- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
More of McGee's thoughts now that Tony's back at work.
McGee grimaced as he reviewed yet another form he hadn't known existed three weeks ago. He glanced at his watch, sighing softly. McGee had started coming in early to get the paperwork finished before the start of the day.

He'd been stunned when Tony told him he did the same thing when the task had been first assigned to him. It had been reassuring when Tony told him that once he got the hang of it, McGee should be able to cut back coming in early to just one or two days a week. Tony had, naturally, burst his bubble by telling him it would take months to get to that point.

Or it would...without help. McGee glanced at his watch again. It would be at least another fifteen minutes before Tony came in. Tony had agreed to review McGee's work, not fixing the errors, but letting him know what needed to be redone or had to be added. It was far better than getting it back from Marisol with a "denied" stamp on it. It made McGee feel like he had when he was in grade school when Mrs. Madison would write on his essays with red marker.

Marisol had warmed to him slightly when Tony came back. McGee knew Tony had said something to her. But when he asked, McGee was torn between embarrassed and pissed when he found out what.

"I told her you're a probie." Tony had told him. "Gibbs assigned you the job while I was out. He didn't explain why or what you were expected to do. I asked her to cut you some slack because you didn't know any better."

"Tony, I'm not a probie." McGee had ground out between clenched teeth. He didn't honestly mind having Tony call him "probie", but he didn't want other people doing it. He hadn't officially been a probationary agent for nearly two years. "And I'm not stupid." He knew that was more likely what Tony had implied with his "didn't know any better" comment. Assuming he'd even used those words.

Tony had arched an eyebrow. "You'd rather she thought you demeaned her and her job on purpose? That you were filling out the wrong forms on purpose or half assed filling out the right ones because you were an asshole trying to make her job more difficult?"

McGee had flushed then. Tony had a point. And it wasn't exactly a lie. He was new to this aspect of the job, and Gibbs had just assigned it to him without any explanation. It wasn't until Tony came back McGee found out that the paperwork had been done before he left---Tony hadn't screwed up, Gibbs had lost it.

"He does that...a lot," Tony had told McGee, shrugging casually. "You want to do everything in triplicate. One copy you give to Marisol, one you give to Gibbs, and one you keep."

"Why give her a copy?" McGee had frowned. He knew first hand she wouldn't accept the forms without all the I's dotted, T's crossed and proper signatures on the correct lines.

"Because I've lost mine once or twice." Tony had grimaced, shaking his head. "Marisol has never, ever misplaced anything that I'm aware of. Giving her stuff is better than putting it in Fort Knox."

"Does Gibbs know you give her copies?"

"Yeah."

"Why did he make me do it if all he had to do was ask her for the copies you left with her?"

Tony had smiled. "You'd have to ask him."

The way Tony's eyes had sparkled with amusement when he said that made McGee wonder if the other man didn't already know the answer; he just wasn't willing to share. There was no way in hell would McGee be asking the Boss why he hadn't asked Marisol for replacement copies rather than assign the job of redoing them to McGee. He was afraid if he did, Gibbs would find even more stuff for him to do in retaliation.

With the job assigned to him for the foreseeable future, McGee had taken Tony's suggestion for getting in Marisol's good graces. He secured a new computer and monitor for her. She still gave him a dark, suspicious looks when he stopped by her office, but at leas she wasn't openly hostile. McGee noticed a fresh arrangement of flowers were on her desk the other day. He suspected they were more likely the cause of her being more tolerant of him than the new equipment. He hoped whoever gave them to her kept sending them.

McGee shook his head, eyes roaming around the empty bull pen. He smiled to himself as he spotted the football helmet he and Ziva had given Tony when he'd come back from vacation two weeks ago. McGee had made sure it was Ohio State colors and the number Tony had in college. Tony had seemed genuinely touched they'd gotten him a welcome back gift, laughing when Ziva suggested he might need it to protect him from Gibbs. Tony had put the helmet on display on the filing cabinet near his desk.

A small jar of dark chocolate Hershey kisses had some how found its way underneath the helmet, appearing a day or two after they'd given it to Tony. McGee didn't know where it had come from. He hadn't even realized Tony liked dark chocolate. The way Tony smiled when he found them made it obvious he hadn't put them there. McGee thought it might have been Ziva, but she looked as curious about them as McGee, so he ruled her out. Abby would have been a logical choice, but had already given Tony half a dozen black roses. And food wasn't usually her sort of gift...at least not as far as McGee knew.

McGee opened a window on his computer to the updated movie trivia game he'd given Tony. Tony had been thrilled with the game, setting a new high score for the office that so far no one had even come close to. McGee checked his own score, glaring at the screen when he saw he wasn't even in the top ten.

McGee figured Gibbs letting Tony play it uninterrupted for more than an hour the day he got it was proof the older man missed him too. Although, if they'd had a hot case, McGee was pretty sure Tony would have needed to use the helmet.

Or maybe not, McGee thought as he eyed Gibbs' empty desk. Since Tony got back the former Marine had been a little less free with the head slaps. McGee knew it could just be his perception---that Gibbs only seemed freer with the slaps in Tony's absence because McGee was getting more hits than he was used to and with Tony back he was getting fewer. He'd taken to counting them to confirm his impression. The results were inconclusive. McGee thought he might need more time than two weeks to really get say anything definitive.

Even without any firm proof on the head slaps, McGee knew Gibbs was definitely not as...cranky? No, pissy was a better adjective, he decided. McGee wasn't sure why Gibbs' overall demeanor had improved. He was just relieved it had.

McGee pursed his lips, mentally weighing the possibilities. Maybe it was because the team was functioning the way it should. They'd closed two cases with relative ease within a few days of Tony getting back and had put a third to bed yesterday. Everything moved smoother with Tony around to carry part of the load. McGee had a new appreciation for the other man's insights and experience. And while he'd never say it out loud he missed hearing Tony tease Ziva about her English, making movie references, the many different variation of his surname and "probie" Tony came up with to address him, and just keeping the tension level from getting out of hand.

Gibbs' improved mood could be because the Director hadn't been by to bother them lately. No interference with their cases, no unwanted and unwarranted input, no checking up on their progress, and no secret vendettas for them to be drawn into. It was a relief to McGee, but he had no idea if Gibbs felt the same way.

It could be that the cold snap they'd gotten had let up a bit and Gibbs was enjoying the slightly warmer weather. Abby said he had a knee that bothered him when it got cold. McGee knew a lot of old....well, older people experienced joint pain in the winter. It was one reason so many moved to more mild climates.

Maybe it was just because Gibbs missed Tony and was glad he was back. McGee snorted at that thought. It was hard to imagine the gruff, hard ass Marine being upset over someone he worked with being gone for ten days---he probably would when it came to Abby, but she was an exception to nearly ever rule.

Gibbs had been surprising silent on Tony going over his head to get approval for his time off. He could have taken Tony to task in private, but McGee doubted that. Gibbs' usually MO was to dress him down in front of the team to make sure everyone else got the point too. Maybe he thought everyone had already gotten the point by overhearing the shouting match he'd gotten into with Sheppard the day Tony left.

It could be that Gibbs realized Tony needed the time off. He'd been looking ragged around the edges before he left. Working a full time job and being undercover was no picnic, especially not in light of how the case ended.

McGee nodded to himself. The time away had definitely been good for Tony. He had come back more relaxed than McGee could remember seeing him in a long time. He hadn't said much about where he'd gone or what he'd done, but his tan and the lighter streaks in his hair made it apparent he'd gone somewhere warm and sunny enough to spend a lot of time outdoors. The print he'd sent Abby implied Tony had been to Nevada, but McGee wasn't entirely sure of that. It could have just been something he got because it was so perfect for her.

Tony hadn't said what became of the Ferrari. In fact, he never even mentioned the car, which still struck McGee as strange. It seemed like the sort of thing Tony would spend hours bragging about. Office gossip was rife with ideas, each one crazier than the next.

The latest one worried McGee the most---the car had been part of some secret assignment Tony had been on for the Director. He really didn't want that to be true because it meant Tony had looked him right in the eye and lied to him about not going undercover. It meant Tony could be involved in something the rest of the team wasn't a part of. McGee hated the idea they might have been left in the dark---again. Although, if Gibbs knew, it could explain why he hadn't jumped all over Tony for leaving the way he had.

"Morning, Probster."

McGee jerked back from his computer, startled from his thoughts by Tony's greeting. "Morning, Tony."

He watched Tony shed his heavy overcoat and scarf. It was more mild outside than it had been, but it wasn't what most would consider warm. McGee wasn't surprised to see Tony was wearing a turtle neck and a sweater. He'd noticed that since having the plague Tony tended to wear more layers. McGee had never mustered the courage to ask if Tony felt the cold more or if he was simply trying to stave off getting any sort of lung ailment by making sure he didn't get chilled. Ducky had said Tony would be more susceptible to things like bronchitis and pneumonia. It didn't hurt to be careful.

"You got anything for me today?" Tony asked, sitting down at his desk.

McGee nodded, getting up to bring the forms he'd completed over to Tony. He handed them to Tony, waiting while the other man reviewed them. Hopefully, this time he'd have everything right. It would be a first if he did.

McGee frowned when he noticed a small mark just barely visible on the side of Tony's neck, peeking out from the edge of his collar. It didn't look like a bruise...not exactly anyway.

"Is that a hickey?" McGee asked, reaching out to touch Tony"s neck.

Tony blocked his hand without looking, his focus still on the paperwork in front of him. "Do not touch me, Probie."

McGee scowled. Tony never saw anything wrong with invading his personal space, but definitely drew a firm line on having McGee invade his. Ziva wasn't welcome to do it either, although, in her case McGee could totally understand. There were times he was uncomfortable having someone so close who was that proud of her ability to be lethal.

"You have a mark on your neck." McGee shifted trying to get a better look. Unfortunately, moving Tony's turtleneck would be the only way to get a clear view of it. "It looks like a hickey."

"You're missing form N1 dash 83 slash B point 2. You've only got N1 dash 83 slash B point 1 here." Tony said, obviously ignoring McGee's comment. He tried to hand the forms back. "You'll want to fill that out before you submit these or you'll have to do it all over again."

McGee hesitated, not taking the paper Tony held out to him. "You didn't answer my question."

"No, I didn't."

"C'mon Tony...you went out last night. Admit it." There was a time when McGee wouldn't have had to even ask. It used to be Tony never shut up about his dating habits and the ladies he spent the evening with. But it had been some time since he did that. Looking back on it, McGee realized it had been about the same time Tony had taken over the team when Gibbs had been in Mexico.

"You're back in the saddle." McGee smiled, gleeful. This could mean Tony was back to his usual self. During and after his undercover stint, he'd been almost subdued when it came to women. McGee never thought he'd miss watching Tony flirt shamelessly with any woman with a pulse, but he hated knowing the other man had stopped doing it because of a case the rest of the team had known nothing about.

It was only dumb luck that Tony hadn't been in his car when the bomb went off. McGee hadn't much liked the idea that a friend and teammate could have been killed working a case without adequate back up. He still had nightmares about seeing the charred body he thought was Tony in the wreckage of his car.

"And if I did go out?" Tony looked at him, expression closed. "What of it?"

McGee's smile faltered. "It's just...after Jeanne", he cleared his throat. "You haven't been dating much lately."

Tony arched an eyebrow; his chilly gaze making McGee wish he was wearing a coat. "Keeping tabs on me, are you?"

"N-n-no." McGee shook his head, knowing he was on dangerous ground. "But you haven't mentioned going out for awhile. It's not like you."

Even Ziva had noticed Tony hadn't been acting like an oversexed frat boy. It was part of the reason why she'd been so sure he had a girlfriend before they'd found out about Jeanne. And she'd even tried to help him get over losing Jeanne---in her own way. Not that she'd been terribly successful, but McGee figured she didn't have any more experience with healing someone else's broken heart than he had.

"I thought you weren't interested in my personal life, McGoo." Tony smirked, eyes still icy. "Or so you've said many, many times. You have a sudden change of heart?"

"No." McGee straightened his shoulders, glaring at Tony. "But you were mum about La Grenouille and Jeanne Benoit. You were gone for a week before you started that case too." Officially Tony was in Europe for some sort of training, but looking back on it McGee had no doubt that was the start of his undercover assignment. "And now you aren't talking about this new girlfriend."

"I never said I had a girlfriend."

"You've got a hickey." McGee waved a hand in frustration. "You aren't staying late or coming in the wee hours of the morning." Routine reviews of the security footage to check the latest upgrade to the system had shown Tony leaving with the rest of the team and staying gone. It was unusual enough that Abby commented on it, bringing it to McGee's attention just the other day. "You didn't even give that exotic dancer on our last case more than a second look."

Tony rolled his eyes. "And you think that's proof I'm holding out on you?"

"Are you?"

Tony's jaw tightened. "You saying you don't trust me?"

"No!" McGee hissed. "I'm saying you didn't have good back up the last time the Director sent you under and we ended up thinking you died, damn it. I don't want to do that again. I don't even need the specifics," McGee offered, lowering is voice even though there was no one nearby to hear him, "but if you need help, I need to know so I can help. You shouldn't have been under without more back up the last time, and I'm not going to let you go without this time."

Tony smiled, eyes warming to a moss green. "You are a good guy, Tim."

McGee blinked. He could count on one hand the number of times Tony had used his first name. And that compliment was not quite a first, but not far from it.

Tony patted him on the arm, before once more offering back to him the forms he'd ignored earlier. "I told you I'm not working undercover any more."

"Promise?" McGee winced at how juvenile he sounded, but he wasn't backing down.

"I am not working undercover." Tony stated firmly. He studied McGee for a moment, and then gave him an approving look. It always seemed strange to McGee how much it meant to him to know he'd done something which made Tony proud. It shouldn't matter to him---but it did.

"I might consider taking an undercover assignment in the future, if Gibbs asked me to and the rest of the team was in on it." Tony sighed, shaking his head. "Even then I'd have to think twice before I agreed."

McGee nodded, taking the forms. "So you are dating then?"

Tony smirked. "Persistent aren't you?"

"I'm learning how to be."

"Good for you."

McGee heard the dismissal in that statement but choose to ignore it. "So...€'mon...are you dating again or not?"

Tony laughed softly. "I am seeing someone."

"I knew it." McGee almost pumped his fist in the air.

Tony held up a hand, stopping McGee before he could ask his next question. "As part of what Ziva thinks is proof of my new maturity, I'm not talking about my relationship until I'm sure it's going to become something that warrants talking about."

"Do you want it to be?" McGee asked, curiosity getting the better of him in spite of Tony's clear reluctance to say much about his mystery date. He had been so sure Tony was commitment phobic. It was hard to imagine him wanting something long term---but then he'd fallen hard for Jeanne and that wasn't something McGee had expected either.

"Yeah, I do." Tony's smile wasn't one McGee could remember seeing before. It was warm, soft, and clearly not something Tony was even aware he was doing. "I'd like for it to be a lot more."

"No reason it can't be,"McGee offered, thinking he should say something encouraging.

Tony's expression turned rueful. "I don't exactly have a good track record with that sort of thing so I'm opting for---cautiously optimistic."

McGee raised both eyebrows. "Like if you don't say anything you won't jinx it?"

Tony dipped his head in an abbreviated nod. "Something like that."

McGee could understand not wanting to say too much too soon about a burgeoning romance. Having had his own romantic debacles, he knew first hand it was better not to have an audience. Especially in front of a group which might not be all that sympathetic. He felt a bit embarrassed over how he'd dismissed Tony's feelings for Jeanne. He'd initially acted as though the only one hurt by Tony's secrecy and obligation to lie had been the team, completely overlooking what it might have been like for Tony.

It was no real consolation knowing he hadn't behaved much differently than Gibbs or Ziva. If anything that thought made McGee feel worse because at least Ziva had made an effort to make amends, and Gibbs clearly wasn’t a touchy feely sort so no one expected him to actually act like he gave a damn. For as much as McGee admired Gibbs, he really didn't want to come across as a bastard the way Gibbs took pride in doing.

And McGee had outright ignored how Tony might have felt about Paula's death. Even if he hadn't loved Paula, Tony had been friends with her---friends with benefits. Her death had to have been difficult. But Tony had never mentioned it, and McGee was suddenly ashamed that it never occurred to him to ask. He certainly hadn’t behaved like a friend Tony might want to share a new romantic interest with---certainly not one he was serious about.

There wasn't anything he could do about what had happened. But he could at least make sure it didn't happen again. "I won't tell anyone." McGee promised.

"I appreciate that." Tony's eyes darted toward Zivaâ's desk. "Last thing I want is for little miss super spy to make a habit of following me into the men's room to talk about my feelings."

"I hear you." McGee laughed. One experience in the rest room with her was more than enough to convince McGee he never wanted another.

Anything else he might have said was stopped short by Gibbs appearing around the partition, coffee mug in hand. McGee thought it must have been his imagination that the former Marine almost looked happy, like he might have been smiling a moment ago or might smile any minute. Not wanting to ruin the man's good mood, assuming he was in a good mood, McGee immediately headed for his desk. It never hurt to look busy.

"Morning, Boss," McGee said as he sat down at his desk trying to remember what form Tony told him he needed to add.

"McGee." Gibbs responded in his usual level tone fashion.

"Good morning, Gibbs." Tony smiled brightly at the older man.

To McGee's surprise, Gibbs smiled back. "Good morning, Tony."

Maybe Gibbs really was in a good mood. That was...new. McGee wondered is he should be on the look out for the four horsemen. Gibbs smiling for no apparent reason had to a sign something apocalyptic was about to happen.

McGee glanced toward Tony, wondering what he made of the older man's odd behavior. He got a shrug in return before Tony started his computer and got to work.

"You done with that paperwork yet, McGee?" Gibbs asked sounding impatient.

"I'll have it for you in ten, Boss." McGee was relieved when his interoffice e-mail chirped and he saw the message was from Tony. The message told him what form he was missing and included a link to the online forms directory that would give him what he needed.

McGee sent back a quick 'thank you'. He very glad Tony was back. McGee really didn't want to imagine what the job would be like without him. He'd barely made ten days as Gibbs' second in command. McGee wasn't sure but he thought more than that might just kill him.

Better not to risk it, McGee decided. He made a mental note to make sure he got more candy for the jar under Tony's helmet. If flowers made Marisol happy...maybe candy would do the same for Tony. It was worth a shot...just in case the helmet, the game, and their recent conversations weren't enough to make it clear he liked Tony and appreciated him. And as Abby was fond of telling him, it was the little things that counted the most.