- Text Size +
The four in the living room all looked up at the same time as they heard movement in the hallway leading to Tony's bedroom. A moment later Hirudo, followed closely by Peter stepped into the room. Gibbs noted that they had taken a moment to get dressed and that their faces were both relaxed and free of fear.

Hirudo walked straight to Hades, “My Lord Hades, Peter has agreed to accompany me when I return to the underworld, but he begs a boon of two days to put his earthly affairs in order and bid farewell to his family.”

Hades listened to Hirudo then turned his attention to Peter, “I must hear the words from you. You wish to venture to the underworld and abide with Hirudo in the Elysian Fields for all eternity?”

Peter stepped to Hirudo's side to face Hades and said confidently, “Yes.”

Hades extended his hands, palm up, “Do you offer your allegiance to me?”

Peter did not hesitate to place his hands in Hades', Hirudo had told him this would be expected and explained what to do and say, “I pledge myself to you, my Lord Hades.”

They all witnessed the glow between their clasped hands and when Hades released Peter he said, “You have three days remaining here. When you go to sleep on the third day you will awaken in the Fields. Do you understand?”

“Yes, Hades. Thank you.”

Tony could feel all of the tension leaving the Thing. It was half done. He was almost free. He could feel Gibbs' eyes on him. And Tony's heart was breaking. His secret was out, his feelings for Gibbs out in the open. And Tony was going to have to leave, leave NCIS, leave his teammates, leave his life here, leave Gibbs. Part of him would rather die than leave and for a moment he wondered if that weren't the best option. Because just the mere thought of leaving Gibbs constricted his chest so hard he couldn't breathe.

Tony forgot that Hirudo could read all of his thoughts and the booming, “NO!” that Hirudo shouted in his head startled him out of his thoughts.

“Death is not the solution. Your soul will still pine for him.”

“I don't know what to do. He wasn't ever supposed to find out.”

Hirudo's voice gentled and mirrored Tony's own words back to him, “Tell him the truth.”


Before Tony could reply, their attention was brought back to Hades. “Hirudo, we must free Tony.”

Hirudo nodded, bowing his head. Hecate stepped forward and place a hand on that bowed head and recited an ancient incantation. When she stepped back Hirudo lifted his head and opened his eyes. He took a couple of steps forward and it was like something out of a psychedelic music video. There was a Tony still standing in the starting point next to Hecate, but as Hirudo had moved forward there seemed to be a thousand Tony's between him and the original. When Hirudo stopped walking all of the copies slammed into him one by one until they were all absorbed, leaving only two Tony's.

Hirudo turned to look at Tony, who was staring at his hands as he open and closed his fists, amazed that he could move on his own again. Hirudo turned back towards Hades, “It is done. He is free.”

Hirudo looked over to Gibbs who was staring at Tony with a myriad of emotions in his eyes, concern and confusion plainly evident, as was the awe and love.

Tony refused to look up. His mind racing on what he would have to do to pack up his life quickly and move on, to hide from what was revealed. He was still looking down when Hirudo stepped over to him and lifted his chin so that he could meet the mirror image of his own eyes. “Tony, heed my last words to you.”

And with that he left Tony standing there and went to Peter, who embraced him fiercely.

“Tony!” Abby exclaimed and muckled on to him. He squeezed her back and buried his face in her neck, trying to hide. He whispered, “Thanks, Abs. I should have known Gibbs would call you, and you'd know how to help me.”

Abby could feel the tension and shaking in Tony's body and squeezed him tighter, “Everything is okay now, Tony. I promise. It's all okay.”

Tony had long suspected that Abby knew of his feelings for Gibbs, she was just incredibly intuitive. She heard the catch in his voice as he said softly in her ear, “He's going to hate me, Abby. I can't do this.”

“Shhh, you can. He loves you too, Tony. Just give him a little time.”

While Abby was comforting Tony, Hades eyes locked onto Gibbs' and he quirked an eyebrow and cocked his head in Tony's direction with the little impish smirk back on his face.

Gibbs was lost, he wanted time, needed time to sort this all out now that Tony was safe. His mind was just whirl of emotions.

Hecate finally caught Hades attention and he took charge of the situation, he cleared his throat and all eyes in the room were on him. “Hirudo, Peter, you may take your leave. I will see you in three days. Cousin, you and I will escort Abigail home safely. Gibbs, you will see to Tony.”

Peter and Hirudo looked around the room briefly and with a quick bow of their heads, left.

Abby turned back to Tony and kissed him on the cheek then with a wide smile placed her hand in the one Hades extended and they made their way to the door.

Hecate followed but gave Gibbs' hand a quick squeeze and a little smile, she could feel the nervous energy pouring out of him and she infused him with calm one last time before she left with Abby and Hades.

Tony was back to staring at the carpet, with a look on his face that Gibbs never wanted to see there again. It was the same look that he had seen on some of the faces of the past when Hades had shown him their history. It was a look of pain and loss that had only been on the faces of those who were denied each other. It hurt Gibbs more than he wanted to admit to see it now on Tony's face. And it needed to go away.

Tony felt it the moment Gibbs stepped behind him, it was as if his very soul was reaching out to find Gibbs. But it was never to be, and Tony just had to accept that, no matter how badly it hurt, or how empty it made him feel. He wasn't prepared when Gibbs took him by the shoulders and turned him around. And he especially wasn't prepared when one of Gibbs strong arms circled his shoulders and pulled him in to Gibbs' chest, while his other arm and hand cradled Tony's head and tucked in the crook of Gibbs' neck. Tony had no defense, his walls were completely demolished and he just melted into the embrace and allowed all of the maelstrom of emotions that had been building to pour out as he sobbed against Gibbs.

Gibbs just held Tony through the storm and when Tony finally quieted he loosened his hold enough so that he could see Tony's face. Neither man said anything as Gibbs gently wiped the remaining salty tears off of Tony's cheeks, neither man spoke as he ran a calloused thumb over Tony's lips, and neither man spoke as Gibbs dipped his head to press his lips to Tony's.

---------------

Abby had been walking hand in hand with Hades, Hecate at her other shoulder when she realized that they needed a car to get to her home, when suddenly she realized as they stepped out of the shadows and into the glow of the next streetlight that they were in fact on her street already.

They paused in that light, a couple of blocks from her home and Hecate extended her hands palm up to Abby, “I am going to bid you farewell here, Abby, and leave you in Hades' capable hands.”

Abby placed her hands in Hecate's and the familiar glow passed between them, “Thank you, Hecate. For everything.”

Hecate smiled, “Anytime Abby, you know how to contact me if you ever need me.”

Abby nodded cheerfully and Hecate addressed Hades, “You behave yourself.”

He gave her a wicked little grin, “Where is the fun in that, Cousin?” He leaned in a gave her a peck on the cheek.

Hecate shook her head and they heard her chuckling as she walked back into the shadows.

Hades turned back towards Abby and teased playfully, “So, Abigail. What does a god have to do to impress you?”

Her husky laugh filled the night as he walked her the remainder of the way to her door. And by the time they reached it, it was harder to tell who was more enthralled, Abby or Hades. Standing on her front steps he asked seriously, all traces of the playful imp gone again, “I have to hear you say the words, Abigail. Is this something you desire?”

Abby fearlessly met his eyes, knowing her entire life was about to change and said, “Yes, I think I've wanted this forever but just didn't know it.”

He took her right hand and turned it so her palm was up and brought it towards his mouth and whispered solemnly, “Then Abigail, my beloved, you are now and will always be the beloved of Hades.” And with that he kissed her upturned palm.

Time seemed to stand still, and there was a warm tingling running up her arm from where his lips lingered on her palm. That tingling overtook her entire body and she almost exploded in ecstasy. A thousand times more powerful than any orgasm she had ever had, the intensity almost made her pass out and she found herself plastered limply against Hades' chest. His deep chuckle roused her and she lifted her head to meet his eyes.

The raw lust in his eyes was evident and he teased seductively, “And to think, beloved, that was just a kiss on your hand. Imagine when we make love.”

Abby shivered at the thought and her palm tingled so much it almost burned. She brought her hand around to look at her palm and gasped, for there in an almost glowing sliver, was Hades' sigil, and it seemed to be pulsing in time with her heart beat. Her eyes sought his for an answer.

“It will fade, beloved, but now all creatures of the light and dark will know that you are mine. And while we are apart, should you need me all you must do is place it against your heart and call me. I will answer.”

Abby looked back to her palm and smiled, “What happens now?”

“For now, it has been a long day. You should get some sleep. And tomorrow check on your friends. Then we will get to know each other.” He stroked her cheek gently, “We have all the time we need, beloved, in this life and beyond. And though I want you in my bed now, I want to know all that you are first.”

“Slow is good.”

He leaned down and hovered his mouth over hers and as they shared breath, whispered, “Slow it is then.” And he sealed his mouth to hers.

---------------
tbc...