- Text Size +
Several hours later Tony stood at the top of the stairs leading to MTAC. He waited to get a direct connection to the SecNav and used the time to watch his team work and to think. Tim was down in Abby's lab to go through Jen's computers and PDA and cell phone. Ziva was checking everybody in her contact list and Gilliam worked through all kinds of appointments Jen had had in the last months. Suddenly Tony hated that he couldn't be down there and do what he called good old-fashioned policework and instead took care of the big picture. Whereas he now knew how important it was that someone didn't drown in a huge pile of facts and could see the surface of it all he wanted to do more than to put the jigsaw of information together.

„Agent DiNozzo?"

Tony turned to the young Agent appearing from MTAC.

„We have a connection to the SecNav now."

He nodded and entered the always dark room. Immidiatly he saw the big picture of the man he had never met personally but spoken to more than once via video conference. He put on the headset the young agent held out to him and greeted shortly.

„Sir."

„I hope you have good news for me, Agent DiNozzo."

„Like what? Like I have found the murderer of Director Sheppard and he's down in Interrogation just waiting for me to interrogate him?"

„I was more thinking like this is all a bad dream."

A humorless smile appeared on Tony's face but vanished just as quickly.

„I'm sorry, sir. No good news. But fortunately no bad either."

„Can you tell me anything about the killer?"

„Not really, sir. All we know so far is that she must have known her killer. There were no signs of forced entry and...it all looked as if she had let her killer in herself. That isn't necessarily a good lead but at least we can cross some of the suspects out. Nevertheless it still could be that someone made her trust them, which is most likely."

„Any indication what the motive had been?"

„Well, we can cross out robbery, since nothing was missing, neither valuable objects, nor files or any other information. Her computer was shut down and it was secured by our computer experts. It was hard even for them to get back in. And it surely wasn't a murder to get heritage, since the main heirs are 8 and 3 years old."

He raised an eyebrow at Tony.

„My kids. She's been their godmother."

Tony admitted and the SecNav nodded slowly.

„So, we have a list of what? A few hundred names?"

„Sounds about right, sir."

Tony didn't even try to deny that at this point it was impossible to have somebody stand out.

„I have to meet with somebody I'd like to be her successor. I want to stay informed, Agent DiNozzo."

„Yes, sir."

Tony mentioned to cut the connection and took off the headset. He had been tempted to ask for a name, but decided against it.










Jethro stood in the kitchen making sandwiches for Lish and Ivi. The two had returned late from their after school activity and now were hungry. Dan sat at the kitchen table and played with his plastic soldiers. Jethro had chosen to wait to tell his children about Jen until Tony was home, whenever that would be. He knew that now there was no reasoning with his husband and therefore he didn't even try. He knew if he was still an Agent he wouldn't sleep until he got that bastard, and that day he had been tempted to storm back into the office and command his badge back.

The door bell pulled him from his thoughts and Dan was already about to get up.

„Stay here, I'll open."

Jethro ordered and Dan went back to his soldiers. He ruffled the boy's hair to make up for his gruff tone and went out to the front door. As he opened he looked shocked into the face of a man he only knew from video conferences. To see him, SecNav James Edwards, not only life and in colour, but flesh and blood, in front of him, seemed more than surreal.

„Sir."

He said automatically and frowned slightly over himself.

„May I come in?"

Jethro stepped aside. Just then he noticed what a mess the house was. It wasn't that bad, really, but for a neat ex-marine like Jethro it was, especially if the SecNav turned up.

„Dan, leave us alone, please."

Jethro said and the boy turned to their visitor.

„Who are you?"

He asked bluntly and the SecNav smiled.

„I'm Jim. What's your name?"

„Daniel."

Jethro raised his eyebrow at his son who didn't seem to go anywhere.

„And you're a great commander, I see. It works better to have a strong attack line, defense shouldn't be as large."

„You know something about war?"

Dan asked sceptically.

„He's the SecNav."

Jethro said and Dan's eyes went wide.

„Really? I wanna be a Marine, sir!"

„Well, then grow up and you'll be one."

Jim smiled and Jethro finally shushed his son out of the room.

„Care for coffee?"

„Sure. You have a nice son."

„Thanks."

Jethro put a cup on the table and took his own.

„What can I do for you, sir?"

Jim sighed and sat at the table, mentioning Jethro to do so, too.

„I'm not sure if you heard already, but Director Shepard died this morning."

Jethro nodded darkly.

„My husband told me."

„Your husband?"

Jethro looked up and was relieved to see only curiosity in the other man's eyes and not disgust or anything like that.

„Anthony DiNozzo, he's working the case."

„Ah, yes, Agent DiNozzo. I talked to him not too long ago."

For a few moments they were both silent.

„So, what did you come for...sir?"

He added the formal name to make the question sound more polite. The SecNav cleared his throat and leaned forward in his seat.

„NCIS needs a new director."

Jethro looked at him, waiting for a name or anything but when nothing came the coin dropped.

„ME?"

„You have been one of the best Agents NCIS had and you have the experiences needed. You worked with politicians before and you can stand your ground...to be honest, Director Shepard herself has thrown your name into the mix when I had dinner with her once. We were talking hypothetically back then but she had good arguments and I think you would be the best for the job."

Jethro shook his head and tried to think of a way to explain why he couldn't take the job.

„You see, I'm flattered, but my husband and me...we decided to have another child...and one turned into two...we're expecting twins and Tony is counting on me that I'll take care of them while he is working."

„Well, NCIS has a very good day care for children between 1 and 10 and he has a right for one year parental leave so..."

„Yeah but...I'm retired."

Jim frowned and shook his head.

„As far as I know you're taking personal leave and you have more than a week left."

Jethro shook his head and couldn't help smiling.

„Jen."

He muttered but then looked at the SecNav.

„Seriously, sir. I think you can find somebody better for the job."

Jim nodded and leaned back. He took a sip of his coffee and then shrugged.

„Well, then it'll be Agent Clarence."

Jethro's eyes widened. Clarence was probably the worst agent he ever met and he couldn't stand his ground, period. To have him as director would mean that all cases with questionable jurisdiction would be turned over quickly, they wouldn't get more money than absolutely necessary, which means much less than necessary.

„I guess he will like..."

„I'll do it."

Jim raised one eyebrow.

„But just until you found somebody better for the job. But not Clarence."

The SecNav smiled smugly and Jethro knew that he had been tricked into the job. Suddenly he knew that he had done a big mistake to take the job without talking to Tony, but on the other hand, he could always quit.

„Very well then. It would be perfect if you could start right away."

Jim rose from his chair and held out his hand to Jethro.

„And please, call me Jim."

„Jethro."

He answered as he shook the man's hand shortly. As Jim was in the door he turned again.

„And say bye to your son."