- Text Size +
Chapter 12

There were a few things in life that Tony would take to his grave. This was one of them. And for some inexplicable reason it was fitting. Tought, not one membrer of his team would agreed to it, what was probably a good thing he had sneaked out of the hospital without telling anyone.

Gibbs had just left for his moring PT session scorted by Ducky when he read the news on the paper that someone had left over his bed. It was no bigger then a foot note, but he knew he had to do it and no amount of threating, bribing or whining would help. So he left a note on Gibbs bed telling he had an important apointment and left the hospital by the service door. It only took him a phone call to get a ride to his current location and some unexpected phisical effort to find the exact spot, but here he was, out of breath, out of his mind, in a soon to be world of trouble with Gibbs, but facing the Atwood's grave site.

He supposed he needed some sort of closure and his team members â€" with all their fussing - couldn't provide him that. Their perspective was different. Hell... he had no perspective of things. At least, not this time...

He shivered remembering his last concious thoughts before the drug Mrs. Atwood injected him knocked him out for good: his body went numb and he bareally could speak, but nightmares would never let him forgot the woman's glassed eyes looking at him, telling him that they would be a family now and that no one would tear them apart. Apart from that, he had no recollection from the time he was under the Atwood's care, wich disturbed him in more ways that he could count. He had slept to wake up in a hospital bed, alongside a grouching and recovering Gibbs.

“It figures... only a psico would want me as a son...” His self-deprecating thought reached a stunning halt with a rapid series of head slaps raining on his head.

“What. The Hell. were you thinking, Dinozzo??? Do you have any idea what this little escaped of your caused? I had to stop Abby from calling the FBI again!” He yelled while he moved to stand in front of the younger man to better access his phisical and â€" more important â€" mental condition. He had noticed how Tony seamed less talkative since he was told what had happened since his kidnapping untill his rescue by Gibbs. His mood only got worse when he was told that Robert Atwood had sacrificed his life revealling his location and how Gibbs got shot in sholder.

He had waited for Tony to open up on the subject, but it got him nothing. Not even Abby managed to get him out of “dark place” as the Goth called it. He would probably waited a little longer if he hadn't hear what the young italian said about himself. That sort of thing called for action! “I want straight answers Dinozzo!”

“Boss, I... I don't know... I...” Tony stammered, a multitude of thoughts crossing his mind.

Gibbs gentled down his tone “What you don't know Tony?”

“Why? He lost his life and...” a single tear slipped unnoticed by him “It was a nice family, boss... I... why my father... Why wouldn't he...”

Gibbs saved him from keep going by getting his hand on Tony's neck and pulling him closer. He hugged the younger man he loved like a son. “I don't have any answers on your father Tony, but you get this straight: they were not your family, they never were... We got you first, get it?”

Tony lifted his head to look Gibbs in his eyes, he needed this, to understand that he hadn't lost someting he thought he never had. He took a long breath an noded his head “Got it, boss.”

“Good! Now, you are on your own.” Gibbs declared while stepping out a little.

Stunned, Tony looked over to see a NCIS' car come to a screeching hault in front of the cemetery and his team members leaving the vehicle looking extremely pissed at him. He could already feel his ears warming up to Ducky and Abby's lectures while Ziva and McGee looked like they would never leave him ou of sight. “Boss...” he whined

“Your mess Tony. You clean it out. Besides, don't think they're your only concerns... You still need to make it up to me and Director Shepard...” Gibbs announced already hearing Ducky and Abby outrageous expressions.

At seeing his family little get toghether, a smirked blossom on Gibbs' face. 'Yup, no normal family could handle our Tony...”

The end
Chapter End Notes:
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

Thank you to my very patient readers. I finished this story at your incentive and effort! :)