- Text Size +
Washington D.C.
19:05 o'clock


"Do you even know how to drive a car without automatic?" I asked Gibbs, who was sitting behind the steering wheel of the red sports car, which Director Shepard had procured. My hope to drive that car hadn't accomplished, because Jethro had taken the keys from Jens hand so fast that I hadn't had the opportunity to take them.
"Get in, DiNozzo", growled Gibbs and I settled down on the passenger seat unwillingly. "Are you aware of the fact that you now have one more pedal and that the coupling…" Before I could end the sentence, he leaned over and head slapped me as quick as a flash.
"Do you want to drive?" he wanted to know and inserted the key into the ignition during I rubbed the pounding spot on my head. "Sure." "Maybe in your next life", he said with a little smile, started the motor and let it howl. The loud noise must be heard in the whole underground parking lot.
"Buckle up!" Gibbs ordered and stepped on the accelerator so that the car hurtled towards the gateway. "This is not your staff car", I said somewhat afraid and tried to grip the belt while I was pressed ruggedly into the leather seat. "It has more then 200 HP under the hood, so it would be appropriate to slow down." "Do you want to walk?" "No." „Then shut up." He threw a short look to his right and left side, before he pulled onto the road with screeching tires.

To slow down my fast going heart, I glanced at the mirror at my side and eyed my new body jewelry. Abby had been right when she had said she was a pro. She had ended her work within a few seconds and it hadn't ached in that way I had assumed it would. Now, hours later, my ear was reddened only a little bit and it wasn't so hot any more. I had to admit that the earring fitted me and had the feeling that it gave me a more casual appearance – doubtless a advantage of my new role, just as the black leather jacket which I hadn't worn for years. But I hadn't had the heart to chuck it away. My outfit was completed by a black tight-fitting jeans and a white shirt. If Melinda could see me now she would rip off my clothes.
About one hour ago I had called her again to inform her that we couldn't see each other in the next days because we would have a case in another country – she had been hopping mad about this. I had said this lie very easily and I was glad that I needn't see her in the next few days. Certainly, I wouldn't miss her voice.

I torn apart my gaze from the mirror and looked at Gibbs who was focused on the street and the evening traffic. His countenance was unreadable and I couldn't recognize what he was thinking. If he got ready for his role? The first step had been done by his clothes. I have never seen him wearing a Jeans and a loose-fitting black shirt before. Usually he wore a jacket but I found he look great in his current outfit. He didn't look so grimly and he appeared manlier.
At the thought of this I winced lightly and a lump formed in my throat. "Everything's all right?" asked Gibbs and our gazes met for a short moment. „Sure. Why not?" I answered and turned away to look out of the side window again. "You seem to be a little bit nervous." "I and nervous? No way." But Jethro was right. My nerves began already to jitter when I thought about the fact that Anthony DiNozzo would disappear in a few minutes and Nathan Edison would come to the surface instead.
Gibbs stopped the car shortly after because of a red traffic light and turned around so that he could face me. "We are at the Four Seasons in a short while." "Great." When I looked into his blue eyes, my heart began to beat faster. "Listen. We will wangle this. It won't be easy but it's manageable by all means. Okay?" I further looked at him and as I didn't answer fast enough he slapped me on the back of my head. "Okay?" I nodded. „Okay. The traffic light is green", I added a moment later. He curled his lips as he engaged the gear and drove on so fast that I was pressed into the seat again.
"I would prefer it, when we reach our aim alive", I said after a few seconds as he had overtook another car risky. "I am not keen on ending like the gunrunners." "Do you see a tree somewhere?" "No, but plentiful cars." Gibbs grinned broader but before we could get in conflict about his driving style, the facade of the Four Seasons appeared. Since the sun was almost vanished behind the horizon, the facade of the multi-level building was illuminated.

To be not so swanky, Jethro slowed down and stopped the car smoothly in front of the stairs that ushered into the building. I breathed deeply and unstrapped. "C'mon", I mumbled and watched the overzealous employee, who hurried to us and opened the door for me.
"Good evening, Sir", he said politely and bowed a little. I got out and sucked in the welcome cool night air. The young man hurried to the other side and opened the door for Gibbs. "Our baggage is in the trunk", he said, whereon the flunky man waved at a colleague who attended to it. I found the whole ado funny and I had to refrain from grinning.
"I am going to drive your car to the parking lot", he said, as the other man had unloaded our traveling bags. "When you need the car you can pick up the key at the reception." "And don't make any scratches", I meant and curled my lips to a lopsided smile. "My friend loves this car, so be exceptionally gentle." I said the first two words surprisingly easily. "I understand, Sir." I rummaged in my trouser pocket and took out a 20 dollar bill which I gave the young man - he let it disappear immediately.
"I have told you yet that you shouldn't spend money like water, Nate." Gibbs came to my side, laid his arm around my waist and led me to the entrance door which was opened by another employee. I was more than aware of Jethros bodily closeness and I had troubles not to break the contact. ‘Imagine that he is a woman", I reassured myself in thoughts and managed not to put on an afflicted mien.

We crossed the hall, which was swarmed with men who carried the baggage and with guests of the hotel, and reached the reception shortly after. "Good evening." We were welcomed by a woman with a bright smile and who were in her 30s. The black costume of the employees fitted her like a glove and I had to brace myself that I didn't wink at her or to pay her a compliment – this wouldn't be helpful for my role as a homosexual.
Gibbs released me and assumed the talk. "Rafe Cooper and Nathan Edison. We have reserved a suite." "One moment please", she said and eyeballed me before she turned towards her computer. "Pull yourself together", Jethro whispered so quietly in my ear so that I was the only one who could hear him. "I won't do anything inconsiderate", I returned just as quietly. He looked at me suspiciously for one second, but then decided to trust me.
"There we are." The woman with the name Olivia – according to her nameplate - turned to us. "Are you sure that you want the suite with only one bedroom?" "Absolutely", I said boldly." "Rafe and I, we haven't slept in separate beds for many years. When you understand what I mean." She blushed and a disappointed look slid across her face for a short moment. But she was a pro and within few seconds she recollected herself.
"Excuse the briskness of my friend", Gibbs said with a soft voice and threw a very assured affectionate look at me, which caused a shiver in me that run down my back. Since I knew him, he hadn't looked at me in such a way and I had troubles not to take a step back. He played his role perfectly, something that I couldn't assure.
"No problem", returned Olivia and broke out the key. "You have a Capital Suite in the west wing, 5th floor. Paul will carry your baggage upstairs. If you have any questions, you can address them to me. I wish you an enjoyable stay." "Thank you", Gibbs said and gave me the key. Shortly after, I felt how his right hand clasped around my left. His fingers were surprisingly warm and the grip gentle, so that I could free myself smoothly from the grasp, but I tightened the grip and managed to smile at him affectionately.

"I wish you a nice evening", I said to Olivia and let me guided unresistantly to the elevators. I could feel the gazes from the other peoples who we passed. It's obviously that they didn't see two men who are in love with each other every day. At this thought, I felt silly and all of a sudden I didn't know anymore, why I held Gibbs' hand so firmly. He seemed to notice that I became embarrassed and he squeezed encouragingly. We would be in our room in a few minutes and then I could drop the mask, which I could barely await. I asked myself how I should survive the next days, when I had such problems by now to act in such a way, as if I was gay.
The doors of the elevator opened and we entered the cabin with the man, who carried our baggage. I became aware of the closeness of Gibbs again and I had the feeling to get agoraphobia. Our fingers were still entwined and I hoped, while the elevator brought us to the 5th floor, that holding hands were the only thing, what we had to do in the next days.

Relieved that I could finally release Gibbs' hand, I unbarred the door on which the number 513 stood in golden ciphers and entered the exceeding luxury equipped living space. "Wow." The word escaped quietly from my mouth and I eyed the seating-accommodations, which invited one almost to rest. The floor was covered with a thick carpet which damped our steps. The whole furnishing was color-coordinated and the lamps spent a soft light.
"Do you like it?" Gibbs asked and smiled because of my zealous facial expression. "It's fantastic. I have known why I left the choice of the hotel to you." My joy was not even played. I forgot the undercover mission for a short moment and let affected the expensive ambient to me. It wouldn't be a problem to bear the next few days in this room and at that I needn't pay for this luxury. I gloated by now of the appalled mien of director Shepard when she received the check.

"Leave the bags by the door, we will deal with them later by ourselves", Jethro said to the young man and brought me therefore back to reality. He gazed at us puzzled and a little bit embarrassed, but did what Jethro had ordered. I rummaged in my pocket trouser again, angled another 20 dollar bill and gave it to him. "Thank you, Sir", he said, threw a hesitantly gaze at us and left within a few seconds the suite. When the door was closed, I breathed a sigh of relieve. The first barrier was managed.
"I must say, the guys have an incredibly good taste", I said and opened a huge cupboard. "That's funky!" Directly in front of my nose was a flat screen TV with a diagonal of 81 centimeters. I saw me already, sitting on the comfortable couch, guzzling chips and watching an episode of Magnum on this really amazing device.
With a wide smile, I let my eyes move around and determined that there were a DVD player and a stereo too. "If I had known this, I would have taken along a few DVDs." "We are not here to watch any films", Gibbs replied and gazed at me angrily. The affectionate expression in his eyes has vanished and the sparkle, which I knew only too well and that I liked definitely better, has returned.

"Come on, let me have some fun." He already opened his mouth, but was interrupted by a knock. I could imagine who it was and my grin became wider. I was looking forward for this moment since I had found out, which role I had at this theater. "I'm on my way", I said and was by the door with few steps and opened it. In front of me stood Ziva, appareled with a black dress and the sweet white skirt of the chambermaids. Her hairs were bound together to a ponytail and I could recognize a killing look in her eyes, which let me know that, when I should say a wrong word, I wouldn't live any longer. She stepped into the room and I had a great look at her well-formed calves.
I closed the door slowly and settled down at one of the soft chairs, as far away from Gibbs as possible. "I've searched every corner of this suite", she said. "No bugs or any wires. Just in case, I've brought my special glasses with me and have scanned the windows of the opposite buildings, but nobody keeps tabs on you." "That's good to hear", Gibbs replied and he appeared really relieved. So we didn't have to continue our game, but could speak normally with each other – if this was possible between us at all.
Ziva plugged her hands in the white skirt and fetched two cell phones. "Abby has given them to me. They are bug-proof. And I have bugged the room telephone so that we'll notice when you get a call from the clients. If they haven't already contacted the gunrunners." "I don't think so", Gibbs said and took one of the two small devices. "Otherwise they wouldn't have reserved a suite for several days. They would be miles away already." "However, I'm going now, that is to say if you needn't anything else." I bent forward and grinned at her. "Well, how about fresh towels? I always need more than one and I have seen that the screen of the television is somewhat dusty."
Ziva sparkled angrily at me. "Go on in just this way and I'll smuggle my weapon in." "Why are you so upset? You are still the chambermaid." She made a step in my direction, but Gibbs, who rose, held her up. "We'll see us tomorrow", he said. "But…" My words stuck in my throat when I felt the dangerous blue sparkle on me. By now, I would rather prefer the affectionate gaze.
My co-worker made a grimace and went to the door. "I wish you a pleasant sleep – in the same bed", she added after a second and grinned mischievously. "By the way, nice outfit!" I called after her, what brought her to slam the door with a loud bang.

With a better mood than before our arrival, I stood up and bent down to lift up my traveling bag. In the same moment, Gibbs slapped me on the back of my head. "Ouch! What was that for?" „Because you are acting as if you are in the kindergarten." He took his things and opened the glazed double door that led into the bedroom. Mumbling, I followed him and asked myself, if I hadn't slipped up to accept the mission. I had no idea how I should bear more than a few hours with this growler.
Jethro switched on the light and the lamps were illuminating the bedroom. The first thing I caught a glimpse of was the big double bed, on which a coverlet was outspread and which looked more than comfortable. The floor was covered with the same thick carpet like the living room and there were two more doors. Inquiring, I opened the first one and switched on the light immediately. "Funky!" I said enthusiastically as I recognized the walk-in closet. "I could have brought a good deal more clothes with me." Broadly grinning, I turned to Gibbs, who just settled down on the left side of the bed and began to take off his shoes.
"Boss? Would it bother you when you took the right side? I always sleep left hand." He raised his head, looked over me and continued unknotting the shoelaces. "And this means what?" "This means", he began slowly, "that you have to learn to sleep on the right side." The grin disappeared from my face and I looked at his back angrily. "That's not fair!" I replied louder than it was appropriated.
Gibbs eventually got rid of his shoes, stood up and came up to me. "No?" "No." He squinted his eyes and pushed his face, except for a few centimeters, to mine. "Well, you have to accept it." "But, you have persuaded me to take part in this mission, so it would be appropriate, if…" "So far as I remember, I am the older one and still your superior, so I decide who sleeps on which side." His voice adjusted to my volume. "And when you aren't comfortable with this, you can spend the night on the sofa." I swallowed and had to pull myself together not to retreat a step back to bring more room between us.

"That would give the impression as if we had argued with each other", I ventured a renewed attempt to convince him. "That happens in the best marriages." "With what you have certainly no experience." At these words, a rain of sparks was spraying out of his eyes. "I take the right side", I decided, only to escape this gaze. I turned over rapidly and so I didn't see his satisfied grin.
"I'll take a shower", I said and rummaged in my bag to fetch up the things that I would need. Gibbs was sitting on the left side of the bed and flipped open the new cell phone. "Uh huh", he made simply and looked frowningly at the display. Apparently, he didn't come to grips with it. Shaking my head I entered the luxurious bath, but turned around once again. "Boss?" He gazed at me. „Yeah?" "How did you manage it to look at me in that way when we were at the reception?" He raised an eyebrow and answered: "I imagined that you were redheaded." "Very funny." I closed the door and looked at me in the big mirror. I asked myself involuntarily, if he had said the truth. But why should I doubt his words? From himself he wouldn't manage to look at me so affectionate. Would he?

Gibbs was sitting on the big double bed with the extremely comfortable mattress and was looking frowningly at his new cell phone. After his fancy it had too many buttons and he didn't want to think of the entire useless functions at all. He pushed frustrated one bottom and landed expeditiously in the message menu where was listed what he was able to do now. But, how the hell should he find the phone book? Why had nobody given him an instruction? Which he could now use urgently. He hadn't liked the modern techniques never before. Jethro could be glad that he knew what a PDA was, even which handling, however, was a little cryptically to him.
Lightly annoyed he closed the small device again and laid it onto the nightstand. Certainly, Tony could explain to him how he could find the telephone numbers. The thought of his agent let him pause for a moment and his question crossed his mind again. He didn't know why he had lied, because he hadn't imagined rudimentarily DiNozzo as a redhead – this color wouldn't fit him at all, what couldn't affirm from his present outfit. The black jeans fitted like a glove just as his leather jacket and the earring which gave him a light keen appearance. Gibbs wasn't accustomed to see Tony, who wore smart suits a good many times, in such a way. On the way to the hotel he had attracted attention already that he appeared manlier, what had fairly unsettled him.
And then these green eyes which had reminded him at this evening of deep mountain lakes for the first time. Maybe this was the reason, why he had laid an arm around the waist of his colleague so naturally. His bodily closeness was more then aware to him and he had felt the muscles through the leather jacket. It had almost felt as if this body was made for his hands. This realization had shocked him exceedingly and he had had trouble not to withdraw his arm. Inwardly, he had cursed Jen additionally, who had persuaded him to this mission and the thought of the hotel bill, which he would present her, had helped him not to blurt out a loud scream.

And then the situation, which had been brought up by Tony a little while ago, had come. Gibbs really hadn't had an answer to the question, because he didn't even know it himself, why he had managed such a gaze. It simply happened – completely automatic. The red hair color had only been a white lie, because he couldn't meanly say to DiNozzo: ‘The look wasn't played.'
From the bathroom a quiet rush of water reached his ears and broke his thoughts. Jethro determined ashamedly that his hands were trembling lightly, those fingers which had enclosed Tony's not even 30 minutes ago. This decision had risen spontaneously in him and he had wanted to see how his colleague reacted. That he had responded the grip automatically had surprised him exceedingly. And now, a half hour later, Gibbs could swear that he could still feel DiNozzos warm hand.
‘That's crazy', he thought furiously and stood up from the comfortable mattress. The fact that he had act in such a way, as if he was homosexual had disequilibrated him completely. Never ever, there existed the least chance that something would develop between Tony and him. That would be as if the vanished island Atlantis would appear suddenly – thus absolutely impossible.

Sighing, he bent down, took his traveling bag and entered the walk-in closet. Funky was really the right expression for this room. A smiled curled around his lips as he imagined the face of his colleague, who had grinned like a Cheshire cat.
He stored his things rapidly and went back into the bed room, where he almost collided with Tony who just now came out of the bath. Solely, a white towel covered his nakedness. His hair was still quite wet and several water drops blazed a trail across his upper part of his body and were soaked up from the towel.
A prickle rose in Gibbs what was inexplicable to him and that unsettled him and made him angry. In front of him stood DiNozzo – his subordinate and the man who drove him crazy with his silly patterns. Why then he reacted as though he had a naked woman in front of him?
"Everything's all right, Boss?" he was taken out of his thoughts. Their gazes met and again, the green eyes reminded him of deep mountain lakes. "Sure, everything's okay", he answered and laid a gruffy tone in his voice. "So, if you want to take a shower, the bath is clear now." Yep, a shower was exactly what he needed right now – preferably ice cold, to bring him back, at last, to reality. Without a further word he walked past Tony, entered the bath room and closed the door. How should he just survive the next days?

To be continued...