- Text Size +
Story Notes:
Please let me know what you think (this is my first fanfic ever!) I've tried to get a fair bit of Tate/McGabby in as they are passions of mine!
Author's Chapter Notes:
Tony remembers the day he killed Ari
Caitlin Todd laid on her back in bed thinking about the dream she'd just had. It had involved her and her fellow colleague and a very compromising situation. She'd been having a lot of dreams that included DiNozzo lately and she was finding it harder and harder to be around him each day without blurting out her feelings for him and what's more, she had began to dread work each day. This was annoying because she loved the job she did and the results that it produced and hated that this was being changed by one simple man. Not only that, but by a womanising jerk who was inconsiderate, lazy, smarmy, had an ego the size of the sun, but he was also caring, funny, protective and he was hot goddamnit! She kept catching herself staring at him when he wasn't looking and getting lost in his eyes. He had good eyes she had to give him that, she loved just looking deep into them, thinking about what it would be like if he felt the same for her as she did for him. She had to keep reminding herself that that was unlikely and that upset her. She was so angry at how had she let herself fall this hard for a guy. She was stronger than this. Kate pulled herself out of bed and went to the bathroom. She looked at herself in the mirror, God she looked awful. She always looked awful in the morning. ‘If Tony could see her now' she chuckled to herself and splashed cold water over her face fully awakening her. With this newfound energy she went to the bedroom and pulled on a black knee length skirt and a dark blue t-shirt. She laced her lashes with the tiniest trace of black mascara and her lips with the faintest bit of cherry lip-gloss. The lip-gloss made her feel a bit like a little girl but hey she liked the taste and the colour and if anyone made a comment they'd feel the force of her hand. With one last look in the mirror, Kate smiled, picked up her gun and her badge, put them in her bag and left her apartment.

***

Tony DiNozzo was often the first to arrive at NCIS and today was no exception. It was 6.00am as Tony made his way up the steps towards the entrance of the NCIS building where Bill the night guard always stood. Tony showed him his I.D. and Bill let him into the building.

"You should really get some help with your sleeping patterns you know" Bill said.

"With all the woman that want a piece of DiNozzo how can I" Tony laughed. Bill smiled and tipped his cap to Tony as he went through the glass doors.
As Tony exited the elevator at the usual floor he walked out onto the deserted desert that was the NCIS building at 6.00am in the morning. He walked over to his desk, pulled out his gun and put it on the desk as he sat down. As he stared at the gun he remembered when he had used it shoot Ari through the head. God that had felt good.

*Flashback*

It was a dark night as there was hardly any moon. A darkness surrounded Gibbs house as well as the dark shapes of several men. Tony was one of them and he was adrenaline shot, knowing that Ari was in there with his boss. They had to work quickly.

"McGee you take back, I'll go in front."

McGee signalled to two swat members beside him and they followed him round to the back door. Tony and the two swat members that were left proceeded to the front door.

"On my count McGee" said Tony through the earpiece. "One, two, three…FREEZE NCIS!" They clattered through the door guns drawn as they swept the first few rooms.

"The back of the house is clear Tony" came McGee's voice through the earpiece.

"So is the front McGee" Both Tony and McGee came at the same time to the door that lead down to Gibbs sanctuary; his workshop and his boat. Tony put his hand on the doorknob. "If anything happens to me, you come straight in OK probie" McGee nodded silently. Tony twisted the knob and entered the room gun drawn. He was confronted with Ari standing behind Gibbs, holding a gun to Tony's boss's head.

"Move an inch, and good old Gibbs here gets a bullet through his brain" said Ari calmly

"OK Ari, what do you want to do next?" said Tony

"Caitlin was just the beginning, a teaser if you will. The main object of my anger was Gibbs here. Killing Caitlin was a shame, she was a beautiful woman but it had to be done. It was the only way that I could hurt Gibbs."

"So what do you want to do know?" repeated Tony

"I want you to come down the steps slowly, put your weapon on the floor and your hands in the air. Then Gibbs is going to see another one of his Colleagues die."

"OK" said Tony simply and started to walk down the stairs. "Why Kate though? Why not me or McGee?"

"Caitlin meant a great deal to Gibbs. I saw that when I was at NCIS the first time I was there. Her death would have had the most impact so she had to die first." By now Tony had made it halfway down the steps.

"You were right to have used the words ‘would have' Ari," said Tony.

"What do you mean by that agent DiNozzo?" said Ari, now with a trace of puzzlement in his before calm voice.

"It would have had the most impact for Kate to die first," replied Tony.

"What are you talking about?" said Ari now beginning to lose his calm tone. This new tone was unbecoming of Ari and didn't suit him at all. He was usually so in control but this information was new to Ari so Tony knew he had to be careful.

"You missed," said Tony plainly.

"What?" said Ari

"You missed. When you shot across those roof tops you missed Kate," said Tony

"That is not possible. This is a trick" said Ari. "I saw her fall. I saw the blood drip from for forehead and her lifeless body fall." Ari seemed to be enjoying recounting this story and he began to smile. This angered Tony further but he had to remain calm for everyone involved. He had to do this right.

"You used Gibbs sniper and his scope."

"Yes and I hit Caitlin straight between the eyes"

"No, you didn't. We faked it; the scope was off."

"Not possible, I would have noticed"

"Well it was and you didn't, so maybe you not as good as you think you are" Tony had now reached the bottom of the stairs and had stopped moving. Ari was now noticeably agitated and had become restless, swaying a little from behind Gibbs.

"You're lying to me, tricking me, trying to get me to let Gibbs go."

"Its true" said Gibbs from within Ari's grasp. "The blood you saw was fake, prosthetics can go along way now you know"

"SHUT UP!" said Ari pushing the gun harder into Gibbs temple.

"You want proof?" said Tony. At that moment a figure appeared at the top of the stairs. It was Kate. Ari just stared in astonishment and horror.

"Pleased to see me Ari?" said Kate "a fake blood packet was taped and covered up on my forehead, and rigged to explode when you pulled the trigger. So you pulled the trigger and I fell to the ground covered in blood. Simple yet so realistic."

"This can't be happening" said Ari "I killed you" Ari was really jumpy now, swaying and fidgeting badly behind Gibbs. ‘Almost' thought Tony.

"How does it feel to see a ghost Ari?" said Kate

"YOU'RE DEAD!" shouted Ari and moved out from behind Gibbs. BANG!

A single red circle marked Ari's forehead, right between the eyes. His body slumped and his eyes glazed over. He slid to the floor and Gibbs bent down and put two fingers to his neck.

"Nice shot DiNozzo" said Gibbs "he's dead"

*End flashback*
Tony still remembered the slap on the back of the head Gibbs had given him that night after it had all happened saying:

"Two more inches to the left DiNozzo and your life would not have been worth living"

Tony didn't think anything would ever make Gibbs say thank you. Not if his life depended on it. Tony laughed to himself and at that moment Kate walked in.

"What's so funny DiNozzo?"

"Nothing. Why are you in so early?"

"Couldn't sleep, you?"

"Same" replied Tony. Kate walked round the front of her desk and Tony caught the scent of her perfume. He loved that smell, so typically Kate. Beautiful and elegant yet it had a kick to it that said ‘Don't mess with me'. Tony noticed the skirt that Kate was wearing. Knee length, so it showed just enough leg to show the slimness of her legs but left enough so that Tony was left fantasizing about what was further up. "I was just thinking about the night I shot Ari"

"That was 6 months ago Tony. Let it drop. The shot wasn't that good, you were only 10 foot away"

"But still" said Tony. "One of my finest moments" he grinned.

"Whatever" said Kate and started emptying things from her bag onto the table. Tony watched her thinking what it would have been like if they hadn't have known of Ari's plan before the rooftop scene and his shot had been real. He didn't think he would of coped if it had. That night had made him realise how much Kate meant to him. Looking down at her body after she fell, even though he knew it was fake, shocked him to the core. It had looked so realistic and he had had to tell himself that it wasn't real. The funeral was the worst bit. Looking at that coffin with her name on it had been hard on him. That was the day that he swore he would take revenge on that son of a bitch and he had meant it; right up until the second that bullet had left the barrel of the Tony's gun and burrowed cleanly into the front of Ari's skull.
At that moment Tony was roused from reminiscing about the past as Kate brought out her sketchbook and laid it on the table.

"Please, please, please let me have a look" said Tony

"No!" said Kate "how many times do I have to tell you that Tony. Its private."

"Pretty please" said Tony with what he supposed was a sweet grin on his face.

"That is sickening Tony. I think I now need to go throw up"

"Sickness early in the morning, you know what that means Kate" Tony smirked

"Oh grow up Tony," said Kate. Tony's gleeful look was broken only by a sharp slap across the back of the head.

"Boss" said Tony jumping to his feet.

"C'mon we've got a case"

***
Chapter End Notes:
I thought that this could offer an alternative the the ending of Twilight
DISCLAIMER: I am not connected to NCIS in anyway an do not own any parts of it. I do not make any profit in the writing of my fanfictions