- Text Size +
Chapter 2

"We've got a situation down at Bethesda," Gibbs announced, gathering things from his desk. "Someone got past security and took out Hooks," he explained quickly. "Grab your gear," he barked. "McGee, call Ducky. DiNozzo, gas the truck. Ziva, you're with me." He stood and moved quickly toward the elevator. "Let's roll!"
"Boss, should I call Agent Fornell?" McGee asked before the elevator doors shut. Gibbs' hand flew out to catch the closing doors.
"I'll handle that, McGee!" he called out, and then allowed the doors to shut behind them.
"Gibbs, do you think it was Hamas?" Ziva asked, once they were alone in the moving elevator.
"I was hoping you would know that," he countered.
"I will see what I can find out," she promised him.
"You do that," he replied, stepping off the elevator and heading quickly toward the vehicle. Ziva rushed to keep up with his long stride, and slid into the passenger seat just in time to earn one of her boss's rare smiles of approval, as he screeched out of the parking lot and raced toward Bethesda Hospital.

---

The look Gibbs gave her was all Ziva needed to know the conversation she was about to overhear was off the record.
"It's me," Gibbs said into the phone, not bothering to reduce his speed. "They got Hooks," he paused. Ziva was unable to hear Fornell's response, but could hear enough to interpret his tone. He was not a happy camper. "We'll check it out… see you there," he said as he disconnected the phone. "Darn it," he said under his breath. He jerked the steering wheel causing the car to veer sharply to the right, tires squealing.
"Are we detouring?" Ziva asked in confusion.
"Fornell got a tip from an undisclosed source regarding Hooks about the same time we got the call. Intel suggests Fahd al-Fulani is orchestrating something; now we know what," he said shortly.
"His plane leaves at 1325 hours," Ziva stated, seeing the problem. Due to some chatter picked up by Homeland Security, all agencies had been closely tracking al-Fulani's movements over the past two weeks. Lance Corporal Hooks was being held in protective custody during an FBI investigation of a deep sleeper cell about which he was able to give damning information. Security had already been breached once, which was the reason for hospital confinement.
"Tony; Gibbs," Gibbs identified himself when Tony answered the phone. "We're trying to head off al-Fulani. Sacks will be meeting you at the scene. You're in charge," he said, disconnecting the line.
"Ziva, get in touch with your contacts now," he ordered, increasing his speed even more in an attempt to get to the airport in time. "Then call McGee and have him get the evidence to Abby ASAP. We need to wrap this up before they make us release al-Fulani."
"On it," Ziva said, immediately beginning to make calls.
"Thanks," he said, sparing her a grateful glance, before turning back to concentrate on the road.

---

Gibbs and Ziva exited the car in record time, and drew their badges to identify themselves as agents in order to bypass airport security. Gibbs informed the security staff of the number of Fahd al-Fulani's flight, and asked them to stall takeoff without tipping off the passengers to the potential problem. When they entered the gate area, the staff had already begun loading the plane. Fornell rounded the corner and spotted them, acknowledging their presence with the nod of his head. Gibbs motioned for Fornell to monitor the gate area in case al-Fulani was able to elude them, and then he and Ziva boarded the plane to apprehend the suspect. Weapon drawn, Gibbs made his way into first class while Ziva walked toward the back of the plane. Reaching the tail without spotting him, she turned and made her way to first class to assist her boss with the arrest. She pulled back the curtain to find Gibbs lying on the floor of the plane, unconscious, in a pool of his own blood. With a jolt, the plane began moving. Ziva rushed to the cockpit doors and began pounding on them. Realizing she couldn't access them, she ran to the door of the plane, but was unable to do anything to stop the plane from taxiing even faster down the tarmac. She said a quick prayer in thanks that several passengers had not yet boarded before their unexpected take-off, and for the safety of her boss. She rushed to his side and attended to his wound.