- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Gibbs, Tony and Vinnie debrief after the reading of the will
Gibbs settled into the couch, pleased to have Tony lean into him. After that ‘clusterfuck' of a will reading as Vinnie called it, he wanted the younger man to stay close. The shakes Tony had in the car had passed, but Gibbs knew a few pieces of candy weren't anywhere near enough to keep them from reappearing. Room service had been ordered and once it was delivered Gibbs planned on making Tony eat a full meal.

"So what happens now?" Tony asked, looking at Vinnie.

It was a good question; one that Gibbs wouldn't mind hearing the answer to. Nothing had been resolved at the will reading that he could see…with the possible exception of ensuring any one in that room would think twice before trying to contact Tony directly. And God help them if they were stupid enough to ignore his warning. Gibbs was in no mood to be lenient with any of them.

"If they have any sense…and from what I've seen they don't…" Vinnie grimaced shaking his head. "Man. I have never seen a family self-destruct so fast or so spectacularly before." He gave Tony a commiserating look. "Your family makes mine look normal, and I never, ever, thought I'd say that."

Tony snorted. "I warned you."

"Yeah, you did." Vinnie took a long swallow from the scotch Tony had poured when they got back to the hotel. Gibbs hadn't objected. A stiff drink seemed to be in order. Although, Tony had yet to touch his drink and Gibbs hadn't done more than sip from his.

"Like I was saying, if they have any sense, they'll give you the $250,000 your father left you, and ask that you sign a no contest agreement. With the amount of money being talked about, the two fifty is a pittance and something the estate could easily part with without really affecting anyone else's share significantly. They could still fight over the rest at their leisure. Paying you off would simply eliminate one more person from the fray."

Tony frowned. "I was never in it."

"True." Vinnie shrugged. "But they didn't know that until today. Which is I suspect at least one reason why your Aunt Maria asked if you had any objections."

"Another reason being her compulsive need to know where every player stands before letting them out of her sight." Tony rolled his eyes.

"It is a trait that probably works well at the office." Vinnie sipped his drink again. "I mean, she is the chief financial officer of a successful company. And based on the crap she was saying to your uncle, not to mention what's been reported in some of the trade magazines about her, I'm guessing she does a damn sight more than just her job at the company."

"She does." Gibbs heard Tony's near silent sigh and wrapped an arm around his shoulders. He got a small smile in return as Tony settled more heavily against him.

"You think she deserves to run the company?" Tony asked.

"Not my call." Vinnie shrugged noncommittally. "But it looks like your father might have thought so." He pursed his lips. "Or given how messed up everyone is…he did it to set them at one another and hoped to see some fur fly as a result."

Tony held up his hands as though balancing something. "Want to lay odds on the latter?"

"No." Vinnie grimaced. "Hell, no." His lips turned upward in a rueful smile. "Kind of glad we didn't bet on who would break first either. I'd have lost."

"S'okay. I would have too." Tony chuckled dryly. "Who'd you pick?"

"Thought it would be Gabriel. He sure looked ready to explode when Litiz got to the part about what Maria was getting." Vinnie sighed. "I was not expecting it to be the next generation that blew first."

Gibbs arched an eyebrow. He'd expected any outburst to come from the younger two men. Carmen and Andrew clearly didn't have the same level of experience when it came to controlling themselves as their elders. But then, Gibbs thought to himself, the rest of the family doesn't seem to know a lot about self-control either. Or if they did, they didn't see the need to practice it.

Vinnie sipped his drink. "I thought your cousins would be more like you, Tony."

Tony frowned, cocking his head to one side as he studied his friend. "Why?"

"I assumed that because you are roughly the same age, they'd act more like you than they would the rest." Vinnie shook his head, holding up a hand. "Stupid thing to assume, I know. Won't happen again."

Vinie's expression was sober as golden eyes met green. "If no one has mentioned it to you before, my friend, allow me to be the first. You are leaps and bounds ahead of your family in all the things that really matter."

Gibbs was delighted to hear Vinnie give Tony that matter of fact compliment. He'd thought the same thing himself but wasn't sure how to say it…or whether or not Tony would believe him if he did.

He watched the blush rise in Tony's cheeks in response to Vinnie's compliment. Tony ducked his head. "Thanks, man."

"You're welcome." Vinnie finished his drink, setting the glass on the coffee table with a sigh.

"Do you want more?"

"No." Vinnie waved off the offer. "I have to drive later."

"You still okay with dropping us at the airport?" Tony asked. "It is a bit out of your way."

Vinnie have a hand in a dismissive gesture. "I'll just add it to the bill."

Tony snorted delicately. "You're doing this pro bono, you schmuck."

Vinnie grinned. "I do have a charity or two that I could add to the list if you really feel the need balance the scale."

"Sure. Why not?" Tony shrugged. "Might as well share the wealth."

Gibbs wondered just how many charities were on the list now. Tony hadn't actually mentioned any to him directly. But then, Gibbs hadn't come right out and asked either.

"I could hold out for more than the two fifty if you like."

Tony's brow furrowed. "You think they'd pony up more?"

"Won't know until they offer." Vinnie shrugged. "If they offer that is."

"You said it was the sensible thing to do," Gibbs interjected quietly, not sure he would see anyone who'd been in that room doing the sensible thing, "what would be the stupid thing to do?"

"They could try to cut Tony out entirely."

"Why would that be stupid?" Tony frowned. "I don't even want anything."

"They may not believe you really meant what you said today. So they might try to force the issue."

Gibbs wouldn't be surprised if that was in fact the case. The two hundred and fifty thousand was nothing when there were millions on the table, but that likely wouldn't register with Tony's family. They'd probably fought over less, and were greedy enough to lose sight of the big picture.

"But I represent you now. All those people heard you say so yourself." Vinnie's smile was all teeth, wild and feral. "So when it comes down to just us legal types, arguing over fine points of law and not a boardroom masquerading as a circus, I will see to it that you get a piece of the pie." His eyes hardened. "I'm not going to let these people try to fuck you over, Tony. Certainly not without making them pay for it."

Tony sat forward, pulling free of Gibbs' loose embrace. "Vinnie, you don't have to—"

"No, I don't have to. I want to. Besides, I'm not being entirely altruistic." Vinnie's smiled warmly at Tony. "I've got my own reputation to protect after all. I couldn't let them just get away with something like that. It wouldn't look good for me."

Gibbs grinned. Oh yes, clearly, Vinnie was worried only about his reputation. It was good that Tony's friends didn't lie any better than he did.

"Like I'm going to believe that." Tony laughed softly. "Just promise me one thing."

"Name it."

It spoke volumes about their friendship that Vinnie didn't hesitate, nor did he ask what Tony wanted him to promise before agreeing to it.

"Don't do anything that will get you arrested or fired."

Vinnie snickered. "You'd bail me out."

Tony gave Vinnie a hard look. "Not the point, Vinnie."

"And Joe has room so I could stay with him."

Tony rolled his eyes. "Again, not the point."

"Love you too, Tony." Vinnie grinned.

Tony glared at him, but Gibbs could tell the look lacked any real heat. "Just promise."

Vinnie held up his right hand in the traditional boy scout salute. "I promise not to do anything that will get me arrested or fired."

"Thank you." Tony reached out with a fist and Vinnie bumped it lightly with his knuckles. The gesture obviously sealed the deal between them.

"Were you a boy scout?" Gibbs asked, wondering if the salute wasn't any more valid for Vinnie than it was for Tony.

"My younger brother and I both made it all the way to Eagle." Vinnie told him proudly. "And my little sister is a den mother now. It is just about the only thing we still have in common, truth be told."

A knock at the door announced the arrival of room service. Vinnie got up, waving at Tony and Gibbs to just stay seated. Gibbs kept a sharp eye on the door, just in case.

Vinnie pulled a wheeled cart into the room, politely telling the bell boy additional assistance was not needed. Gibbs saw him tip the kid, but couldn't tell how much Vinnie gave him. If the kid's smile was any indication, it was at least a twenty. Vinnie nudged the door shut with one foot before he brought the cart over to where Gibbs and Tony were still seated. He set the food out on the coffee table, offering both of them utensils wrapped in linen napkins before sitting down again.

Gibbs cut up his steak, pleased it was cooked just the way he liked it. The mashed potatoes were not as good as he could make for himself, but he wasn't going to complain. He took a sip from the cup of coffee that had been included with his meal, watching Tony. The younger man was spending more time moving things around on his plate than eating. Gibbs reached out to lay his hand on Tony's forearm halting the latest round of shuffling bits and pieces of his meal.

"Something wrong with your food?"

Tony gave him a startled glance before he shook his head. "It's fine."

"And you can tell that just by looking at it?" Gibbs arched an eyebrow. "Usually you have to taste it to make that call."

Tony took a few bites, clearly intended to appease Gibbs. Gibbs sighed. He thought their conversation would have helped settle Tony's nerves enough that eating wouldn't be hard for him to do. He thought Tony had started to relax. Obviously, he missed something.

Gibbs mentally reviewed everything said and done since they'd gotten back to the room. Tony's mood had steadily improved until Vinnie mentioned his brother and sister. Something about that reference had caused a subtle shift in his lover's expression and body language, one Gibbs had overlooked when they'd been interrupted by the arrival of lunch.

"Talk to me, Tony." Gibbs spoke softly, but made it clear he wasn't asking.

Tony sighed. "Kind of just hit me."

"What did?"

"I may be an older brother in a few months."

Gibbs shared a look with Vinnie. In the chaos of people arguing over who deserved to get what, they'd both forgotten why Sandra DuPre had been there. And what that might mean for Tony. Damn.

"It could be you'll just be getting another cousin." Vinnie said quietly.

Tony gave him a rueful smile. "Caught that, did you?"

Vinnie shrugged one shoulder. "Was hard to miss."

Gibbs grimaced. He'd seen the look Sandra had given Gabriel as well. There was definitely a history between them. One that likely wasn't too dissimilar than the one she'd shared with Tony's father.

Vinnie wiped his mouth with his napkin. "And given her past occupation….you really can't write off the idea the child might not be related at all."

"Past occupation?" Gibbs' eyes narrowed. He suspected what Vinnie was hinting at, but it was always better to be sure.

"Looked into her background the same way I did everyone else." Vinnie gave Tony an apologetic glance and got a forgiving look in return. It wasn't like Vinnie hadn't already mentioned having done research. Judging by his expression, Tony suspected the same thing Gibbs did.

"What did you find?" Tony asked, sounding resigned.

"She spent a few years working as an exotic dancer before going to work for a high end escort service. Last year she was busted twice for prostitution.

Tony raised a hand to rub at his temple. "Drugs?"

Gibbs thought that was a fair question. Drugs and prostitution didn't necessarily go hand and hand, but they were often found together. Some girls needed a little hit to be able to turn their first trick, and before they realized it they were hooking to make money for another hit.

Vinnie shook his head. "No mention of drugs in her records."

"Thank God for small favors," Tony whispered. It wasn't conclusive proof she wasn't a user but it certainly implied she might not be. If Sandra was clean, at least the child, DiNozzo or not, wouldn't be born with an addiction.

"Let's not borrow trouble just yet, Tony." Vinnie leaned forward, expression earnest as he made eye contact with Tony. "You can decide how you feel about becoming a brother for the first time at age thirty-six once you know for sure the child is actually your sibling."

Tony worried his lower lip, gaze shifting from Vinnie to Gibbs. "Boss?"

"Vinnie's right." Gibbs reached out to caress Tony's cheekbone with the knuckles of his hand. "There's no reason to worry about it until you know if you need to be."

"I just…I don't---" Tony closed his eyes and took a deep breath. "I don't want my little brother or sister to have a childhood like mine."

Gibbs winced. That was a sentiment he could understand. Hell, it was one he shared. No child should grow up like Tony had.

"If the child is your brother or sister, we'll make sure he or she is taken care of," Gibbs promised.

While Gibbs had every intention of following through on that promise he had no idea how to make it happen. He gave Vinnie a look, silently asking for his support and assistance. Vinnie tilted his head in agreement. Gibbs might not know how to fulfill that promise now, but with Vinnie's help, he was sure they could figure it out.

"I'll get in touch with some experts on child custody and welfare law." Vinnie said. "When we know for sure the child is your sibling, we'll be ready to do what it takes to make sure the kid gets a fair shake."

Tony nodded. "Thank you…both of you."

"You're welcome." Vinnie replied, smiling warmly. Gibbs echoed the sentiment.

He moved his hand to cup the back of Tony's neck and squeezed gently in silent support. "Anything else you need to talk about?"

Tony's lips curled upward in a small smile. "I think that covers it."

"Good." Gibbs lightly cuffed the back of his head. "Eat your lunch."

"I'm not really—"

"Eat it or I'll tell Ducky and Abby you were skipping meals." Gibbs was not above calling in reinforcements when necessary.

Tony stared at him. "That's not fair."

"I know." Gibbs pointed to Tony's plate. "Eat."

Tony muttered something about pushy bastards, but the set of his shoulders was relaxed again. He didn't eat with any real enthusiasm, but Tony ate without any difficulty or obvious reluctance. Gibbs mentally put a check mark in the win column.

As he finished is own meal, Gibbs considered the situation, reviewing options and possibilities. It pained him to admit it, but all that was left for them to do was wait. Until Sandra's child was born there was no way to say for sure if it was Tony's sibling, cousin or unrelated. And the rest of the family might want to wait on confirmation of that detail before they made an offer to Tony. Although, Gibbs couldn't see anyone involved in the company being willing to have control of the business put on hold for six months. He was damn glad they could let Vinnie handle negotiations with the family for the most part.

Gibbs was relieved they weren't spending another night. Distance from those people was definitely a must. He wanted to be firmly on his own turf if they were foolish enough to try and contact Tony. Or were stupid enough to threaten him in any way.

Getting back to the familiar surroundings and usual work routine would give them both something else to focus on. And it would go along way toward making Tony feel comfortable in his own skin again. Gibbs hated how tense and uneasy his lover had been since they'd gotten on the plane to come to Long Island.

Gibbs made a note to call Abby, McGee and Ducky when they got back. If anyone could help Tony stay on an even keel until everything with his family was completely settled it was those three. And they would need to be filled in just in case back up was needed.

"You okay, Jethro?" Vinnie asked.

Gibbs blinked. "Yeah, why?"

"You got awfully quiet."

"Just thinking."

Tony grinned. "Planning world domination again, are you?"

Gibbs grinned back. "Just my little corner of it."

"Business as usual then, Boss?"

Gibbs nodded, giving Tony a wink. Looking out for his own was definitely business as usual.