- Text Size +
Jethro entered the house some minutes after 6 pm. He had to finish the day like every other and he had talked to the SecNav, who had ordered to close the case at given circumstances. Jethro had known this of course, and he didn't want Tony to get into trouble so he rather risked a fight. And he got it.

The Agents assigned for the protection of his family were in a car outside the drive way. Jethro told the driver of the limousine he was picked up with to stop and got out to talk to them.

„What are you doing here, Agent James? You're supposed to be close to the house."

„Yes, sir. But your husband insisted that we leave the property."

Jethro took a deep breath and then looked up the drive way.

„Ok, go home, you're off duty. I think Tony and I are capable of looking after ourselves and the kids."

He told his driver the same and walked the hundred meters up to the house. The door opened and Dan looked out.

„Hi, Pa!"

„Dan, what did we tell you about opening the door?"

„But I saw you coming up."

„And I have a key."

Jethro said and picked his son up.

„If Tony didn't change the locks."

He muttered to himself and went inside the house. He sat down his son, who ran off to his room. Unexpectedly Tony stood in the kitching fixing dinner and the table was indeed set for four people.

„Tony, I can explain."

„I don't wanna hear it, though."

He answered without turning away from the stove. After a long moment of silence he finally turned and shook his head.

„Actually, I do."

His eyes were angry although the rest of his face was calm – though Jethro would never trust that.

„Tony, I talked to the SecNav, right after you had left the office. He ordered me to close the case, and before you say what you're thinking, I tried to tell him that I don't believe the results either. Though I didn't mention that you don't. I don't want you to be in trouble, Tony, and I'm not talking about the SecNav. Whoever pulled this wasn't alone. And they definitely have been pros!"

„Oh!!! I didn't know that you care about that! You certainly didn't when you were the one going after the perps. I told you a million times to back off and you never did! What's the difference now?"

„The difference is that I am your director and that you have a family! Tony, we cannot risk our lives the way we did! We have children to think about! If we are pissing on someone's leg it's not just our own lives we're risking!"

Jethro saw that Tony did get his point. But still the younger man's eyes were gleaming dangerously at him.

„So, you want me to accept that the real murderer of Jen is still walking around and is getting away with it?"

Jethro sighed and approached his husband.

„I want you to back off for the moment. I want you to take a step back and take care that we will get two lovely babies. I know I wasn't any better than you are now. But you know what's important when you're hunting?"

Tony shrugged slightly.

„Patience."

The younger man tilted his head and then sighed.

„Don't you have another adive? Cause this one kind of sucks."

Despite his words Tony grinned and signaled Jethro that everything was ok again, well, not everything...