- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Tony and Gibbs fly to Tony's home town. They meet one of Tony's relatives.
Tony eyed the flight board before looking at his watch again wondering why the time wasn't passing as slowly as it usually did. He wasn't eager to get on the plane. In fact, he was seriously considering not going at all.

"You already paid for the tickets."

"It's only money." Tony grimaced, giving Gibbs a dirty look. "Not even yours."

"True," Gibbs agreed, looking up from the book he'd brought with him. He appeared to be his usually calm, unruffled self. It made Tony want to hit him, except that he counted on the other man's unflappability. He relied on it shamelessly for the past two days to balance his own wildly fluctuating emotions. It was hard to be pissed at someone who consistently provided just what he needed when he needed it.

"You could call Andrea and tell her you've changed your mind."

"Yeah, I know." Tony sighed, laying his hand on Gibbs' arm in a brief, wordless apology. "It's just—"

"I know." Gibbs' lips curled in a small, understanding smile.

"You'd think after all the shit I've seen and done as a cop and an agent this kind of thing wouldn't make me--" Tony hesitated, not sure how to describe what he was feeling. A little nervous, uneasy, angry, disappointed, even scared. No one word seemed to describe it adequately. And scared wasn't one he even wanted to admit to even if it fit the best.

"Ducky says going to see his family gives him the willies."

Tony chuckled, remembering some of the older man's anecdotes about his family members. Like most of his stories they were a bit long winded and round about, but most were amusing. And Tony found it comforting just to listen to Ducky talk.

The ME had been amazingly supportive when he found out Tony was requesting time off for his father's funeral. Ducky hadn't offered any meaningless platitudes or useless reassurances. He'd nicely refrained from saying he was sorry for Tony's loss, seeming to understand Tony's mixed emotions about what if anything he'd lost with his father's death. Instead, Ducky simply asked if there was anything he could do to help.

"You already did it, Duck," Tony had assured him.

Abby didn't say a word when he told her he'd be taking some time off and why. She just wrapped her arms around him in a breath stealing hug. Tony had hugged her back, hanging on for a long time, soaking up the comfort and warmth being so freely given. How anyone could ever think her exuberant affection qualified as sexual harassment he couldn't begin to guess.

McGee knew Tony's relationship with his father was anything but stellar. He didn't know the particulars, and if Tony had his way McGee never would. The younger agent had started to say he was sorry, but something in Tony's expression stopped him before he could to more than open his mouth. Ultimately, like Ducky, McGee simply asked if he there was anything he could do. And like Ducky, his just making the offer had been enough.

Tony debated with himself for several minutes before opting to tell Ziva as well. Not that he really wanted to, or felt the same degree of connection with her that he shared with his other teammates, but she was a teammate and deserved to know why he was taking time off. Besides, not telling her would have made it seem like a bigger deal than it really was.

She had stared at him with dark eyes that seemed to look through him. He had no idea what she was looking for but whatever it was seemed to satisfy her. She didn't offer to hug him, which he would have found more disturbing than comforting, nor did she offer condolences. She just nodded once, relaying a wealth of understanding without saying a word.

It made Tony wonder what her relationship with her own father was like. Given that Daddy David raised his son, Ari, to be a double agent, using him as a tool…Tony could see where the man might have a lot in common with Anthony DiNozzo Sr. If that was the case, then Ziva's relationship with her father probably wasn't much different than Tony's was with his.

The Director had offered the usual polite condolences when Tony submitted his request for bereavement leave. And for that, Tony was almost grateful. It kept her firmly in the realm of bystander in his life. She didn't know he wasn't sorry his father was dead, didn't know he had no real reason to be. And that was fine with him.

She suggested he take the entire week, but Tony declined. Three days was already more than he'd originally planned. But Gibbs was right. After dealing with his family, a long weekend might well be necessary. It could take that long to get his head screwed on straight and he didn't want it affecting his work.

Gibbs had put in his request for three days leave not long after Tony submitted his. As usual, the man didn't explain himself. But Abby, Ducky and McGee knew why, and each had offered their own subtle approval of his going with Tony.

Ziva would be the only teammate not in the know. Tony had a bet with McGee and Abby over how long it would take her ask one of them Wednesday. He really hoped Ziva had the self-restraint he thought she had. He'd make a hundred bucks if she held out until ten. McGee had the nine am slot. Abby went with eight. Both could equally and honestly claim Gibbs hadn't said anything to them about why he was taking the time off or where he was going.

Gibbs didn't offer any explanation to the Director either. With all the time he had on the books, a reason wasn't necessary, but Tony would bet a month's salary Shepard asked anyway. He knew Gibbs had a ready excuse if he saw the need to offer one. Tony was fairly certain Gibbs didn't give it though.

The man could be decidedly tight lipped about things he didn't consider anyone else's business. If Shepard had forgotten that from when they'd worked together before, Tony figured this was a refresher. She might be in command of the agency, but that didn't mean she was in charge of Gibbs. Tony didn't think anyone could really lay claim to that.

Tony sighed when the gate attendant called for first class passengers to board. He debated ignoring the call. Gibbs stood up and looked at him, clearly letting him know the choice was his. Tony grimaced, then nodded. He wasn't a child any longer. He could do this.

"You want the window or the aisle?"

"Aisle."

Tony laughed. "Figured."

He offered Gibbs the carryon while he took the suit bag. For two days, neither of them felt a need to bring much. And Tony refused to check any luggage. Too much stuff had been lost too often for him to trust that his bags would arrive at his final destination if let out of his sight. So, if it couldn't go on the plane with him, it didn't go.

The stewardess smiled warmly at him, giving him an appreciative once over. Under other circumstances, he might have flirted with her, but having not slept well since hearing of his father's death, Tony really couldn't summon the energy to feign interest. He gave her a polite, distant smile, not making eye contact.

Gibbs waited for him to take the window seat. There was a bit less leg room than Tony would have liked, but still more available than there would have been in coach. And he really didn't mind having Gibbs between him and everyone else. It was one more way the older man looked out for him, and Tony was grateful.

Tony watched the other passengers board. He amused himself by guessing what their reason for traveling might be. There were a lot of vacation homes in the Hamptons and it was a safe bet half the people boarding were going to either close up the house for the season or using up the last of their vacation time. Some were obviously business travelers. Suits and ties were a dead give away.

Tony smiled at the little girl who was babbling excitedly to a woman who had to be her mother about the cookies grandma had promised to let her help make when they arrived. He wondered for a moment what that might be like. He couldn't remember either of his grandmothers ever baking cookies, much less letting him help with the process.

Gibbs gave him a look, and Tony shrugged. He wasn't sure how to explain feeling nostalgic about a childhood experience he never had. And he really didn't want to try to explain being jealous of a child.

Gibbs smiled. "I know how to bake cookies."

Tony arched an eyebrow. "Do you?"

Gibbs nodded. "When we get home, I'll even let you help."

Tony grinned. He really loved this man. Not having any privacy to give Gibbs a kiss, Tony settled for briefly caressing the back of the other man's hand.

Gibbs smiled. He pulled one of the dog-eared airline magazines from the pouch in the seat in front of him. "Find the crossword."

Tony nodded. The flight was only going to be a little over an hour. They could easily finish the puzzle in that time. And it gave them a great excuse to sit closer together, to brush against one another, to ignore everything else around them.

When the beverage service was offered, Tony opted for water. He would have preferred a stiff drink, but he decided against it. He wasn't like his father. Tony enjoyed a good drink, but he didn't have to have one.

Gibbs got his usual coffee. He made a face when he sipped it. There was no way what they offered could be as good as Manny's Mud. And even if it was, they likely didn't make it as strong as Gibbs preferred.

"Should have brought some from home," Gibbs muttered.

"Don't think security would have let you bring it." Given how tight things had become of late, anything liquid was a big no-no. And coffee beans would likely have set off alarms somewhere because they were off used to disguise the smell of drugs from security dogs.

Gibbs eyes narrowed. "I have my gun."

Tony chuckled. He had no trouble picturing Gibbs facing off with a security guard over whether or not his cup of coffee or bag of beans could be allowed on the plane. His loyalty said Gibbs would win that showdown, but his better sense knew Gibbs would be outnumbered in no time.

"Don't think the Director would be pleased to know you'd started an incident in the Dulles International Airport."

"Wouldn't be the first time."

"No." Tony agreed with a smirk. "Kind of my point, Boss."

Gibbs moved his hand. Instead of the light head smack Tony was expecting, Gibbs ruffled his hair, before massaging his neck lightly. Tony sighed, soaking up the comfort that relaxing touch engendered.

Together they focused on the crossword puzzle. For most of the flight Tony lost himself in the familiar activity, pretending they were at his kitchen table working the Sunday puzzle. Or that they were sitting on the basement steps together, Gibbs taking a break from working his boat to look over his shoulder.

Tony winced when the Captain's voice crackled over the intercom announcing they were ten miles out and requesting they fasten their seatbelts. He hated the loud static that always punctuated any comments from the cockpit. It reminded him of trying order through the archaic drive thru things.

Tony stuffed the magazine back into the seat pocket. Next person would have to ask for another if they wanted to do the crossword.

He tried hard to maintain a calm façade. He took a deep breath and released it slowly. He wasn't even sure why he was nervous. It wasn't like his aunts, uncles, or cousins could do anything to him. He'd been living without any active family support since Sully died. If his father chose not to leave him anything in the will, Tony was no worse off. And if one of his relatives was foolish enough to try and hit him, Tony was confident he could handle it. And if for some reason he couldn't, Gibbs would probably take whoever's hand off at the elbow.

"You okay?"

Tony tried to smile before letting the effort die still born. "I'm okay."

Gibbs hand was on his shoulder, squeezing once. "I got your six, Tony."

"I know." He suddenly found it a lot easier to smile, stepping confidently into the aisle, ready to leave..

Another thing Tony liked about first class was being the first to deplane. He always despised the impatient jostling that was a usual occurrence in coach. It was definitely nicer to be able to just stroll off the plane.

Gibbs kept pace easily, walking beside him as they made their way though the airport. Tony almost regretted not having any bags to claim, knowing that process would slow them down. He mentally slapped himself for seeking ways to delay the inevitable. Putting it off wouldn't make it any easier. And more often than not, it just made things worse.

Heading for the exit, Tony scanned the area. He wasn't sure who he should be looking for. Andrea had only told him a car would be waiting. That could mean anything---a limo, a cab, a chartered shuttle, or even a company car and driver. He assumed someone would be holding a placard with his surname on it.

Gibbs nodded toward a young man in a dark suit who Tony had spotted at almost the same time. "Our ride," Gibbs murmured.

"Sure looks like it."

The younger man smiled broadly when they approached. Tony thought he didn't look old enough to shave, much less drive. He wondered if Gibbs thought the same thing.

The kid held out his hand. "Anthony DiNozzo?"

"Tony," he corrected as he shook hands. The only person Tony didn't mind calling him ‘Anthony' was Ducky.

The driver man nodded. He looked askance at Gibbs. "And you, Sir?"

Blue eyes narrowed as he assessed the younger man. Tony gave the kid points for not backing up under the weight of that intense stare. "Gibbs."

The kid nodded again. "I'm Daniel DiNozzo. You can call me Danny."

Tony frowned trying to place the name. It clicked a second later. "Gabriel's youngest?"

"Yep." Danny grinned broadly. "Didn't think you'd remember me."

Tony wasn't going to admit that he didn't. Not really. He just smiled and shrugged one shoulder. "You look like your father."

With his broad shoulders, dark hair and hazel eyes, Danny was a younger version of Tony's uncle. The expressive face and manner was clearly Danny's. Tony couldn't remember his uncle ever grinning, or appearing quite so approachable. Danny had been five or six the last time Tony had seen him. It gave Tony a new sense of just how much time had passed since he'd encountered any of his relatives.

"Yeah," Danny sighed, "People tell me I look like my father a lot."

It didn't sound like he was particularly happy with the comparison. But Tony chose not to read too much into it. There weren't a lot of kids Danny's age who wanted to be thought of as a miniature version of their fathers…even if they liked and respected them.

"If you'll come with me…The car is this way." Danny led them to where he had parked. Anywhere else, the Lincoln Towncar would probably have towed for being left in the drop off and immediate pick up zone, but the DiNozzo family had a lot of influence. More than enough allow parking where others couldn't.

Danny popped the trunk. He offered to take their bags, but Gibbs shook his head. Danny frowned but didn't protest when Gibbs put the carryon and garment bag in the trunk himself. He opened the door for Tony. Tony got in. He was amused when Gibbs chose to open the other door for himself, sliding in on Tony's left. Leave it to his lover to make a point without saying a word.

He saw Danny roll his eyes. That alone told Tony Danny wasn't used to playing chauffer. If he was…he'd have either controlled the impulse, or he'd have made sure Tony couldn't see him do it. Tony wondered if the kid had pulled the short straw to get stuck with picking him and Gibbs up. Or maybe it was punishment of some kind.

As Danny pulled away from the curb, he cast a glance over his shoulder at Tony. "The Towers?"

"Yes, thank you."

Danny nodded. His eyes met Tony's in the review mirror. "My father said you're a federal agent."

It wasn't exactly a question, but Tony could hear one in the statement. He didn't see any harm in indulging Danny's curiosity. "I am."

"Which agency?" Danny asked eagerly.

"NCIS."

Danny frowned. He'd likely been expecting something more famous, with more panache like FBI, CIA or NSA. Tony waited to see if Danny would ask the question he'd gotten used to answering ever since he'd taken the job. The younger man didn't disappoint.
"What does that stand for?"

"Naval Criminal Investigation Service. We handle crimes involving Naval and Marine personnel."

"So you're a navy cop?" Danny flashed a grin.

"Something like that."

"Do you like it?"

"I do." He more than liked it, he loved it. He wouldn't have stayed so long if he hadn't.

"Must be exciting."

"It has its moments." He and Gibbs traded amused looks at his understatement. Their cases were far more interesting and complicated than Tony expected when he took the job. But then even his movie plots couldn't compare to some of the cases they'd handled.

"I wanted to be a cop for awhile." Danny sounded a bit wistful.

Knowing Gabriel, he had probably mapped out his youngest son's life for him, much the same way Tony's father had. Being a cop hadn't exactly been high on Anthony DiNozzo Sr.'s list of career choices any more than attending Ohio State had been considered an acceptable university. Gibbs shifted slightly so he was closer to Tony, mutely offering support of his decision to defy his father. Tony bumped Gibbs' knee with his own.

"Pay isn't great and the hours are lousy," Tony told Danny, unsure if consolation needed to be offered or not, but wanting to offer it to the younger man just the same.

"Oh, I know." Danny laughed softly. "Was kind of the reason I gave up the idea when I was sixteen. But getting to carry a gun, be one of the good guys…it still looks like fun."

"It can be." Tony wasn't going to deny that. He enjoyed his job. And he was proud of being one of the good guys.

"Hours aren't much better as a doctor, but the pay is."

"You're a doctor?" Gibbs asked, sounding as surprised as Tony felt.

"Not yet," Danny shrugged. "I'm a lowly med student at the moment."

Tony wondered if that career had been Danny's choice, or something his father thought would have sufficient panache to be worth letting Danny do. It seemed a bit too personal a question to ask, so Tony opted instead for satisfying another detail that had piqued his curiosity earlier.

"How did you end up playing chauffer?" The real question was why a family member and not someone hired but it seemed rude to put it hat way.

"I volunteered," Danny said with refreshing candor. "Lot of relatives coming in from out of town for the funeral. Most of whom I've never even laid eyes on. I thought this would be a good way to meet them."

"Could do that at the funeral."

Danny snorted. "You ever try to talk to people at a funeral?"

Tony had to admit he had a point. Other than speaking to his friends at Kate's funeral, he hadn't said much to anyone. Dealing with is own grief was hard enough, he didn't want to try and handle that of others. And with his family---he was fairly certain most of them would use the moment to size up competition or look for a weakness they could exploit. He didn't plan to speak to them any more than absolutely necessary. Had he met Danny there first he likely wouldn't have given the younger man more than a passing glance.

"So you live in D.C.?"

"Just outside actually."

"Have you been to see all the monuments?"

"Several times." Tony smiled, trading another look with Gibbs. They'd recently done a tour of them. It had been one of his most memorable visits. "The best way to see them is at night."

"I am hoping to get to see them sometime."

"You've never gone?" Tony could feel both brows rising. DC wasn't that far away. Most grade school students within a days drive went at some point.

"Mother is a bit…" Danny waved a hand helplessly as though not sure what would to chose.

He knew first hand how his aunt could be. She never wanted him anywhere near her children. He remembered her firmly declaring…"With all the bruises and cuts on that boy he's a walking disaster area. I won't have him hurting my children with his clumsy antics."

Shaking his head, dismissing the memory, Tony offered what he thought would be an acceptable adjective. "Marissa is a bit…overprotective."

"Like a rabid pit bull."

Tony smiled at the dry statement. It was hard not to like Danny. He seemed like an okay kid.

"But she's my mother, so I try not complain too much."

Gibbs snorted quietly. Tony knew what his lover was thinking. To the former Marine, no matter what Danny's age, he was definitely not an adult if his mother was still dictating his actions. Danny definitely lost points in Gibbs' evaluation.

"So are you staying in town for long?"

"No." Tony couldn't help how curt he sounded. If it hadn't been for Gabriel's reference to the will and Andrea's assurances that he needed to be there, Tony wasn't entirely certain he'd be here now. There hadn't been anything for him here when he was eighteen, and he doubted there was anything for him here now.

Danny bit his lower lip, clearly aware he'd touched a sore spot. He nodded his head once. Tony gave him points for not apologizing. He hadn't done anything wrong, but if Gabriel had mentioned Tony's profession, it was a safe bet why Tony hadn't been back in almost twenty years had probably come up as well.

"Your old man know you volunteered for this gig?" Gibbs asked. Only long hours observing Gibbs during interrogations made Tony aware of the edge of suspicion in the older man's voice.

"No." Danny shook his head. "My parents don't approve of family members performing menial tasks."

That sounded almost like something Danny had memorized by rote. Hazel eyes met green. "You won't say anything to my mother or father about this, will you?"

Tony's jaw tightened for a moment remembering past punishments for disobedience. Gibbs placed a hand on Tony's thigh, squeezing his once, reminding him he wasn't at his family's mercy any more, that he had made a life for himself he could be proud of. He tipped his head in agreement of the request to keep Danny's small rebellion a secret. He barely knew the younger man, but he didn't want him to suffer for his minor defiance.

"If anyone asks, all I know is there was a car and driver to pick me up. We had no reason to speak to one another."

"Thanks."

Tony smirked. "Don't mention it."

Danny chuckled. "Mum's the word."

Tony was almost sorry to see the hotel. On one hand he'd have liked to talk more with Danny, and on the other he desperately wanted to get away from him. There was probably a lot Danny didn't know, which could engender more questions Tony didn't want to answer. And Tony really didn't want to know just how much the younger man might know. There was still so much he hadn't been able to tell Gibbs yet; Tony sure as hell didn't want to be talking about it in front of him with a kid who was still basically a stranger, blood relative or not.

Danny pulled into the half round drive, parking under the stately portico. It was oddly comforting to see the hotel looking so much like he remembered it. Tony knew a lot had to have changed over the years; it was good to know some things were constant.

The uniformed doorman approached and opened the door, standing almost at attention. "Welcome to The Towers."

"Thank you." Tony slid out, waiting for Gibbs to join him. When Danny popped the trunk, Gibbs got the bags, shooing the doorman a ‘back off' look. The doorman didn't bat an eye, simply allowed Gibbs to do as he so obviously wanted.

Tony wasn't quite sure why Gibbs needed to take responsibility for their things. It could be a hold over from the job. No one else but one of the team handled their gear. It could be just his being independent and used to doing it for himself. But Tony suspected it had more to do with Gibbs being territorial. He didn't want anyone else handling what he considered his or what might be his by extension, ie. Tony's bags.

Danny got out of the car, approaching him. Tony expected a hand shake and a ‘nice to have met you' good-bye. Instead Danny gave him a look he couldn't quite read. "I didn't think federal agents got bodyguards." He spoke quietly, making it clear he didn't want to be overheard.

"They don't." Tony grinned, not surprised by the younger man's initial assumption. Everything about Gibbs actions and manner suggested he looking out for Tony…it just didn't reveal why.

Danny frowned, looking at Gibbs. "He's not your lawyer." There was no doubt in the younger man's voice.

"No." Tony's smile widened. "In Gibbs' line of work, cutthroat is still a verb."

Danny raised both eyebrows, obviously not sure what to make of that statement, and clearly at a loss as to exactly what role Gibbs played. Tony didn't feel any need to enlighten him. The kid would either have to ask outright, or settle for not knowing.

Tony held out his hand. "It was nice to see you again."

"You too." Danny shook his hand. "A limo will pick you up tomorrow."

"I expected as much."

Danny seemed reluctant to leave. Tony could sympathize with his desire to know more about a cousin he might never get one on one time with again, and he knew the younger man still had a lot of questions. But he was tired, and no longer in the mood to indulge Danny. D.C. wasn't that far away. If the kid ever grew balls big enough to seriously defy his parents, he was welcome to visit Tony on his own turf. Danny had gotten their flight information and arrival time from Andrea, he could just as easily get Tony's phone number. If Danny really wanted answers, he should be willing to work for them.

"Good night, Danny." It was a clear dismissal.

"Yeah…good night."

Gibbs gave him a questioning look as Danny drove away. Tony waved it off with an ‘I'll explain later' gesture. Right now all he wanted to do was check in and get away from anyone else who, like Danny, might be looking to grab a moment of his time or sneak a peak at Anthony DiNozzo Sr.'s only son.

The luxury room that was waiting for them was being paid for on someone else's tab. They might as well make the most of it. Tony would have a bottle of something very expensive sent up, and with a stiff drink in hand, he'd answer whatever questions Gibbs wanted to ask.