- Text Size +
---------------

They rejoined the women and the four of them headed upstairs to Tony’s apartment. Gibbs used his key to quietly open the door and they slipped inside. There was no sound in the apartment and the only light was dimly coming down the hall from Tony’s bedroom. At Gibbs nod, Hades strode confidently down the hallway and stepped into the bedroom with the others quickly following.

Tony’s young lover was the first to realize they were there and he shook Tony’s sleeping form to wake him. Hecate pointed at the young man and with a cutting motion of her hand said, “You. Sleep.” And his eyes gently closed and he fell back onto the pillow.

Hirudo was now awake and when he recognized who was in the bedroom he stood, naked, and made to defend himself.

Hades stood with his arms crossed and a furious look on his face, “Hirudo, you slimy leech. Why are you not where you belong?”

Tony took in the scene and was relieved to see Gibbs and Abby with the two strangers. He had known that Gibbs would know what to do. He could feel the stark terror in the thing and wondered exactly who this stranger was that instilled such fear.
Hirudo snarled at Hades, “You wouldn’t understand. I’m not going back there.”

“Well that is where you are wrong. Your place is in Tartarus, and it is there that you will return.”

“For eons I did your bidding, and helped the three of you gain dominion over all that is, and for that I get stuck in the pit of hell? Trapped in a form so hideous even the slime of Tartarus wouldn’t have me. Forced to live among the damned and the vile. I am not evil, yet with those that are I am cast. I am not going back there.”

Tony had odd flashes of a vile place flicker in his consciousness and his mind shivered in revulsion. It truly was a place of the damned. But what bothered Tony the most was this aching loneliness that almost threatened to consume them. Was that what this was all about? Was the thing simply lonely?”

As if on cue the thing’s gaze went to Peter and seeing his still form he cried out, “What have you done to him, witch?” He rushed to Peter’s side looking for signs of life, there were none. And the thing let out a wail of agony.

As the thing stood up straight, Gibbs, standing behind Hades, gasped, back was the feral, angry look in Tony’s eyes. It had not been there until the thing had seen the unconscious form of his lover. And now the snarl on his face was full of sharp pointed teeth with a low growl that seemed to come from somewhere deep inside the thing. Gibbs didn’t understand.

The thing looked to Gibbs and spat out, “I warned you. I told you not to interfere. You will never have him back now. And I will take great pleasure in torturing him until his mind shatters. I will make him scream and beg for eternity.”

Gibbs stood his ground, remembering what Hades had said, but it almost killed him to do so.

Hades had had enough, “No, you will not, Hirudo. But you will explain what you doing here. And why you haven’t greeted me properly yet, leech.” He extended his hands palm up towards Hirudo.

Almost as if he couldn’t refuse, the thing stepped towards Hades and begrudgingly placed his hands in Hades. Gibbs saw the glow between their hands and the thing let out a sharp screech of frustration.

“Tell me.” Hades commanded.

The thing dropped his head for a moment and when he raised it again, the fangs were gone, as was the feral look in Tony’s eyes. Instead it was replaced by a look of abject sadness. All those in the room could almost feel it coming off of Hirudo in waves, it was so strong.

And in a small broken voice the thing said, “I didn’t want to be alone any longer.”

Hades and Hecate looked at each with raised eyebrows. Hades turned his attention back to Hirudo, “I would speak with the one trapped inside, with Tony.”

Hirudo closed his eyes and when they reopened it was a terrified Tony looking back at them. “Somebody please help me. He…he…”

Hades deep voice soothed Tony, “Calm yourself, Tony. Now I need to know what Hirudo has said to you and what he is feeling.”

Tony laughed a nervous twitter and said, “He’s scared of you. But he’s more scared of going back to that place. He’s had a lot of fun tormenting me and he made me think he was going to kill Gibbs, but of course he didn’t do that, right Boss?” He looked at Gibbs who was wearing an oddly gentle expression aimed at Tony, and that look worried Tony almost as much as anything else that had happened in the past day.

He dragged his attention back to Hades, “We went to a bar and met this guy and well…you know…” he gestured towards the bed, “and I thought he was going to kill him, but all he did was drink some blood and then we all passed out for a while. I think he really likes this guy, and he said he wants to keep him.”

“And what of his emotions?”

“At first he was sort of angry, then with Peter he was gentle and really passionate, and since you all woke us up he’s been afraid, and this really old loneliness is almost overpowering.”

“Hear me, Tony, I need to speak with Hirudo again, but know this, he cannot harm you. You must trust in me for this. Now close your eyes and let Hirudo come forth.”

Tony looked past him to meet Gibbs eyes one more time trying to discern what he was seeing there. Gibbs gave him a little nod and Tony closed his eyes.

When they reopened Hirudo was back.

Hades was standing with his arms crossed again and he addressed the pathetic looking creature in front of him. “What do you want exactly, Hirudo?”

“I want this…” he motioned towards Tony’s body, “and I want him returned to me…” he pointed to the still form on the bed, “and I do not want to go back to the pit.”

Hades regarded him for a long moment and turned to Hecate, who said, “I believe I know what you are thinking, and yes, it will work. But the question will be if Peter agrees to it. We both know the rules, we cannot force him.”

“True. Hirudo must also agree. Wake the boy.”

Hecate walked over to Peter and placed a gentle hand on his heart and closed her eyes for a moment and then opened them, her expression troubled. Peter’s eyes opened slowly and as they came into focus he became afraid. The bedroom was crowded with many people and the large imposing man in the front of them all was wearing a large sword. Hecate, with her hand still on his heart said softly, “Do not be afraid, you are safe and among friends.” Gibbs saw the soft glow under her hand and knew that she had gifted him with the same calm she had given him earlier.

Hirudo’s eyes grew large as Peter stirred and asked Hecate, “He lives?”

Before she could answer Pete said sarcastically, “At least for now.” No one knew exactly what he meant by that, although neither Hecate or Hirudo looked surprised.

Hades again took control of the situation, “Hirudo, attend me. This is my offer to you. You will return Tony intact. In exchange you may keep his form, and if he chooses, Peter may accompany you back to the underworld to dwell forever in the Elysian Fields. But my condition is this, you will relinquish all that you are and become human. You did faithfully serve us in the war and we did not compensate you as befitting. No creature deserves eternal loneliness as a reward. Do you agree to all of this?”

Hirudo was in fact shocked at Hades’ generosity. He just needed to convince Peter to go with him. “You are most generous, and I agree to your conditions. I would beg a moment alone with him to explain and allow him to make his decision.”

Hades nodded, “Very well.”

Following Hades lead they left Hirudo alone with his lover. When he turned to face Peter he was met with wide blue eyes, filled with fear and curiosity.

“Peter…” he began softly and at the sound of his name for the first time coming from his lover’s lips Peter shivered.

---------------

tbc...