- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Interesting things can happen when you start seeing someone in a whole new way.

Written for the NFA “The Playboy, The Goth & The Geek” Challenge.
Title: In A Whole New Way
Author: CJ aka WritinginCT
Fandom: NCIS
Pairing: Abby/DiNozzo
Rating: PG-13
Warnings: None
Categories: Romance, Angst
Feedback: Love it? Hate it? Want to offer me a book deal to write original fiction? Email me!
Disclaimer: I don’t own the recognizable characters I’m just inspired by them. Hopefully they’ve had fun playing in my sandbox.
Summary: Interesting things can happen when you start seeing someone in a whole new way. Abby/DiNozzo Written for the NFA “The Playboy, The Goth & The Geek” Challenge.
Status: WIP

---------------

Abby made her way into her lab alerting all of her equipment that she was there and that they all needed to wake up, they had work to do. She dropped her coat and purse on her desk chair and flipped on her computer monitor. It took her a second to register that there was something lying on her keyboard. A flower, more specifically a beautiful blushing cream colored rose. There was a little folded paper tucked into the keys next to it. Printed in a beautiful archaic font was a poem,

“The red rose whispers of passion, And the white rose breathes of love;
Oh, the red rose is a falcon, And the white rose is a dove.
But I send you a cream-white rosebud, With a flush on its petal tips;
For the love that is purest and sweetest Has a kiss of desire on the lips.
-John Boyle O'Reilly “


She smiled as she teased her nose with the rose as she read and reread the beautiful words. This was the latest in a series of incredibly sweet, romantic surprises that had been left for her. They had started appearing about two weeks after they got back from Kate’s funeral.

The first one was a bar of decadent Swiss chocolate left on her lab table with a simple unsigned note, “A sweet for someone sweet.”

It was a silly, sweet gesture that made her smile. And at the time she had desperately needed things to smile about through her grief. What bothered her was that she didn’t know who left it. Gibbs? Ducky? McGee? She could have peeked on the security tape to see who had done it or lifted fingerprints from the candy’s glossy wrapper, but she didn’t. It would have just taken away from the moment. Instead she just carefully saved the wrapper and the note in her desk drawer.

She never knew what she was going to find. Sometimes it was candy, or weird little stuffed animals. She laughed hardest at a little vampire coloring book and crayons left in the ballistics lab. And she adored the travel guide to the most haunted places in the country. Whoever her little gift giver was he knew her well.

But today as she read the poem she realized that the tone was changing. Normally the notes were light hearted, sometimes just little jokes or silly rhymes. But this was more, it was deeper. And it brought a flush to her cheeks as she tried to picture herself with any of the likely perpetrators. It really wasn’t Gibbs’ style; he was more direct. He was more likely to give her a Caf-Pow with an “I Love You” straw in it for Valentine’s Day than leave roses and poetry. She could picture Ducky being this sweet and romantic but she couldn’t picture him buying some of the sillier items. That really only left McGee or Tony and it really could be either of them. They both knew her well enough to know what she would like, and neither would think twice about buying some of the gifts. Although, she had to admit, she just couldn’t picture McGee buying the coloring book.

She gave the poem a final glance and tucked it away in the drawer with the rest of her memento’s. The rose was going to spend the day in a tall graduated cylinder on her desk.

Gibbs was the only one to comment on the flower as he teased, “Did I forget something, Abs?”

Her smile was wide as she looked at the rose, “Nope. It was just a surprise from my secret admirer.”

Seeing how happy she was about the whole thing he smirked and was about to tease her when Tony walked in.

Abby gave him a big smile, “Hey, Tony.”

He handed her a little paper bag, “Sorry no sprinkles today, but I figured a chocolate iced donut would be a close second.”

She opened the bag and inhaled in the scent of the donut, “You know me so well.”

He turned to leave and nonchalantly mentioned, “Nice rose, Abs.”

---------------
Tbc... feedback always appreciated!!