- Text Size +
---------------

Tony had a hard time sleeping after his brain had put everything together. And he woke in a start long before his alarm rang from a dream that left him even more confused.

He was in his apartment and the doorbell rang, answering it he found the delivery guy from his favorite Italian place standing there with a big bag. He brought it into the kitchen and started pulling out a couple of pasta dinners and salads. He was digging out plates from the cupboard when he felt soft lips gently brush the back of his neck and strong arms slip around his waist. He turned in the embrace to see a playful grin and Gibbs’ blue eyes looking back at him...

Tony had awoken gasping for air, the dream had been vividly real. He couldn’t shake the sensations and emotion from the dream and in reality wasn’t sure he wanted to. There was almost an electric current passing between them where Gibbs had touched him and even now, awake, he would swear that he could still feel the tingling on his neck from the kiss. But it was the emotional remnant that was making his mind whirl. There had been such a feeling of security and comfort and belonging. All of the things that he hated to admit to himself that he secretly craved and had never had.

He tried to figure out what it all meant. He had spent the last thirty-odd years as a ladies man, one bad breakup and suddenly he was gay? He hopped in the shower trying to wake up and thought more about it all. He tried visualizing some other guy in Gibbs’ place in the dream and shivered, and not in a good way.

He gently banged his head against the tile as he realized that he wasn’t gay, he just wanted Gibbs. And he didn’t know if that were better or worse.

---------------

He paused before knocking on Gibbs’ door promptly at seven. He just hoped that the couple of hours he had been up was enough time to erase the evidence of the dream from his face. Tony finally let out a deep breath and knocked.

Gibbs opened the door with a grin, “I was expecting to have to wake you up. Come on in, coffee’s hot.”

Tony stepped inside and set his bag on the bed next to Gibbs’ and went over to the little coffee pot. The motel provided some foam cups and little packets of sugar and powdered creamer, although Tony had learned a long time ago to avoid the powdered creamer. As long as he could add some sugar he could drink black coffee. With cup in hand he turned back to see Gibbs sitting at the little round table in the corner with his own coffee enjoying the gentle morning sun filtering in through the sheer curtains. Tony noticed that Gibbs seemed very relaxed, he hadn’t even put his boots on yet and was walking around in his sock feet.

Tony need to start some sort of conversation, something light, because his brain just wasn’t up for anything heavy quite yet, “I’ve forgotten how quiet it is out in the Boondocks, no traffic, just crickets. I almost had to put the t.v. on to sleep.”

Gibbs chuckled, “Yeah, but if you really want quiet a friend of mine has a cabin in Minnesota that you can’t beat. The nights up there are so quiet all you can hear are the mosquitoes buzzing.”

“I’m not a big fan of mosquitoes, Boss. But a cabin sounds nice though. Some place to escape to for a while.”

“I’d of thought a house on the beach would be more your style.”
It was Tony’s turn to chuckle, “Gee, sand, sun, surf. I could force myself.”

“Add beer and you got Mike Frank’s house in Baja.”

They never really talked about that, about the time when Gibbs had left. Now in retrospect he understood why Gibbs had to get away but at the time it had hurt. He had felt abandoned again, and he hadn’t realized how big a part Gibbs had played in all their lives until he was gone. Not really wanting to acknowledge or broach that particular sore subject this morning Tony simply smiled and nodded over his coffee.

Gibbs put his coffee down and leaned over to grab his boots. He sighed looking at them then looked up at Tony and groused, “I hate new boots.” Then he did something that almost had Tony in stitches, he made a face at the boots and sat there wiggling his sock-clad toes instead of putting them on. Tony finally couldn’t contain it and a snort of laughter escaped. No one saw Gibbs this way, ever.

---------------

They checked out of the motel and headed into town for breakfast at the local diner before going to interview their last witnesses.

The Harrisons owned a small farm about a half hour outside of town. The local sheriff had sort of rolled his eyes up when he told Gibbs and Tony about them. His opinion of them wasn’t very high, but he wouldn’t say why, he wanted the agents to form their own opinion.

The scenic ride out to the farm was pleasant and Gibbs surprised Tony yet again by slipping a cd into the car stereo that turned out to be Sinatra. He even caught Gibbs tapping his fingers along with the music a couple of times.

He was just wondering if he should have Ducky take a look at Gibbs and check for a head injury when they pulled into the driveway of the farm.

The sound of barking dogs, a lot of barking dogs, assaulted their ears as they got out of the car. The two agents shared a look and proceeded cautiously. A pleasant looking middle-aged
woman in jeans came out to greet them.

Mrs. Harrison invited them inside and were soon joined by Mr. Harrison coming in the back door. A tall thin man, he had a rough edge to him, but his demeanor was friendly. And Gibbs wondered where exactly the sheriff’s attitude came from.

The Harrisons were dog breeders. They had moved from the city four years ago and bought and converted the small farm. It turns out that the reason the two dead men had been in town was to select a puppy. Mr. Harrison gave them a tour of the kennel out back and it was impressive. A beautiful, well lit building that was so clean it would meet a drill instructor’s standard. There was a sitting area where prospective buyers could meet and interact with puppies, and the walls were covered with photos, medals and trophies from dog shows that the Harrisons had participated in. They raised boxers and Dalmatians. The dogs themselves were beautiful and very friendly. It was obvious that they were well cared for and again Gibbs wondered why the sheriff didn’t like them.

Mrs. Harrison poured coffee for the men and offered, “They are such nice young men. Very friendly. They said they couldn’t decide and were going to sleep on it and come back today. They make a nice couple.” She sipped her coffee not realizing the bombshell that she had just dropped.

Gibbs and Tony exchanged a look but didn’t say anything.

Mr. Harrison looked at his watch and excused himself; he came back in the house a few minutes later with a pup in hand. He put it down and it ran over to greet the two strangers like they were long lost friends. Oddly it wasn’t Gibbs that the pup gravitated towards, like most, well all other dogs normally did. This pup liked Tony.

The little boxer was snow white with huge paws and a tongue that seemed to come all the way from his little nubbie of a tail. Tony laughed as the little thing growled and chewed on his fingers. He wrestled gently with the pup for a few minutes unaware that Gibbs was watching him. Mrs. Harrison was also watching, watching Gibbs watch Tony with a softness in his eyes that she had seen yesterday in the young Marine and his partner.

Mr. Harrison had picked up his keys, “If there’s nothing else you gentlemen need, I have an appointment with the vet.”

Tony looked up from where he was stroking the little white head, “Is he sick?”

Mr. Harrison looked decidedly uncomfortable and didn’t answer, Mrs. Harrison took the initiative and answered Tony honestly, “We haven’t been able to find a home for him and he’s being euthanized.”

“But why? He’s friendly enough. I don’t understand.” He scooped up the pup and held him protectively.

“White boxers don’t conform to recognized standards and this little one is not only white, but is deaf as well. I just haven’t been able to find anyone to take him.”

“So he just gets put down because he’s deaf?”

Mr. Harrison spoke up quietly, “It’s part of being a breeder. We don’t like it but we do what we have to do.”

Gibbs was about to speak up and say something when Tony blurted out, “I’ll take him.”

---------------
tbc...