- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Tony and Gibbs go on their first date.
Tony eyed his closet. Gibbs hadn't said where they'd be going so he really wasn't sure what to wear. Pursing his lips in thought, Tony considered his options.

Too dressy was out. Gibbs was coming from the office so it was unlikely they'd be going anywhere with a dress code. And other than the one time he'd seen Gibbs in a tux for a case and that nice gray suit he wore to the office when they'd gotten called in on a weekend....Tony couldn't honestly say he'd seen the older man dress up much.

Better to forgo anything too formal. Or too casual, Tony decided. Gibbs didn't dress down at the office either. He might not go for designer threads but no one could ever accuse him of being anything but professional in what he wore.

Tony pulled on a pair of black slacks. He selected a white button down shirt. He straightened the collar, smoothing the fabric before slipping the black mother of pearl buttons through their respective holes leaving the top two open. He added a pair of monogrammed cuff links, fixing the cuffs with familiar ease. He pulled on a lightweight black blazer. It would fit comfortably under his longer wool coat. The temperature outside was chilly enough for him to need the added layering. A pair Italian, leather loafers completed his outfit. Checking his appearance in the mirror, Tony smiled at his reflection and nodded to himself deciding, without an overblown sense of pride, he looked good.

Tony casually glanced at his watch. He still had plenty of time before Gibbs was due to arrive--assuming nothing came up at the office. Tony sighed. He wanted to believe Gibbs would not always put the job first, but he couldn't help having doubts. He knew Gibbs meant what he said about wanting this to work between them. In the heat of the moment, most people meant what they said---follow through was a bit harder to pull off.

Gibbs' devotion to duty was one of the things Tony admired the most about him. He didn't want him to stop being a hard ass Marine. But ten days away, with time to think, and Tony knew he didn't want to have an intimate relationship with a man who couldn't be anything but a hard ass.

His relationship with Jeanne, for all about it that he'd enjoyed, was essentially all about work. His time with Terry had been about little more than sex. Tony wanted something that could balance both; a relationship that had what he'd been faking with Jeanne and made up for what was missing with Terry. It was one of the reasons Tony wanted them to take things slow with Gibbs. If Gibbs couldn't or wouldn't change, Tony couldn't and wouldn't stay. He wasn't trading his self respect for an empty promise and a quick fuck.

Just over a day ago he'd made the decision to leave NCIS and Gibbs. He'd come to terms with that choice and what it meant. Changing his mind and opting to stay didn't negate his new found strength and sense of self worth. He felt in control of his own life like he hadn't since he'd first signed on with NCIS.

Tony needed to ask Gibbs what he wanted. It was only fair. Gibbs had asked him last night. And he'd listened to what Tony had to say. Besides, Tony wasn't naive. If he expected Gibbs to give a little, he'd have to do the same.

Tony chewed nervously on his lower lip. Hopefully, Gibbs wouldn't ask for more than he could do. Measuring up to other people's expectations had never been his strong suit. He could count on one hand the number of people who had any faith in him when it came to the stuff that really mattered. Gibbs was one. Pete was another.

Tony shook his head, dismissing his negative thoughts. Abby was always going on about the power of positive thinking. He took a breath. "You are going to ask, DiNozzo. And you will be able to give Gibbs what he wants. You will be able to give him what he needs. This will work."

Tony grimaced, frowning at his reflection. "And if it doesn't, well, Pete said she'd call in a few months. You can tell her yes." He rolled his eyes at himself. "Nothing like hedging your bets, DiNozzo."

Although, he could honestly say hadn't intended to hedge his bets. When he turned Pete down, it was like every other time he'd told her "no"---he meant it. But Tony wasn't entirely surprised that she would tell him she'd keep a position open for him. She'd been offering it to him for three years. It wasn't like she hadn't heard him say "no" before.

"Positive thinking," Tony muttered before straightening his shoulders. He pointed at his reflection. "This is not a gamble. This is a sure thing."

Feeling better, Tony left his bedroom. He searched his DVD collection for a movie that would work as a good distraction. He didn't want anything he'd actually have to concentrate on, but he didn't want Gibbs to show up and find him pacing the floor. An action film would be good---something he could watch without really paying attention and wouldn't make him look like some over anxious teenager waiting for his prom date when Gibbs showed up.

Tony grinned as he pulled out The Transporter. It didn't have much in the way of a plot, but definitely had a few kick-ass choreographed fight scenes. It didn't hurt that Jason Stratham was easy on the eyes. Not really Tony's type, but he could appreciate the aesthetics of the man. Not to mention the grace with which he moved. He certainly made some of the more unbelievable moves in the movie seem less far fetched than Tony knew them to be.

He put the disc in the DVD player and turned on the TV. Tony settled into the recliner. It was his favorite spot to watch TV from. He only used the couch on the rare occasions when he had company. He tried not to think about how little use that piece actually gotten since he bought it two years ago.

Tony did is best to lose himself in the movie. He refused to look at the door, check his cell phone for missed calls, or stare at the clock. He was so successful Tony was genuinely startled by a knock at the door.

He opened the door. Tony smiled as caught Gibbs in the act of running a hand over his hair and adjusting his coat in what were clearly nervous gestures. Tony leaned against the door, feeling more confident seeing his usually unflappable boss fidgeting a bit like a teenager on his first date. He felt like they were on equal footing.

Tony glanced pointedly at his watch, raising both eyebrows. "I think you might just be early."

Gibbs smiled, shrugging one shoulder. "Traffic was light."

Tony chuckled. "You drove on the sidewalk somewhere didn't you?"

"No." Gibbs laughed, blue eyes twinkling. "But I did think about it."

"C'mon in." Tony opened the door wider, stepping back. Gibbs followed him inside.

Tony stepped into his space, arms moving to pull Gibbs even closer. Gibbs obligingly pulled him in as well until they were wrapped up in a loose hug.

"Hey." Tony rested his forehead against Gibbs'.

"Hey, yourself," Gibbs smiled before kissing him gently. Tony sighed, opening his mouth when Gibbs nibbled on his bottom lip, politely asking for entry. He let Gibbs take control of the kiss, enjoying the surprising tenderness with which the older man seemed determined examine every bit of Tony's mouth. Gibbs really was a great kisser.

Not wanting things to get out of hand, Tony pulled back enough to make eye contact, keeping his arms around Gibbs and giving him a warm smile. "I had my tonsils taken out when I was ten. You won't find them, Jethro."

"I don't know about that." Gibbs huffed out a breath in silent laughter. "I'm not through looking."

Tony grinned. "Right. Check and double check."

"Trust but verify," Gibbs grinned back.

"We are still going out for dinner, yes?"

Gibbs took a breath and nodded. It was almost as if he released his hold on Tony in slow motion. Tony forced himself to take a step away, clenching his jaw against any sound of disappointment or expression of loss. They were taking things slow---and Tony knew it was the right thing to do. He sighed silently. Some day he was going to have to ask Ducky if he knew why doing the right thing was always so hard. It seemed like the sort of thing the older man would know. He was a walking encyclopedia when it came to everything else.

Gibbs cleared his throat. "I made reservations for seven thirty."

"I just need to turn of the TV and grab my coat." Tony tossed over his shoulder, already heading back into the living room to turn off the TV and DVD player. He got his long, wool coat from the small closet in the hallway. The temperature outside seemed colder to him since getting back from California. A few days of warm, sunny weather were a stark contrast to the cool, gray skies of early winter in the mid Atlantic region.

He pulled a pair of thin leather gloves out of the pocket. Tony spotted a tag he'd missed earlier, tearing it off and stuffing it into his pocket.

"Did you get a new pair of gloves?" Gibbs asked.

"Yeah." Tony shrugged. He bought them when he' been out earlier. He couldn't find his and it was too cold to go without so he bought a new pair.

"What happened to your old ones?"

"No idea." Tony shook his head. "I'm assuming they are with every other pair I've lost."

"You lose them a lot?"

Tony rolled his eyes. He had no idea how many pairs he'd misplaced he'd lost so many over the years. "If it wouldn't make me look like a dork, I'd pin the suckers to my coat."

Gibbs laughed. "Could get one of those strings that run through the sleeves."

"And you think that would be less dorky?" Tony snorted. "Not in this lifetime."

"So you just keep buying more?"

"Not like they cost a fortune or are in short supply this time of year." Tony nodded toward the door, indicating he was ready to leave. Tony hit the button to lock the door behind them as they left. "And knowing I always need a pair makes them an easy, practical birthday present for Zack to give me."

"Who is Zack?" Gibbs gave him a narrowed eyed look, his tone sharpening. "And why is he buying you presents?"

Tony raised an eyebrow, surprised. Gibbs almost sounded jealous. Not that he had any reason to be. Zack was just a good friend. And not one who was ever interested in being anything more.

"Zack's a frat brother. We've been friends for years, Gibbs. He always sends me something for my birthday."

"You never mentioned him before."

Gibbs' statement almost sounded like an apology or at the very least an effort to explain his earlier tone. Tony nodded, signaling his acceptance of the gesture although he was not sure why the older man might feel either one was required.

"Never came up before, I guess." Tony offered by way of an explanation. In truth, Gibbs had never been interested in his friends. That had been made very clear shortly after Tony started working at NCIS. So he rarely mentioned them directly to the older man.

"Lot of things never came up before, I guess." Gibbs said. He had that look---the one Tony knew indicated Gibbs was upset with himself. There was no need to feel guilty about this. Not like Gibbs had treated him any different than he did the others on the team when it came to this sort of personal information.

"There is an upside." Tony bumped Gibbs' shoulder with his as they walked toward the entrance of his apartment building. Dwelling on the past would not help them move forward.

"Oh?"

"We've got genuine small talk we can make for our first date."

Gibbs chuckled. "That's an upside?"

"It is traditional, you know?" Tony smiled. Not that anything about what they were doing constituted traditional. Two men out on a date wasn't exactly the norm, at least not for the majority of the population. It hadn't even been considered acceptable as a lifestyle choice in modern times until relatively recently.

Gibbs snorted. "Tradition? Right."

Tony lightly bumped Gibbs' shoulder with his again, enjoying the tolerant amusement in the look the older man gave him. "If that doesn't work for you....you could see it another way."

"What way would that be?" Gibbs asked as he held open the front door, letting Tony exit the building before him.

"That after five years of knowing one another, working side by side, there are still things we have to learn about each other."

"Good point." Gibbs gave him a wry smile. "Somehow, I envisioned you asking me things...not the other way around."

"You don't think I have secrets?" Tony raised both eyebrows.

"Not what I meant." Gibbs shook his head. "It just...you aren't quite as closed mouth about things as I've been accused of being."

"You? Tight lipped?" Tony shook his head, eyes twinkling. "Who would say such a thing?"

"Only everyone who's ever met me," Gibbs returned dryly.

Tony laughed quietly. He liked this playful side of Gibbs. He hoped he'd get to see it more often.

"How was work?" Tony asked as he slid into the passenger seat. He got a look from Gibbs. "What?"

"It's weird hearing you ask that."

"Kind of weird asking, now that I think about it." Tony shrugged. Normally, he was there for everything that happened on the job. "I miss anything good?"

Tony listened silently as Gibbs relayed what they'd done while he'd been gone. It was odd to feel so out of the loop. It reminded Tony uncomfortably of things he'd missed while being undercover.

"Just one case?" Tony asked, surprised they hadn't had more in his absence.

"It was slow." Gibbs almost sounded relieved.

Tony wondered about that before it occurred to him Gibbs might have needed a break too. Those four months in Mexico had been some time ago. And Gibbs hadn't taken any more time off than Tony had since then. A slow week was probably something the older man didn't mind having. His theory was neatly shattered by Gibbs' next statement.

"Was damn glad we didn't have more than one case to deal with while you were gone. Took us longer than it should have to pull it all together. Ziva and McGee are good...just not as good as they are with you there."

Tony could feel his face flush. It was decidedly gratifying to know Gibbs thought the team hadn't worked as well without him. Abby mentioned during their phone conversations that Ziva and McGee had missed him as well---but Tony wasn't sure she was right. It was far more likely they missed having him take the blunt of Gibbs' wrath.

"We did work a few cold cases but didn't make much progress with them."

Tony nodded. While he didn't enjoy cold cases, he didn't mind revisiting them now and again. More often than not they were an exercise in futility, but sometimes the passage of time created a better perspective and occasionally they offered insight useful on other cases. If nothing else, Tony found reviewing them to be good incentive to solve active cases quickly. He didn't want the pile of cold cases to get any bigger.

Talking about work lasted until they arrived at a quiet, out of the way Italian restaurant, La Bella Vita. It wasn't one Tony was familiar with, but then he rarely ate out much. More often than not his meals were what Rita left in the fridge, take out or delivery. His recent outings with Jeanne had been to places she knew and enjoyed. And those were relatively safe since it meant Tony didn't have to worry about running into anyone he knew there that could have blown his cover.

Tony looked over the building, deciding he liked architecture. The aged brick made the building look like it had been standing for centuries. Arched windows, the wrought iron details and the heavy oak door added to the overall impression of age. The patio, clearly not in use in the fall and winter looked like it would make a wonderful spot to be during the summer months.

"You come here often?" Tony asked as he got out of the car.

"Never been here before." Gibbs shrugged.

Tony frowned slightly. "You know someone who ate here?"

"No. I checked a restaurant guide." Gibbs looked away, color rising in his cheeks. "I thought you'd like something authentic, and I wanted something...Śwell, not so stuffy or formal...and I didn't know of any place off hand that fit the bill." Gibbs muttered, "I don't eat out a lot. And I didn't know who to ask for a good place without sounding like an idiot."

Tony blinked, taking in the uncharacteristic out pouring of information. He smiled warmly, reaching out to squeeze Gibbs shoulder, trying to put the older man at ease. "Did it get four stars?"

"Five." Gibbs declared, chin coming up.

"Cool." Tony grinned. "Let's see if the guide's stars measure up, shall we?"

Gibbs smiled, the set of his shoulders relaxing as he nodded toward the door. He walked in step with Tony as they entered the restaurant. Tony liked the way Gibbs naturally rested his hand on the small of his back. It felt right to have it there.

The hostess was a young blonde with light blue eyes and a bright smile. Tony returned her friendly greeting with a warm smile of his own, not actively flirting with her, but getting a once over just the same. He ignored the look with practiced ease. Tony had been getting looks like that since he turned sixteen and a growth spurt gave him enough height to look older than he was. He could feel Gibbs stiffen beside him when the hostess gave Tony an openly approving glance as he removed his overcoat. He almost expected to hear the other man growl, or move to put himself between her and Tony.

Tony draped his coat over one arm before shifting his weight, letting his shoulder, arm and hip brush against Gibbs. It was a subtle way of letting Gibbs know he wasn't interested in the young woman, so her interest in him was meaningless. He knew he'd made his point when he felt Gibbs relax and saw him unclench his jaw.

"Did you have reservations?" The hostess asked, glancing down at the book on the small podium in front of her.

"Yes," Gibbs said, "Gibbs. For seven thirty."

She nodded, taking a pencil and checking off the name. She selected two menus. "If you'll follow me."

She led them through the dining area to an empty booth in the far corner. Tony glanced around, noting murals on the walls. They were famous images from well known places in Rome. He was glad they hadn't gone for anything too ornate or flashy. It would have made the place look gaudy rather than classy.

"Would you like anything to drink?" She directed the question at both of them as they took their seats, but her eyes stayed on Tony.

"Dry Martini with a twist," he told her.

"Shaken or stirred?" She asked, giving him a wink.

"Stirred." Despite being a big James Bond fan, Tony didn't like the cloudy look shaking the drink produced.

"Coffee. Black." Gibbs said, cutting off anything else the hostess might have added, his tone suggesting he wanted it now.

She nodded, smile fading. "Your waiter will be with you shortly."

Gibbs shot a dirty look after her. Tony reached across the table to tap him on the wrist.

"I think you need to work on that territorial issue you have, Jethro,"

"Why?" Gibbs asked, sounding unrepentant. "It's already honed to a fine edge."

Tony laughed quietly. "No cutting anyone to ribbons on the first date."

Gibbs raised both eyebrows. "Does that mean it would be okay for every date after?"

Tony snorted. "Only if I get to do the same when some woman gives you the eye."

Gibbs grinned. "Deal."

Tony struggled not to give in and grin back. He opened the menu, glancing over the specials before studying what else they had to offer. He decided on the Carpaccio. He was in the mood for red meat.

"What are you having?" Tony asked Gibbs.

"I'm going to try the chicken scallopine with musrooms. You?"

"Carpaccio."

Gibbs frowned. "What is that?"

"Steak...tenderloin, actually. What makes it special is how they cook it." Tony shrugged one shoulder. "I'll let you try mine and you can see what you think."

It wasn't until Gibbs smiled, blue eyes sparkling with pleasure that Tony realized how intimate his casual offer sounded. He'd never offered to share food with Gibbs before. Tony ducked his head a little to hide the blush he could feel. He was glad the waiter showed up with their drinks and took their order.

"So...what did you do on your vacation?" The question seemed oddly tentative, almost as though Gibbs wasn't sure he should ask or if he wasn't entirely sure he had the right to know.

Tony smiled. He eagerly filled Gibbs in on the sights he'd seen. He tried to relay his awe at the size of the Hoover Dam, his sense of insignificance when confronted with the depth and scope of the Grand Canyon, his amazement at the color and beauty of Death Valley. He talked about enjoying the sun, sand and surf while in California, but didn't mention Terry. Terry was definitely not something Gibbs needed to know about. Nor was Terry someone Tony wanted to dwell on. Time spent with him had been a lot of fun, and it gave Tony something he needed at the time, but that was all.

To his surprised delight, Gibbs told him about places he'd been. Most were trips made while in the Marine Corps and not for pleasure, but it was still fun to hear about things the older man had seen. They traded stories, sharing their experiences with astonishing ease. Their conversation lasted through the arrival of their salad and well after dessert.

Tony absently noticed that the dinner rush had left some time ago, and while they weren't the only ones left, they weren't far from it. He sighed. As much as he was enjoying himself, they really should leave.

"You ready to go?"

Gibbs shook his head. "Don't really want this to be over."

He felt a rush of warmth in his chest hearing Gibbs say what he was thinking. Tony dropped his gaze, suddenly shy in the face of the older man's simple declaration.

"Not like we can't do this again," he finally offered.

"Many, many times, I hope."

"Me too." Tony looked up and smiled. "But for now...we both have to be to work tomorrow and the staff here would probably like to go home tonight."

Gibbs nodded. He signaled the waiter for the check. Tony tried to pay his half, but Gibbs stopped him with a look.

Leaving the restaurant, Tony waited until they were in the car before taking Gibbs' hand. He was unsure if the older man would feel comfortable with a public display of affection, even one so innocuous with so few people to witness it. He smiled when Gibbs entwined their fingers. He liked how well their hands fit together. Gibbs hands were almost the same size as Tony's. Most women's hands were dwarfed by his, and Tony couldn't honestly say he'd held a man's hand for anything more than a polite handshake. This was...nice.

"Do you need a ride to work tomorrow?" Gibbs asked, heading for Tony's place.

Tony was sorely tempted to say yes, but decided against it. He might need time in the morning to put his "game face" on and not act any differently in front of the others. McGee and Ziva didn't know about the job offer and he didn't want them to know. Ducky might know, but the ME could be relied on not to bring it up if Tony didn't mention it. Abby didn't know how close he'd come to taken Pete up on her offer...and it was probably best if Abby didn't find out.

And Tony didn't want any of them to know he and Gibbs were a couple until he was sure they could go the distance as one. So far, they'd admitted to caring about one another and had one date. It was a good start, but Tony wasn't sure how well either of them would hold up in the face of opposition from their teammates. Or even their support---because Tony knew it would come with expectations they might not be able to live up to, questions they might not want to answer, and assumptions they might not be able to change. Those things would be a lot easier to face if they were sure of each other first.

"I picked up a rental today so I'm good." He squeezed Gibbs' hand. "Thanks for asking."

Gibbs nodded, silently accepting his answer. The silence lasted until they were back at Tony's apartment. It wasn't uncomfortable or awkward. Tony realized it wouldn't take much for him to get used to being with someone who didn't need him to be "on" all the time.

When Gibbs pulled into the lot at Tony's place, Tony released Gibbs' hand so he could park the car, but he halted his reach to turn it off. Gibbs shot him a questioning look.

"If I ask you to come up, I'm not sure I could let you leave."

Gibbs smile was a little sheepish. "Not sure I'd be willing to go."

"I'll see you tomorrow."

"Tomorrow." Gibbs made it sound like a promise.

Tony leaned over and kissed him. Unlike the earlier kiss, Tony didn't relinquish control. This time, Tony was the one exploring. He reveled in the freedom Gibbs gave him. He nibbled on Gibbs' lower lip, tugging on the tender flesh just enough to make the other man hiss in surprised pleasure. He caressed the roof of Gibbs' mouth, swallowing the moan he got in response. He stole Gibbs' breath before giving it back to him.

Tony shivered when he pulled away, hands curling into fists to keep from reaching out and clutching Gibbs to him. He took a shuddering breath, letting it out slowly.

"Kind of glad we aren't near any flat surfaces," Tony whispered.

Gibbs laughed, his hand reaching out to curl around the back of Tony's neck and squeeze gently. "Not too late to change your mind about inviting me in."

Tony shook his head. "I've heard anticipation makes it better," Tony licked his lips, giving Gibbs a deliberate lascivious look.

Gibbs swallowed hard. "Tease."

"For now." Tony smiled. He cupped Gibbs' face with both hands, giving him a quick, playful kiss on the tip of his nose.

"I had a good time tonight."

"So did I." Gibbs smiled. "You want to do it again tomorrow?"

"I'd like that." Tony gave him a shy smile before getting out of the car. "Good night, Jethro."

"Tony?"

"Yeah," he turned around, leaning in to see what Gibbs wanted.

Gibbs handed him the gloves he'd left lying on the seat. "You might need these tomorrow."

"I might at that." Tony grinned. "Be careful going home."

"I will."

Tony didn't need to look over his shoulder to know Gibbs was watching him cross the lot. He turned back at the entrance and waved, getting a wave in return. It would be so easy to just go back and ask Gibbs to come up. A cup of coffee, maybe watch a movie, maybe...Tony shook his head. He took the stairs up to his apartment two at a time. A cold shower suddenly sounded like a damn good idea.