- Text Size +
The next morning, Gibbs woke at the fairly reasonable hour of nine am and without opening his eyes he knew he was alone in the vast bed. He could smell coffee brewing, mingled with the mouth-watering aroma of bacon and waffles and his stomach growled. He was out of bed instantly and ducked under the shower, but only long enough to soap his body and hair, rinse off and then back in the bedroom towelling himself dry before pulling on a pair of cargo shorts and a baggy t-shirt.

“Morning,” he ventured tentatively as he walked into the kitchen. “What’s eating you?” The look on Tony’s face was unreadable " pursed lips, narrowed eyes as the younger man pushed a manila envelope across the breakfast counter towards him as he put down his coffee mug.

“I’m saying nothing,” Tony replied tersely. “But I’d be interested in your views.”

“What is this?” Gibbs picked up the envelope and studied it. Nothing remarkable " LA postmark with *recorded* stamped across the bottom edge " address and return address both neatly typed on white labels. He dropped it to one side as he helped himself to a mug of coffee and then sat opposite Tony " taking a few long drafts of the hot brew before turning his attention to the envelope again. “A bit large for an airline ticket,” he observed with a frown. “Can I?” He paused, ready to reach inside but looked to Tony to nod agreement and then he opened it, pulling out an airline ticket pouch " and a smaller envelope. He tugged out the airline ticket " only to find there were two tickets " one in Tony’s name and " strangely " one in the name of Leroy Jethro Gibbs. “Ah,” he said " placing both tickets on the counter.

“Yeah, *ah* - carry on " it gets better.” Tony jerked his chin at the smaller envelope.

Gibbs emptied the envelope onto the counter and spread out the photographs " each 6 x 4 print showed Gibbs and Tony together. Outside DC Beans, Tony at Gibbs’ front door, Gibbs in Tony’s apartment building lobby, the two of them just walking down the street, Tony getting into Gibbs’ car and vice versa " and in all of them " the two men were smiling, laughing and in a few " one or the other with their arm around his partners shoulder. To anyone who knew the pair, the pictures were completely innocent " and could in no way be construed to be anything but two friends/work colleagues hanging out together " but to someone like DiNozzo Senior " the photos could be prove to be useful leverage should the need arise. “You worried about this?” Gibbs asked finally " shoving everything back into the large envelope.

“Are you?”

“Not yet,” Gibbs tapped the envelope with a hand. “And I guess the decision’s made. I *am* going with you.”

“Jethro,” Tony sighed, rolling his eyes. “I thought we’d had this out already!”

“He’ll only wonder where I am if I don’t show up with you,” Gibbs pointed out. “And he’ll send someone to fetch me. Tony, this is no longer a debate " this involves the two of us now " not *just* you.”

“How long’s he had someone tailing us?” Tony lifted a fork and began poking his bacon around his plate. “I haven’t seen or heard from him in years and then " this!” He stabbed the fork at the envelope. “I spent most of last night trying to figure out what’s going on inside his head, Jethro " and I came up with nada.” He dropped his fork to the counter and got to his feet, crossing the kitchen to the window and leaning on the counter over the sink. “He could have eyes out there now, couldn’t he? He could be watching us right this minute.”

“Hey!” Gibbs frowned at his young lover. “Look at the photos again " tell me what you see.”

Tony spread the prints out across the counter, sighing heavily. “I see the two of us " and each of these could also be seen as being you and me,” he paused. “And we’re not exactly looking like we’re at work " “

“That’s what he wants you to see, DiNozzo.” Gibbs reached out and held up one photo " the one of the two of them walking along the street " both laughing. “That’s you and me headed out to lunch.” Tony didn’t look convinced. “And this one,” Gibbs held up another " the two of them exiting DC Beans. “This is us buying lunch and heading back to the Navy Yard.” He dropped it and collected up another " Tony leaning into Gibbs’ car window. “And that’s you asking me for a lift the day your car broke down.” He gave Tony a wink and smirked into his coffee.

“Yeah?” Tony countered. “So what about this one?” The shot of Gibbs at the elevator in the lobby of Tony’s apartment building.

“He’s into architecture?” Gibbs ventured.

“Bull!” Tony spat.

“Fine, believe what you want. We know this is all crap and we can explain away each one. For instance, why don’t you check the clock on the wall above the elevator? 6.45am. That could have been the day I had to come get you outta bed " you’d overslept, called me " I tried calling you back but you wouldn’t pick up your cell or home phone " so I had to come up get you " remember?”

“Oh,” Tony smiled briefly " the smile becoming an overall leer as he realised what Gibbs was getting at. “And it was all your fault we ended up being really late anyway.”

“My fault?” Gibbs snickered. “You knew I was on my way up and answering the door still dripping wet and naked from a shower " of course we’re going to be late.”

“If I recall " it was a quiet day anyway. McGeek had things covered.” Tony gazed into space, the smile still plastered on his face.

“Just wish you had,” Gibbs grinned. “Deep down, Tony " you’re just a slut, right?”

“Only for you, Jethro.”

“Don’t tempt me or I will give in and jump your bones right now,” Gibbs cupped his mug in his hands. “Your old man won’t win this, Tony. I won’t let him.”

“Boss,” Tony slid off the stool and tipped his untouched breakfast into the trash bin. “Don’t go all knight in shining armour on me. He’s my problem.”

“So you keep saying, DiNozzo. And you know what they say about a problem shared?” Gibbs picked up a piece of bacon, shoving the whole lot into his mouth and chewing vigorously before taking another long swallow of coffee. “Tony, sit down.”

“Can’t,” Tony shook his head and busied himself refilling the coffee pot.

“Tell me to mind my own business here, but does your father " does anyone besides you, me and Abs know you’re " we’re " bi?”

“Mind your own business?” Tony shot back and then sat down. “No, and I’ve given the family no reason to suspect anything " this is just his method of scare tactics.”

“So he’s clutching at straws, ya think?”

“With DiNozzo Senior? It’s hard to tell, he’s got a nasty little mind when it comes to retribution and all that kind of crap, Gibbs. He’s up to something and he’s hoping to scare the shit outta me " but as to why? I have no fucking idea " absolutely none.”

“But in less than twenty four hours, we’ll find out.” Gibbs tapped the airline tickets with a finger. “In the meantime " call Ziva " see what her contacts can find out.”

“Hell no! I’m not involving Ziva or McGee " or even Jen,” Tony’s eyes went wide, hinting at more than a little fear as he raised a hand in defence. “No way " you said this is between the three of us, Boss!”

“But Ziva’s contacts are " “

“No!” Tony slammed a fist onto the counter. “I said no, Jethro " and I damn well mean it " no one else " please?”

“So,” Gibbs drawled. “On Monday? When we don’t show? What then?”

“Huh?”

“Tony,” Gibbs sat back, stretching his arms above his head and yawning. “We don’t turn up for work " Jen is going to be screaming for a reason and I gotta come up with something.”

“Easily solved,” Tony began, reaching for Gibbs’ plate. “You done with this?” At Jethro’s nod, he picked up the plate and deposited it in the sink. “Jen won’t be a problem " you stay here " I go to LA " tell her something, anything. Tell her I’m contagious or " I died.”

“I do that, you’ll have Abs hammering on your door to nurse you " and Ducky’ll be wanting to check you over " and then I’ll be expected to show up with a bunch of grapes and a couple of GSM’s for you.”

Tony clutched a hand over his heart, looking pained. “Is that it?” he asked in all wide eyed innocence.

“Is what all it?”

“I’m on my sick bed with something nasty and all you’d bring me are some lousy grapes and a few magazines I’ve already read?”

Gibbs grunted and shrugged. “Then you’re an ungrateful brat.”

“And you are a stubborn, pigheaded unmitigated bastard.”

“I keep telling you, DiNozzo " second b stands for bastard " or haven’t you quite grasped that yet?”

“Give me half a chance, there’s something else I wouldn’t mind grabbing.” Tony leered at his lover " a half smile on his lips.

“You showered yet?”

“Nope.”

“Good. I already did " but a second one wouldn’t hurt.”

“Now who’s the slut?” Tony called over his shoulder as he sauntered from the kitchen.

“Not me, DiNozzo. Not me.”

******

Gibbs drained his mug, leaving it in the sink with every intention of following Tony to the bathroom, but as he stepped over the threshold to the living room he stopped, staring at the computer " beeping quietly to itself in the far corner. He glanced towards the bathroom and then back to the PC.

“Tony’s always *googling* leads " so who says I can’t *google* Daddy DiNozzo?”

He sat down and twitched the mouse briefly with his right hand " smiling to himself as the PC suddenly whirred into life " revealing a sun kissed beach, palm trees and a cloudless sky. “Don’t tell me,” he murmured. “Puerto freakin’ Rico.”

He brought up the Google page, tapping the keys quickly and hitting the search button " and was quietly confident there would be something " be it in Forbes or Time magazine. If Daddy was as rich as he claimed to be " or as industrious as he would have people believe " there would be something.

There was nothing. Absolute zero. Gibbs scowled and tried again using another search engine with the same result.

“Getting lonely in here!” Tony shouted.

“In a minute,” Gibbs muttered. “Damn! How can someone be as big as this bastard and not get mentioned. Not even on ZNN?”

“You deaf or what?” Tony yelled. “You got two minutes and I’m done!”

“Consider yourself done.” Gibbs whispered, reaching for his cell beside the PC. He hit speed dial and waited. “Ziva? Hey " need a favour.”

“I’m done!”

“Give me two seconds, Tony.” Gibbs thought to himself. “Ziva " find out what you can about Tony’s father,” he paused. “No, no he doesn’t know " and yes I will tell him. I’ve tried the internet doowacka " and it’s come up with nada. Maybe your contacts can find something?” Another pause. “No, no don’t email or fax. I’ll call you " in a couple of hours.” He snapped the phone shut and pushed it into the pocket of his shorts.

“What are you doing?” Tony asked suspiciously, towelling his hair dry as he walked into the living room " a towel around his waist.

“Checking emails,” Gibbs answered as he rose from the chair.

“So why’d you look as guilty as hell?” Tony lowered the towel and inclined his head. “Even I know you’re up to something.”

“Your gut tell you that?”

“That,” Tony nodded. “And the slightly startled look when I walked in. What have you done?”

“You’re learning, DiNozzo " you aren’t my second for nothing.” Gibbs moved past Tony and headed for the bedroom. Tony looked puzzled, turning to watch Gibbs’ departing back.

“Of course I’m your second Boss, being a Senior Field Agent might have something to do with it!”

“Is that so?” Gibbs chuckled as he reappeared, car keys in hand. “And when’s the last time Senior Field Agents did any grocery shopping? You got five minutes to get presentable " and we’re heading out.”

“As long as I get to ride in the cart?”

“Don’t even think it,” Gibbs called back from the front door. “Or you’ll get more than a head slap!”

“Spoilsport!”

“Not at all,” Gibbs replied. “It’s just I don’t want people thinking we’re related " like I’m big brother to an ass hole. I’m outta here!” he pulled the door to and set off along the corridor to the elevator " whistling.

“Related huh?” Tony grinned evilly. “Okay " you asked for it.”

In the underground parking lot, Gibbs groaned aloud at the sight strolling across the tarmac towards him " but he lowered his head to hide the unfeasibly wide grin from the younger man.

Tony was wearing a ball cap on backwards, a black t-shirt with the words *I’m with Stupid!* emblazoned across it with arrows pointing left and right and he was sucking on a small red lollipop " but it was the shorts that nearly did Gibbs in " a bright Hawaiian print with parrots and palm trees which could be considered an affront to one’s eyes the colours were almost blinding, but it was the way they hung on Tony’s lean frame " if he bent down " he’d be arrested they were that loose but there was something engaging about the way he had to keep hauling them up every few steps and Gibbs was soon sniggering like a school kid.

“Wha’?” Tony asked innocently as he climbed in, the lollipop still in his mouth.

“You’re wearing those shorts for a bet?”

“I’d take ‘em off but I’m kinda " commando underneath.” To emphasise the point, Tony started to push them down over his hips.

“Stop!” Gibbs laughed, shaking his head. “Stop right now " please!”

“Look,” Tony pulled the lollipop free. “As I see it, we’ve got a day and a bit before we have to face reality again " so " I’m using the time to let my hair down. Any complaints?”

“Pull those shorts down any lower " and I won’t be the one complaining.” Gibbs said as he gunned the engine.

“You never do,” Tony snickered. “And do me a favour?”

“If it has anything to do with me wearing a matching pair of those hideous things,” he pointed to the shorts. “No way.”

Tony let his head drop back and whined deep in his throat. “Let me finish, Boss. We’re not at work, we’re not on our way to a crime scene " we’re on our way to the mall " so there’s no rush, no need to see how many times I puke, or if you can break your tire skid record " drive slowly for a change?”

“My driving scare you, huh?” Gibbs asked as he pulled out into the traffic.

“No,” Tony lied. “It’s Saturday " and I’d like to get home on time " and in one piece to watch the ball game that’s all.”

“Ball game?”

“Sox and Dolphins, Boss.”

“Oh, you mean *that* kind of ball game,” Gibbs glanced at Tony who was busy sucking on his lollipop again. “You bring me one?”

“Of course,” Tony handed him a lollipop. “And " erm " what kinda ball game d’you have in " “ Tony paused and nodded sagely. “Mm, I’m sure I can find a window in my busy schedule.”

“Somewhere between Punk’d and Jackass I hope.”

“Eyes on the road, Boss. On the road!” Tony cried as Gibbs narrowly missed an oncoming car while overtaking.

“Not my fault,” Gibbs shrugged. “All this talk of ball games " sort of distracting.”

“Might help if you weren’t staring at my crotch and watched out for the other four wheeled vehicles or hadn’t you noticed them?”

“You want to get out and walk?”

“You make me do that, the shorts are off.”

“Oh hell, I’m not winning here, am I?”

“Nope!”

TBC….very shortly