- Text Size +
Disclaimer: I don't own these characters, nor am I making any money from them. I merely borrow them from time to time.

Nothing had changed, that was the first thing I realized when I entered Abbys lab with a Caf-Pow in my hand. The music was loud and she was still wearing black clothes. Quietly I went over to the CD player and turned the music off. Surprised Abby spun around.
“Nothing really changed, did it?”, I grinned.
“Tony?”, she almost whispered.
Suddenly she let out a yell, ran over to me and jumped into my arms. Because I didn’t expect it I tilted back. As a consequence I lay on my back and Abby on top of me.
“I can’t believe it! It is really you! You could’ve told us that you are coming to Washington!”, she smiled and pressed herself closer to me.
Shortly after that she got up again, thrusted out her hand and pulled me to my feet. Suddenly the door to the lab opened a second time and Tim ran in the room. Thereby he held his weapon ready to fire in his hand.
“Abby?”, he called.
“Put the weapon away Tim.”, she grinned and went over to him.
“What happened? I heard you scream.”
“I assume that I’m responsible for it.”, I smiled and walked into Tims field of vision.
At the moment he saw me a smile appeared on his lips then he put away his weapon. Slowly he came over to me and finally pulled me into a tight embrace.
“I’m that happy to see you!”, he meant and slapped me on the back.
Then he let me go and sat down on one of the chairs. Abby didn’t hesitate and sat on his legs.
“May I ask you what you are doing in Washington?”, Tim asked a few seconds later.
“Of course! I’m working!”, I answered avoidant.
“You’re coming back?”, Abby wanted to know and her eyes lit up.
“Yes! No!”, I briefly shook my head. “For a while. My team and I are investigating the homicides of several marines and one of our most important trace is leading to Washington.”
But above all Tim didn’t seem to care what I said. He only sighed.
“Do you know how strange it sounds when you talk about your team and don’t refer to us?”, he wanted to know from me and tightened his grip around Abby.
Slightly embarrassed I only watched the floor. Was it possible that my valediction tore a hole in the team that, even after five years, hadn’t mended completely?
“Hey! You’re a great team! You don’t need me!”, I tried to cheer them up.
But I realized it myself that I was failing.
“Since you left not much is how it was used to be Tony.”, Abby objected.
This time Tim only nodded.
“Why?”
“Shortly after you left Gibbs starkly changed. He is even more cagey than before. No-one of us was able to come close to him, neither Ducky nor me. Against the director he became even more aggressive. As far as we know he didn’t speak a single word to her since then. Furthermore he doesn’t seem to have any sort of private life anymore. Sometimes he works for days without eating or sleeping. With us he is only grouchy and excitabliest. I can’t count the times anymore how often he lead Ziva to almost quit her job in the last years. And I have to admit that I miss the Gibbs he was in the past.”, Abby bitterly explained.
Aghast I shook my head. That couldn’t be possible! Above all I felt sorry for the others because it hadn’t been my intention that they all suffered under Gibbs because I decided to leave...