attend. "Thank you, but I prefer to handle those arrangements myself."

"Very well." Gabriel paused and then added, "The reading of the will has been scheduled for Thursday morning."

Tony frowned, his free hand seeking and finding Gibbs', holding it tightly. "Do I need to be there for that?" From the time he was twelve, his father had essentially cut Tony financially, and had sworn he wasn't going to leave him a dime.

"Anthony made a regular habit of changing his will." A thread of annoyance was clear in Gabriel's voice. "I have no idea what it contains, but his attorney has made a list of people requested to appear and your name is on it."

Tony bit back a curse. He'd have to call his own lawyer and make sure he had legal representation for the reading. When Sully's will was read, it had felt more like skinny dipping with hungry sharks than a simple legal formality. Many of the family in attendance had been expecting her to leave them something and were prepared to fight tooth and nail to get it. He wasn't going to make the mistake of thinking the reading of his father's will would be any better. It was best to go in prepared for the worst.

"Let me know when you will be arriving and I'll make sure the staff has a room ready for you at the house."

Tony didn't even hesitate to refuse that offer. He wasn't sleeping in that house. Not just no, hell no. There were way too many bad memories and negative associations there.

"I appreciate the offer, but I think I'd be more comfortable staying at The Towers." The Towers was a high end resort the family often used when they wanted to impress corporate clients.

"As you wish." Tony couldn't see Gabriel dipping his head, but he had no trouble picturing an abbreviated bow, signaling acceptance of his decision. "A number of rooms have already been booked for people coming in from out of town. I'll have one reserved for you."

"Thank you, Gabriel." Tony waited for a moment to see if there was anything else. He was more than ready to terminate the call when Gabriel spoke again.

"I am sorry for your loss, Tony."

Tony raised both eyebrows. Whatever he'd lost had been lost a long time ago. It was hardly something for Gabriel to express sorrow over now. He managed to keep the surprise and bitterness out of his voice when he responded, but a bit of honest sarcasm leaked in despite his best efforts.

"A greater loss for you than me, I think."

There was another brief pause as though Gabriel wasn't quite sure what to say. "Contact Andrea with your travel information. She'll make sure you have transportation from the airport to the hotel."

"I will." Tony had already planned to call Andrea. She'd know who was coming, when, and how long they'd be staying. She probably even knew the contents of his father's will. "Good-bye, Gabriel." Tony hung up without giving Gabriel a chance to respond.

Tony sighed. He shook his head before resting it against Gibbs' shoulder.

"Was it your father?" Gibbs asked.

"Yeah." Tony closed his eyes. "Heart attack. Last night."

"You okay?"

A soft chuckle escaped. "I really don't know." Tony bit his lower lip. "I just…I haven't seen or spoken to him in years. Not really sure how I should feel right now."

"You feel what you feel…not what you should feel or what other people expect you to feel." Gibbs placed a kiss in his hair. "It isn't something you have to explain or apologize for."

Tony snuggled in closer. "Thanks."

"Any time."

Tony opened his eyes and titled his head so he could look at Gibbs. "Funeral is Wednesday."

"Plenty of time to ask for leave." Gibbs raised a hand and gently forced Tony's head back on to his shoulder. "You are entitled to the whole week if you need it."

"I know." Bereavement leave gave everyone five days. Tony's jaw tightened. He'd only taken one for Kate, and she meant a hell of a lot more to him than his father had. Working had helped then. It was good therapy. And Kate would have understood; she knew what they did was important. His father---his father never thought Tony's profession was worth anything at all. He saw being a cop and even a government agent as ‘a demeaning civil servant job'.

"Not sure I want more than Wednesday and Thursday."

"Okay." Gibbs ran a hand up and down Tony's back. "That's what we'll put in for then."

Tony blinked, and then raised his head to look at Gibbs. "We?"

"I've got plenty of vacation time on the books." Gibbs regarded him steadily. "I'll be coming with you."

Tony looked away. As much as he appreciated and needed Gibbs' support, he didn't want his lover subjected to his family. Wasn't sure he wanted Gibbs to know what they were like.

"You don't have—"

"I want to." Gibbs kissed him. "You are one of mine. I take care of my own. Understand?"

His earlier epiphany about his family not mattering came back to him. All that mattered was the man before him. Tony smiled. "Thank you."

"You're welcome." Gibbs' blue eyes held Tony's green. "Forever and always."

Tony blushed, looking away. He patted Gibbs' chest, above his heart, trying to express a similar sentiment without having to actually say the words. He knew he got it right when Gibbs wrapped both arms around him in a warm embrace, cradling him securely.

Safely held in Gibbs' arms Tony believed it would be okay. Somehow. Eventually. Everything would be all right.