- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
The case has come to a close and Carrie says her goodbyes
Carrie knocked on the Interview observatory room and entered as she heard someone answer inside. Director Shepard had been the one that had called her in and apart from a tech guy taping the conversation; her and McGee were the ones in the room. McGee was standing near the two-way mirror watching the interrogation. He turned at the arrival of a new person and smiled when he saw it was Carrie.

"Carrie!" he said walking over to give her a hug "Gibbs is doing the interview now. She's admitting everything"

"Why did she do it?" replied Carrie

"She'd found out that her husband had a secret identity because someone had called him that in the street. Turns out he was in contact with almost every hooker in Washington. He thought that she was too controlling" McGee laughed "She put locks on the cupboard with the crisps in because she thought that he needed to watch his weight. She also had him calling her 40 times a day, to tell her where he was. He couldn't lie because she'd put a tracker on his phone that told her exactly where he was!"

"So she's mad then?" said Carrie

"Well the lawyer is trying to pull out the mentally unfit card and I think he's got a point," replied Director Shepard

"She put rat poison in the child's food and watched him eat it" said McGee "She thought it was best that he didn't know that his father had left him. It would have hurt him too much"

"Hmm" said Carrie "Definitely mad"

"She doesn't regret anything she's done," said McGee "that's the scariest part. She thinks she's done the right thing" Carrie shuddered

"How the hell did she pull it off? They couldn't have met up or anything because he would have recognised her straight away"

"Well she was quite clever actually. She used the Internet to search for the fake name that Officer Carter was called in the street and managed to come across a couple of online chat rooms. You know the kind, where you watch the girl in the web cam and talk dirty to her. Anyway, it must have taken a while because these websites weren't the ones you'd come across by accident. It wouldn't taken months to run across his name on one of those. She registered and contacted him by email and phone only. The night he was murdered was their first meeting. He'd already told her everything thinking she was this Mandi King. She'd gone there, just planning to confront him, but he had said that he wanted a divorce. She got real angry grabbed the potpourri bowl of the dresser and well, you know the rest"

"Wow, she was seriously obsessed. Like in a deranged unhinged sort of way" Carrie shuddered "On that note, its time for me to say my goodbyes" said Carrie

"What?" said McGee "Your leaving already?"

"I have too, the case is over. I have got another job you know. One I've been neglected recently"

"Well I've enjoyed meeting up with you again" said McGee

"So have I" said Carrie as she embraced McGee "I promise to email this time though," she laughed

"Me too" said McGee and they both laughed.

"Goodbye Director" said Carrie "You have an amazing team here"

"I know" beamed Director Shepard and Carrie turned towards the door

"See you all around" she said as she left the room.

"Bye" replied the Director and McGee simultaneously. Carrie shut the door behind her to find that Gibbs had exited the Interrogation room at the same time.

"Gibbs," said Carrie rather formally and extending her hand towards him "It's been a pleasure working with you and your team"

"Well I hope that pleasure will continue" said Gibbs as he reached out and shook her hand firmly.

"What?" said Carrie ‘Is he coming on to me or something' she thought panicking

"Come and work for us," replied Gibbs. Inward sigh from Carrie ‘Few! Dodged some awkwardness there but what the hell is he talking about?'

"What?!" repeated Carrie, God she must have looked stupid "But…"

"I've talked to Director Shepard and we both think that you would be an invaluable asset to our team"

"Really?" said Carrie her face brightening "Can I think about it?"

"Absolutely" replied Gibbs "Take a few days to let it sink in and then report back to me"

"Ok" smiled Carrie "I will!" Gibbs smiled back and the two walked down the corridor together.

***