- Text Size +
Tony sat at his desk and sighed heavily. He was going through the list Ziva, Gilliam and McGee had drawn out for him but yet there wasn't anybody standing out. He just reached for his phone to ask Jethro if he knew if Jen was seeing someone when there was a cup put in front of him. He looked up to see his husband standing in front of his desk.

„Decaf."

Jethro clarified but that wasn't the answer to the question that was forming in Tony's mind.

„You didn't come to work the case, did you? You retired, remember?"

„Actually, I'm on personal leave, as I was informed. Could I have a word with you?"

Tony frowned but followed Jethro into the breakroom. However the older man didn't seem to say something soon.

„Jethro, I really don't have the time for this. What did Lish do this time?"

Jethro grinned shortly despite the situation but then looked serious.

„Tony, I agreed to be director."

For a long moment Tony only stared at him.

„Of NCIS?"

„No of the local motocycle club, of course of NCIS."

„I'm sorry, Jethro, but when did you decide that you want to be director? And why the hell didn't you talk to me first? What's with the kids? The twins? Someone has to watch them! Or do you want me to quit? I love my job and you never wanted to become director!"

Jethro raised his hands in a gesture of surrender.

„I know I should have talked to you first. And as weird as it sounds, I was tricked into it. The SecNav spent me a visit and said that it's me or Clarence."

„Clarence?"

Tony asked with big eyes and suddenly he understood why Jethro had agreed.

„I said I would do it until they found somebody better for the job. I'm not asking you to quit, Tony. You can take your parental leave and then we'll see. Maybe they found a new director until then. And if not there's still day care."

Tony sighed and then nodded.

„Alright...When do you start?"

„Now."

A small grin appeared on Tony's face and he kissed Jethro softly.

„That means I can call you boss again. I mean without people thinking I'm kinky."

„People will always think you're kinky just because you're with me."

Jethro grinned back and they went out of the breakroom.

„I will need an hour to get used to the office. I'd like to see you then."

Tony raised his eyebrow invitingly.

„For a report."

Jethro said firmly but a smile lurked around the corners of his mouth. Tony went back to his desk and it wasn't before he sat that he acknowledged the questioning looks of his subordiants.

„We have a new director."

He said and for a moment they stared at him and then followed Jethro with their eyes as he walked up the stairs.

„You're kidding!"

„Nope."

Tony gave back and then looked onto his desks. There weren't any new files.

„Don't you have work to do?"

He barked and Ziva and Gilliam went back to work quickly. Satisfied he smiled and then went down into the lab to share the news with Abby and Tim. Strangely they didn't react as surprised as Gilliam and Ziva.

„We already expected that the SecNav would ask him."

Abby said looking up from the computer just long enough to shoot Tony a look. Tim nodded in agreement.

„Yeah, we didn't thought it would that easy to convince Gibbs, though. We thought he'd put up more of a fight."

Tony had shook his head and left the lab a few minutes later. It was about an hour after Jethro had shown up that Gilliam put a file onto the plasma.

„Alexander T. Kramer. Had been Major of the Marine Corp, retired three years ago. He had a company running beside his career in the Corp and now that's his full time job."

„And why am I looking at his face?"

Tony asked slightly impatiently.

„Because he and Director Shepard talked on the phone over fourty times in the last month."

Tony nodded slowly and then raised his eyebrow.

„Any other reason to add him to our suspect list?"

Gilliam looked at Ziva searching for help. Tony took a breath but before a single word left his lips Ziva spoke, immitating Tony's voice badly.

„I want to know everything about him. Where he went to school, kindergarten, what diapers he had a shit in and if you still haven't found anything I want to know what diapers his parents had a shit in."

She gave him a look and started to type on her computer. He took another breath but once more she was faster, this time in her own voice.

„You're going up to the director and we will call you if anything turns up."

A little pissed Tony gave her glare but then went up the stairs into the office.



As he opened the door he was about to say something but it died away as he saw Jethro sitting behind the desk. It seemed like an eternity that he stood there watching Jethro.

„What's wrong?"

„I know it sounds crazy...but I was expecting somebody else."

Jethro nodded in understanding.

„Yeah, me, too. What do you have for me?"

Tony sighed and sank into the chair opposite Jethro.

„To be honest, not much. Jen's been pretty closed up. I know it had nothing to do with heritance. It wasn't a secret that she inherited nearly everything to Dan and Lish, since she had no living relatives. Neither I think it was a terrorist attack. There would have been threats or anything. Or at least there would be something now. All we have now is a list of people who could have a grudge against her. And we have an ex-Marine she talked to a lot."

Jethro raised his eyebrow. Apparently he immidiatly thought he was that ex-Marine. Tony shook his head.

„Someone called Kramer. She talked to him over fourty times in the last four weeks. And whereas it would fit to the crime scene if she had been killed by her lover we're still missing the motive."

„Maybe the motive to kill her was the same as to sleep with her."

Jethro offered and Tony nodded.

„That's what I've been thinking. But we still don't have it. I guess she didn't tell you about a lover?"

The older man shook his head and leaned back in the chair. It felt wrong to sit here although she wasn't even dead for a day.

„Jethro, I know you won't like what I say now, but I think it would be approbiated to have protection detail for you and the kids. At least until we know what we are really dealing with here."

Surprisingly Jethro nodded.

„Whereas I think I'm perfectly capable of looking after myself I agree concerning Lish and Dan. And it's still possible that the murderer is somebody we know aswell."

With that Jethro nodded towards the door and dismissed Tony.