- Text Size +
----------

Jen Sheppard sat at the head of the conference table looking at the group assembled. Addressing Colonel O'Neill she started off the meeting by saying, "I must say Colonel that it isn't everyday that the President himself calls me asking me to cooperate fully with outsiders on one of our investigations."

Jack flashed a quick smile, "No, I wouldn't imagine that you do, Director Sheppard. Our project classification is the highest and the administration is very supportive. Unfortunately there isn't a lot of information that we are at liberty to share but what I can tell you is that our work involves protecting not only the United States but the rest of the world as well. And we take that job very seriously."

Gibbs was sitting back in his chair with his legs crossed, just observing. He had the nagging feeling that he had met O'Neill before. The other man with the Colonel, Dr. Jackson, was an enigma. He noticed Tony eyeing Jackson oddly and made a mental note to ask him why after the meeting. Ziva on the other hand couldn't keep her eyes off of Jackson, and it was mutual. This meeting was making his gut churn and they hadn't even discussed the case yet.

Tony's natural curiosity won out and he asked Jack, "Colonel, why is the Air Force concerned about three dead Marines?"

Daniel answered, "Actually we were called in because of documentation they were carrying. Your lab's search of the code symbol database alerted us."

Ziva asked, "So it is a code then."

Daniel glanced at Jack then answered Ziva's question, "Um, not exactly. To the average person it would appear so, but it is in fact a language."

Jack piped back up, "We need to know where these Marines got it, and how long they've had it. And ASAP isn't even close to how fast we need to know."

Daniel had been able to translate the document on the flight to Washington and it detailed a planned attack on Earth by a Gou'ald team that managed to be inserted under everyone's watchful eye. According to the document they had a naquadria bomb and were planning an attack that would destroy most of the North American continent. The final set of symbols on the page signified the Stargate address of a planet the Gou'ald team and their supporters were supposed to evacuate to immediately prior to the attack.

Daniel looked to the Director, "The translation of the writing indicates that these men were involved in a planned terrorist attack. There weren't a lot of details like how or when but it was clear that it is a bomb and would be big." Daniel couched his words carefully.

Gibbs did not wait to adjourn the meeting or be dismissed, "Tony, you and Ziva take their apartments, get McGee to run their histories. I want to know everything about these guys from birth till now."

Jack thought it was odd that Gibbs hadn't said a word the entire meeting but now swung into action. He plastered a sarcastic grin on his face and asked Gibbs, "Do you think we could maybe do from now till birth instead? I really only need the last few months, Gunny."

Tony took a deep breath and waited for the explosion. It never came.

"I should have left you on that sand dune, O'Neill" was Gibbs flat reply. He had finally figured out where he knew him from. He had been on the extraction team that rescued O'Neill from the desert when his plane had gone down in Iran.

"I didn't think you remembered me, Gibbs. I'm touched."

"Can say that again." Daniel whispered under his breath, unfortunately everyone heard and looked at him. "Um. Maybe I should go with Officer David and Agent DiNozzo. If there is anything to be found I can translate on the spot."

"Good idea Daniel."

Tony inwardly groaned, not looking forward to being forced to endure more of the moony eyes from Ziva.

---------------

As they walked out of the Director's office Gibbs halted Tony, "Conference room, DiNozzo."

Everyone else took the stairs down to the bullpen but Gibbs and Tony headed for the elevator. Hitting the emergency stop Gibbs turned to Tony, "You got a problem with Dr. Jackson?"

Tony gave him a questioning look, "Um, no, Boss. Why?"

"I guess I'm just trying to figure out why you were giving him weird looks the whole meeting."

"It's nothing. Seems like a smart guy. It's just…"

"What, DiNozzo? Just the fact that he and Ziva can't keep their eyes off each other maybe?"

Tony didn't say a word. He knew he would only dig himself in deeper. Gibbs was a stickler for Rule Twelve.

"Focus on the case, DiNozzo. We've got a bomb out there somewhere." He hit the button starting the elevator again.

"Got it, Boss."

"And Tony?"

"Yeah?"

He looked at Tony sideways with a little grin, "The faster we close this case the faster Dr. Jackson goes home."

---------------
TBC….feedback appreciated!!