- Text Size +
Chapter 4:

Baltimore, MD September 2001

The crowd that had gathered at the scene was impressive. Normally journalists didn't bother coming around when a body was found at the local dump. But then again, some people will use whatever they can get to try to improve their career.

Special Agent Leroy Jethro Gibbs did not deal with reporters. As he pushed his way through the crowd, he could hear Ducky following behind him muttering apologies.He knew that Ducky wouldn't take offense at his behavior. Being sent out with no team to investigate a murder was not something he liked doing, especially knowing that he would most likely have to share jurisdiction with the Baltimore detectives already working the case.

That in itself was going to be demanding. Gibbs never had the patience to deal with incompetence or the politics of who was in charge and got credit. In his opinion, anyone who was more concerned about being in the spotlight than getting those responsible for a crime did not deserve to be in law enforcement.

Finally both he and Ducky had managed to get passed the cameras and microphones and onto the other side of perimeter of officers guarding the entrance. It was ridiculous that they were not allowed to drive their truck to the crime scene. Gibbs took that as a sign that whoever was in charge was already going for a power play.

Since they were expected it didn't take long for them to be directed to the location of the body. No one seemed to take notice as they approached the body; everyone seemed to be in groups off to the sides talking to themselves. The only one who did seem to be doing something in relation to the crime scene was a young man in jeans and a grey t-shirt.

His back was to them and as Gibbs got closer, he could see that he was doing a sketch of the crime scene. From what he could see, it seemed that the young man knew what he was doing.

"Well, isn't this a charming place," Ducky said sarcastically as he moved towards the body.

"There's always someplace worse," the young man replied as he looked up from his work. "Detective Anthony Dinozzo, call me Tony."

"Special Agent Gibbs, Dr. Mallard, NCIS," Gibbs said. "Are you in charge here?"

Dinozzo snorted and rolled his eyes as he went back to work. "No, that would be the two guys over there standing around trying to look important."

"Ah, well I suppose we should go over and clear it with them before I start my examination," Ducky said dryly.

Dinozzo waved his hand dismissively. "You're fine. I already processed the area around the body, so you won't be trampling on any evidence."

"What else?" Gibbs asked, wanting to know how much work Dinozzo had done on his own.

Dinozzo paused again to look up at Gibbs, who began to notice the dark circles around his eyes telling of lack of sleep. "Everything is done except for this sketch," he paused to wave it in the air, "and whatever it is that your M.E. wants to do."

Gibbs had to say that he was both impressed and annoyed. Dinozzo obviously wasn't your average LEO, but he still shouldn't have been the only one doing the work.

Giving a nod to Ducky, who began to get to work on examining the body, Gibbs made his way towards the men that Dinozzo had pointed out. They noticed his approach and started to make their way towards him as well.

"So you're NCIS then?" said a partially balding man with a stomach that spoke of one too many visits to the local doughnut shop. The other man was a few pounds lighter, but well on his way to looking like the other one.

"Special Agent Gibbs. Detective Dinozzo tells me you're in charge?" Gibbs said.

The balding man held out his hand and replied, "Captain Taddins. This is Dinozzo's partner, Detective Starks."

Gibbs eyed them both carefully. "If you're his partner, why are you over hear instead of helping him process the crime scene?"

Starks shrugged. "I'm senior detective, Agent Gibbs. Besides, this is how Tony and I always work crime scenes."

Captain Taddins started walking them back towards the body, where Ducky and Dinozzo were quietly talking. "Why don't we go and see what he's got for us?"

The group approached them just in time to see Ducky remove a piece of evidence from the body.

"Impressive, Tony. I do believe you may be on to something here," Ducky said in approval as he placed the evidence into the bag that the detective held out.

"Is that so, Ducky?" Gibbs asked.

Ducky nodded his head and passed over the bag. "I do believe that there is more to this case than meets the eye."

"So what is it you found?" Taddins questioned.

Gibbs held up the bag for everyone to see. Inside it lay a pocket calendar.

"Oh come on, Tony. Not again with this," Starks groaned.

Dinozzo glared at his partner. "Come on. Even you can't be that stupid. This isn't just a coincidence."

"My wife carries a pocket calendar in her purse! Does that mean that she's the next victim?" Starks shouted. "This isn't some movie you know, this is real life. There is no serial killer on the loose!"

Gibbs spared a glance with Ducky. Serial killer?

"That's enough you two!" Taddins interrupted the argument. "Dinozzo, I told you to drop this. You have no proof."

"I would if you would…" Tony began.

"No!" Taddins interrupted again before Tony could continue. "No more on the subject. Stay here and help NCIS with the crime scene and transport the body to the morgue. Starks and I will head back over and make sure a place is set up for all of us to work."

With that Captain Taddins and Detective Starks turned and left, but not before both men gave Dinozzo a glare.

"Idiots," Dinozzo muttered under his breath before turning to look at Gibbs. "You shouldn't have had to hear that."

"Don't apologize for them," Gibbs said.

"Just saying that you shouldn't have had to witness that kind of crap," Dinozzo replied.

"You think we got the workings of a serial killer here?" Gibbs wanted to know.

"I believe he may have something that's worth looking into,"Ducky stated.

"I'd have more to go on but the lab won't run any evidence through," Dinozzo explained.

Gibbs gave him a thoughtful look. His gut was telling him to trust the detective. "Alright," he said as he came to a decision. "Why don't you fill us in on the way over to your precinct?"

The detective looked surprised. "Are you serious?"

"Do I look like I'm joking?" Gibbs asked as he glared at Dinozzo.

He shrugged his shoulders. "Just making sure." Dinozzo then moved to help Ducky get the body into the body bag. Gibbs went to arrange for their truck to be allowed in.

As the three waited, Gibbs and Ducky listened to Tony as he began to fill them in on his theories and how several other murder cases could be related to their current case.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

"I didn't know you worked together before you came here," McGee said, obviously surprised.

Tony shrugged. "It was just good timing. I was looking to leave the Baltimore PD at the time. If Gibbs hadn't hired me I would have been looking for a job somewhere else."

"Right, like we could have just left you in that hell hole," Ducky said with annoyance. He didn't like how Tony seemed to be downplaying how he was hired.

Neither did Gibbs. "There was no point in an interview, McGee," Gibbs told him. "The work Tony did while on the case was proof enough that he was more than capable of being an agent."

Tony smiled at what Ducky and Gibbs had said. It gave him more confidence to reveal what had happened all those years ago to Ziva and McGee.

"I thought everyone had to go through an interview. Isn't it SOP?" Ziva said curiously.

Gibbs raised his eyebrows as he looked at her. "I don't recall giving you an interview when you were placed on my team."

Ziva stared at him before giving a slight nod of her head, indicating that she had gotten his point. There were exceptions to every rule.

"Personally, I wonder how the Baltimore PD is still functioning without you there," Abby said as she hugged Tony's arm.

Tony snickered. "Who said they were functioning so great when I was there?"

Abby pretended to think about it before laughing herself. "Good point."

Gibbs was glad to see that some of the tension had left Tony. He hated knowing that he was going to be putting it back, but they had to get back on track.

"Everyone grab a chair," Gibbs ordered. "There is a lot of information to go over, it will take a while."

As everyone got situated, McGee asked, "Can you start by telling us what is up with the pocket calendar?"

Ziva immediately agreed to this. "Yes! Why on earth would such a thing make all of you act so strangely?"

Gibbs, Tony, Ducky and Abby all looked at each other, trying to decide who would start. Tony didn't wait long before starting to explain the significance of the dreaded pocket calendar.
Chapter End Notes:
Yes, yes, yes I can hear the outrage now. I hope everyone likes this chapter despite the evil cliffhanger. As I said last time this is my first attempt at doing flashbacks in a story like this so any and all feedback is welcome. If enough people don't like what I did I will re-write this chapter. So depending on what you all think will determine how long before Chapter 5. So please, please, please review!!!