- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Gibbs realizes what has really happened.
Abby folded the last of the black and dark blue receiving blankets that Ziva had given her during her baby shower. She placed the blanket on the maple dressing table Gibbs had built for their baby that also matched the bassinet, baby bed, and chest of drawers he had recently finished. She took a step back and smiled, one hand on her aching back and the other rubbing her very pregnant tummy.

She took a step back and looked around the fully finished nursery. She and Gibbs had taken their time figuring out exactly what they wanted this nursery to be like. She had studied the Feng Shui of the room before they had decorated the room and brought it to its current beauty. She was confident their baby would flourish in this room.

She moved to the corner of the room and sat down in the rocking chair Ducky had given them. She rocked gently as she rubbed her tummy. The baby had been kicking quite a lot lately. So much in fact, Abby had taken to sleeping in this very rocking chair. The baby preferred to rest in this chair than in any bed in the house.

She closed her eyes and rocked gently. She'd never imagined that she'd be so happy to be on the brink of motherhood. When she first found out she was pregnant, she was actually a little scared that she wouldn't be a good mother. Of course, she was fairly certain Gibbs had sensed that particular fear because he had begun instilling in her what a great mother she would be. Now, she was confident that she would be.

Gibbs stood in the doorway watching as Abby rocked in the rocking chair. He knew that her body was torturing her, but he knew her soul was content. It was the look in her eyes, the twinkle in her smile, and the gentle bounce in her step.

He also knew that she finally felt at home in this house. She had always said she was comfortable here, but it was only in the last few weeks that she acted as if she truly belonged here. To Gibbs, it felt as if the house had been empty without her in it. Now, it felt as if it were a true home not just a place for him to build his boats.

Gibbs felt a smile tugging at his heart as well as the corners of his mouth. He finally had the one thing he'd been sorely lacking for so long. He finally had hope for the future, that the days would be worth living for and that he wouldn't grow to be just another grumpy old man.

He walked across to Abby and kissed her forehead, "I love you, Abs."

Abby looked up to him and smiled, the simple beauty of the moment permeating the room, "I love you too, Gibbs."