- Text Size +
The drive to the all too familiar house Tony spent with thought of what consequences this particular crime could have. The list of suspect would be long and he wouldn't be too surprised if he found some familiar names on the list. Personally it would be devasting. They had lost a friend and the mourning would be even harder because of their children who have lost somebody they loved. He would have to explain Dan what it means to die and he didn't even want to think of the questions. A few years back, when Ducky's mother had passed away they had the same conversation with Lish, but it had only been someone she knew, not someone she saw at least once a week and often stayed with after school. Then they could say that she had been old, but Jen wasn't that old.

Professionally the case would have consequences, too. They would get a new director and who knew if the new one would put up with Tony's methods just as much. He had never thought about it before but he and Jethro have been more than lucky with the directors they worked under. And only because they knew them. Morrow just as much as Jen knew that whereas their methods might be questionable the results weren't and the cases weren't blown in court because of formalities. It never looked that way but Jethro and Tony both knew very well what they could and couldn't do.

But all thoughts left his mind as the truck stopped in front of the house he had visited quite regularly in the last years. Swallowing the lump in his throat down he found himself standing in a line with the agents of his team and the ME and his assistant. Only the new assistant and their newest agent changed looks. They didn't knew Jen as well as the others, they didn't belong to the family yet.

Tony could see that there was the agent responsible for Jen's protection, he had an arm reassuringly around Jen's maid. Tony finally took a deep breath and entered the house.

„Where is she?"

He asked Denis before the man had noticed his arrival.

„In her bedroom."

He said with a hoarse voice. Tony nodded his team to start but remained behind himself.

„When did you find her?"

„Only about half an hour ago. I came to pick her up. She had the morning off and had a meeting scheduled for 1500. When nobody answered the door, I forced it open. Should I call Cynthia?"

„Yeah. Call her and tell her what happened. She should know what to do. But tell her that she shouldn't say that Jen's killed to whoever she had a meeting with, except it was the SecNav. I don't want it to be public just yet. Go back to HQ and write a report. I want every t crossed and every i dotted when I come back."

Denis nodded and went out of the room to make a call. Tony turned to Naomi. Usually he would have smile reassuring but he couldn't manage.

„Did you notice anything?"

„I had the morning off. When I returned, Denis was already waiting for you."

She answered and Tony nodded.

„I'll send someone down to take your statement."

He looked at the stairs and it took him all his will to take the flight up to the bedroom. In front of the bedroom he met Ziva who looked pale and she was taking deep breaths. Tony knew that she had seen a lot and usually no crime scene was too hard for her, but the murder of a close friend, combined with her pregnancy apparently was.

„Headshot."

She said breathless and then looked at him.

„It's not too bad...it's just..."

„I know. Take as long as you need to."

Tony softly squeezed her arm and went into the room. The sight to the bed was blocked by Jimmy but Tony could see her feet, still in high heels. Swallowing hard he stepped to his ME. Now that he saw her he could understand Ziva. The sight really wasn't that bad, he had seen worse, but for him it had a completely other assossiation. Jen looked very much like Kate.

„Have you started?"

He asked in a try to focuse on other things than the picture of his two friends with a round hole in their foreheads.

„No. Tim was taking pictures and I made sure Ziva's ok. I was just about to begin."

With that he stepped to the bed, Tony noticed that his movement was hesitant.

„You don't have to do it, Jimmy. I could get a ME who hasn't known her that well."

„Will you give the case to somebody else?"

Tony snorted.

„Like hell!"

„And just as much I will let somebody else do the autopsy."

They looked at eachother in understanding and Jimmy turned back to Jen. As he pushed the liver probe through her skin Tony had to turn away or he would be standing next to Ziva trying to catch his breath and surpress his nausea. He and Jimmy had grown quite close in the time since Jethro and Ducky had retired, Tony liked to think that Jimmy was his Ducky and strangely it seemed to fit. Just as Ducky and Jethro they were completely different but after he had become ME Jimmy found more often than not the courage to stand up to Tony and ground him if he was going too far.

„Want me to check it?"

Confused he looked up at Tim who stood next to him, his eyebrows raised.

„What did you say?"

„I said the murderer must have gotten in somehow. You want me to check the windows and doors first floor?"

„Yeah, that's a good idea. You're done with the pictures?"

McGee nodded and then glanced towards the door.

„Ziva wanted to do the sketch..."

„I'm alright."

Came from the door and a moment later the Israeli appeared. She took the pad and started to sketch the scene. Tony checked that she really was alright and then turned to Jimmy as Tim left the room.

„What can you tell me?"

„According to liver temp and temperatur of the room I'd say she died about five hours ago, that would make it between 1030 and 1130. The COD is most probably the headshot but I can say more after I have done the autopsy. What are you thinking, Tony?"

Once more Jimmy had read Tony like an open book (another reason why he thought he was his Ducky). Tony sighed and slightly shook his head.

„This whole situation is so...I think she knew her killer. I mean, she gets shot when her protection detail isn't here and her maid has off. And in her bedroom. The front door had been forced open by Denis, so it hadn't been broken before and it's not a lock you could open with a credit card. And Jen's been an Agent once...and look at her."

Jimmy looked at the lifeless body again. Her blouse wasn't closed all the way and her skirt was up slightly. She lay on the bed but it didn't look as if she had fallen on it.

„You think it has been her lover?"

Jimmy asked and Tony nodded darkly.

„It sure looks that way."

„You know if she's been dating someone."

Tony shook his head and then rubbed his eyes.

„Bring her home, Jimmy."

„Sure, Tony."

His shoulders were squeezed and he quickly left the room to find McGee. But Tim could only tell him what he already suspected. No sign of forced entry.