- Text Size +
As Jethro exited the elevator he felt much better than the day before. The stone that had build in his chest when he heard about his friend's death was still as heavy as when he had heard the words from Tony's mouth and he was still craving revenge but he was relieved that Tony had apologized on a non-verbal way for his abuse in the elevator. He didn't really know what to expect from his grieving husband who seemed to take Jen's death even harder than he did, and he wasn't necessarily looking forward to it if yesterday was anything to go by.

There are many ways to mourn. He knew that, hell, he probably had invented one or two, but the whole night he had surpressed the urge to tell Tony that there was no satisfaction in revenge. He had killed the murderer of his first wife and daughter, he had seen Ari die, and still neither of the deaths helped him to come over the loss he felt. It brought some feeling of justice. But in some nights he still thought he was going to suffocate from the pain and the only thing that kept him from crying out loud was Tony's presense next to him.

They walked into the office, Tony's warmth sinking through his shirt and giving him strengh, but it was as if somebody emptied a bucket of ice water over his head when he saw Italian leather shoes, like the ones Tony had insisted to have last week, popped up on his husband's desk. Jethro knew immidiatly what it meant and when he saw the face of the man he despiced deeply for trying to bust his back-then-boyfriend for slauthering a woman, he knew he'd see his old friend Tobias again.

„Good morning, DiNozzo. Comfortable chair, gotta give you that. Oh, Director Gibbs. Director Fornell is waiting upstairs in your office."

Ignoring the sarcastical tone he turned to the stairs. Preparing for his first real action with directional authority he walked up the stairs. Cynthia made to stand and tell him that Tobias was waiting for him but he waved her to sit.

„I know that Fornell's there."

She gave him the „you know everything"-look but didn't say anything. He stormed through the doors into his own office – which still felt weird – and hoped to startle the other man – of course it didn't work.

Fornell sat in front of his desk, Jethro was surprised that he didn't sit on his chair, and looked at him with a light smirk.

„Happy to see me?"

„Am I ever?"

The smirk turned into an outright grin but he sobered quickly.

„I know that the times are dark, Jethro. Jen's been my friend aswell."

„I know, Tobias."

„How's Tony holding up?"

Jethro sank into his chair and sighed deeply.

„I have no idea. The one moment he looks as if he's going to break down and in the next moment his eyes tell me that he wants blood. Sometimes it even seems as if he doesn't care at all. Usually I can read him but this time..."

He looked at his friend and raised an eyebrow.

„You didn't come to ask about the wellbeing of my husband."

„No. Whereas I do care, I didn't come for that. I think you know very well why I came."

„Oh, yes, I do. And all I can tell you is that you made the way for nothing. I won't turn this case over."

Fornell sighed softly and sat up in his chair.

„Jethro, do we really have to fight about this? It's a matter of national security."

„Yeah? Why?"

„Because the director of a federal agency was killed!"

Jethro squared his shoulders in a try to work out the kinks – it didn't help.

„There is no indication that the intented victim was the director of NCIS and not Jen Shepard."

„I seriously hope you're not counting on that and you're not walking around without protection!"

„Four agents for Lish and Dan, secure car and two agents for me and Tony will be followed where ever he'll go. He would never agree to protection detail."

Fornell nodded relieved. It didn't shock Jethro anymore that Tobias cared that openly for him and his family. They had went through enough shit together to admit that they actually were friends.

„Did it have to be Sacks?"

Tobias laughed shortly.

„Jethro, Ron is a very good agent, reminds me of myself a lot. And Tony reminds me of you, especially since you retired. Believe me, once they worked out what stands between them they'll make a good team."

„If Sacks had gotten his mind Tony would be behind bars now and I wouldn't have a family."

Before Tobias could answer Jethro waved it away.

„I know what you mean. Still, this is our case."

„Jethro, who said that I was going to take it away from you? I just want to be in it...or rather to have Ron in it."

Jethro sighed and then grapped his phone.

„Tony, get up into my office."

In an afterthought he added, „ and bring Sacks."

He shot Tobias a look and leaned back in his chair.

„If you tell anybody that I gave in that easily I'll kill you."

Tobias grinned and a moment later the doors opened and Tony stormed in.

„I got a secretary for a reason."

Jethro couldn't help saying and grinned. For a second Tony's pissed expression faded only to reappear quickly.

„You wanted to talk to me, director?"

Jethro raised one eyebrow but decided that this wasn't the right moment to fight about titles.

„You will work together with Agent Sacks on this case."

„What? It is our case! It had been right from the beginning! She was our director! What has the FBI to do with it?"

Tony demanded and Jethro took a deep breath. Usually it had been him standing in Tony's place.

„It is possible that the murder is the beginning of a plan with consequences on the basis of national security."

„Jesus, you're already talking like some politician!"

„HEY! That's not fair! It is my job to decide these kind of things and just because you..."

Jethro stopped and then looked at Tony, then at Sacks and back at Tony.

„You two already agreed to work together."

Tony changed a look with Ron and then sighed.

„How did you know?"

Jethro grinned at him.

„Tony, I know you for 15 years. You're pretty much an open book to me."

„And still you don't know what I want for Christmas."

A mischief grin appeared on Jethro's face and his voice was low when he spoke.

„You really want to discuss that in front of the director of the FBI?"

Tony shuddered for a moment but then raised his eyebrow.

„How far will this go? Are they involved as long as the motive is unclear or for the duration?"

„Duration. And no point to complain. It'll do you good."

Tony snorted and then nodded at Ron.

„C'mon, I'll give you a report..."