- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
some rubs Gibbs up the wrong way
The car journey over to the crime scene was a silent one. Nobody wanted another victim but with another body came the possibility of more leads. Owning up to the fact that you were secretly praying for another dead body so that you could get a lead was not something that any of them wanted to do. So everyone kept quiet.

From the back of the truck, Ziva could just about make out Gibbs' outline. He was sitting exactly still, eyes forward so Ziva couldn't make out his expression. ‘What the hell had been that look he had given her earlier? He couldn't possibly know about this morning, could he? Had she given it away some how?' But even so, there had been something there, in that look; something unsaid but definitely there. He had been staring at her, and not in a ‘you should be doing something' kind of way; more of a ‘I should be doing something' kind of way.'

Ziva's face frowned as she as her mind fought over reasons for that look, trying frantically to find something that would fit. She already knew the reason of course, deep down; but her subconscious was ignoring it. She had been trained to keep those kinds of feelings hidden, even from herself; but that didn't mean they weren't there. Her strives to find a suitable explanation, free from the obvious, came to an abrupt end as they pulled up at the victim's house.

Tony turned the ignition off and everybody disembarked. Gibbs was immediately in control, marching up to the scene, looking for anybody that looked vaguely in charge. He found her.

"I'm Special Agent Gi…" he began.

"Not necessary, I know who you are," the woman stated coldly.

"Well, I'm afraid I can't repay the compliment," said Gibbs with not even the slightest whisper of warmth in the statement.

The woman stared hard at Gibbs and spoke loudly and in perfect syllables, "Detective Joanne Went."

Gibbs gave a small, almost unnoticeable nod and carried on, "Well we are from NCIS and…"

"Here to take over the investigation and blah blah blah; I said I knew who you were."

Gibbs's eye twitched slightly in its socket. "Then why do I not see your people leaving this site?"

"Oh they are Special agent Gibbs," she said with a distinct sneer. "Then you will be free to mess up yet another crime scene from this guy," she said but this time whispered under her breath.

"Excuse me?!" Gibbs said loudly, his hands clenched but remaining by his side.

The woman seemed to gain confidence and stood up straighter, asserting her self. She looked Gibbs in the eye for a second, then put her hands on her hips and answered, "How many crime scenes is this now?"

"If you inclu…include this one…then…four?" piped up a small man from behind her. She whipped round and glared at the poor man.

"Shut up Wren," she turned back around to Gibbs who looked livid.

Ziva watched this entire scene with a mixture of emotions including shock, anger and a small amount of humour. She was shocked, if a little in awe of this woman's immense confidence and her ability to stare right back at Gibbs with equal intensity. The anger was well deserved; after all, this woman wasn't just insulting Gibbs, she was insulting the team. Lastly, even Ziva had to admit it was quite amusing at how stupid this woman was to actually think she had a chance of beating down Leroy Jethro Gibbs. She watched as Gibbs held himself back and the woman continued to raise the game.

"And the rest," the woman spat at Gibbs, "it's only four bodies here, but five over at Baltimore, two in new Jersey and who knows how many more?!"

"They are not under my jurisdiction." Gibbs said plainly, his teeth gritted together.

"This killer is going loose and you," she scoffed, "are doing absolutely nothing to stop it except sit on your asses all day and…" The woman was left hanging as Gibbs leered up in front of her, his eyes small and tight, but still gleaming in the morning light.

"MY TEAM IS DOING THEIR DAMN BEST TO CATCH THIS KILLER, AND I AM NOT GOING TO STAND HERE AND LISTEN TO ANY MORE OF YOUR CRAP! NOW MOVE ASIDE."

The woman swallowed hard and hesitated before moving aside, the color drained from her face. She had cowered under Gibbs, as Ziva knew she would, as she knew anybody would. Ziva looked left at McGee and Tony, both of them with their mouths hanging open. McGee looked petrified, but Ziva only had to glimpse at Tony to know he was laughing hysterically on the inside. Ziva smirked and set foot after a storming Gibbs. As she passed the woman, she smiled at the woman who did not return the pleasure, and laughed to her self. Gibbs was definitely someone she admired; he was strong, confident, and boy could he win a fight. Ziva silently reminded her self to never cross over to Gibbs' bad side and stepped into the dark hallway of the house.

***