- Text Size +
“And that makes you feel better?” Gibbs whispered in Tony’s ear as the younger man flopped into the seat next to him " a big smile on his face.

“Yep,” Tony nodded. “Sure beats that bastard watching my every freakin’ move.”

“DiNozzo, it’s a photograph,” Gibbs sighed. “You paranoid or what?”

“Or nothing, Boss.” Tony shrugged. “I don’t need to be reminded what Daddy dearest looks like and anyway " the picture’s been airbrushed.”

“And you’d know about airbrushing, then?”

Tony twisted in his seat and regarded Gibbs levelly, pouting slightly. “Okay " remember the picture and then compare it to the real thing, I *know* airbrushed when I see it.”

“Oh boy,” Gibbs breathed almost to himself. “It’s going to be that kind of flight is it?”

“No,” Tony smiled. “I intend having a great time.”

“It’s going to be that kind of a flight,” Gibbs nodded. “*Great* for him " purgatory for me " so what’s new?”

As soon as they’d boarded the plane, Tony had tugged out his copy of GSM and opened it to the middle page and gently removed the staples tarnishing an otherwise rather fetching spread of some winsome leggy lovely. With a satisfied grunt, he then moved towards the wall backing onto the cockpit and took down a rather grandiosely framed photograph of his father, turning the frame around and placing it against the wall. He held out a hand to Wayne. “Gum please?” He quickly chewed the proffered sliver of gum and then used it to fix the centrefold to the dark wood lacquered wall and stepped back to admire his handiwork.

“Excuse me,” Isobel began as she stepped over the threshold. “Mr DiNozzo will not appreciate you doing that.”

“Yeah,” Tony frowned at her. “In case you forgot, I’m Mr DiNozzo too " only you can call me Tony " and this Mr DiNozzo does appreciate removing that old fart for the duration,” he paused. “I can confine him to the head if you like, Irene " up to you.”

“Isobel,” she snarled, her face pinched.

“Whatever,” Tony flapped a hand at her. “So, you are " actually " Stefan and the other two goons I can understand working for dear old pater " but you? What’s your job? Apart from rubbing me up the wrong way from the outset?”

“I am your father’s personal assistant " he entrusts me with everything,” she purred as she took a seat and buckled up.

“Everything?” Tony echoed. “I’m guessing that doesn’t include the combination to his safe " but I’ll bet you’re working on that.”

“How dare you!” Isobel snapped.

“Oh, I dare,” Tony shot back. “And I haven’t even started yet " and we’ve got about five hours ahead of us. Just think of the fun we could have.” Stefan chose that moment to exit the cockpit. “Hey, Stefan " you remember to pack Twister?”

“Twister?” Stefan repeated, looking bemused.

“Twister,” Tony prompted. “You know, spin the arrow and then we all get up and personal trying to put our hands and feet on the coloured dots " well, not us " maybe me and Isodora here,” he flashed the woman one of his megawatt smiles. “Wanna get up and personal?”

Isobel was having a great deal of trouble containing herself from an outburst but she raised both hands to her hair, smoothing it back as she lowered her gaze and settled back.

“Will you quit while you’re ahead?” Gibbs suggested from behind a copy of the New York Times. “Five hours on a plane with you in this mood " and I’ll probably be tossing you out the airlock in one.” He lowered one corner of the paper and then crumpled it into his lap. “With me,” he said softly as he rose from his seat, glancing down at Tony before moving to the far end of the plane towards a small sofa " its back facing into the cabin. Tony frowned for a second and then followed, sitting next to his lover and leaning close. A glance back and Gibbs could see Stefan making his way out of the main door, Wayne was otherwise engaged on his cell phone as he disappeared after Stefan and Isobel was fixing earphones with one hand and concentrating on her Ipod with the other. “You’re being an ass, Tony.” Gibbs sat back, leaving his hand resting lightly on Tony’s for a moment. “Bravado doesn’t suit you.”

“I’m just being " “

“Believe me,” Gibbs breathed. “I *know* you.”

“But " “ Tony stared at him. “I’m just " “

“You’re just covering up the fact that you’re worried, hell " you might even be a little bit scared but fucking these guys off isn’t going to help you " or us. Just relax, just calm down and enjoy the flight.”

“Jethro " “

“We’re in a Gulf Stream 2000 with a ton of extras and you haven’t even commented on that fact " which is what I expected as soon as we boarded.” Gibbs smiled at him.

“You *know* we’re on a Gulf Stream?” Tony’s eyes went wide. “Hey, I’m impressed.”

“It’s written on the nose,” Gibbs chuckled. “Look, all I want is for you to remember you’re not alone in this, I’m right here with you and whatever your father has planned " whatever happens " I’ve got your six.”

Tony lowered his eyes, taking Gibbs’ hand in his and squeezing lightly. “Yeah, Boss. I know. No more wise ass " but she starts anything " “

“You’ll just smile and take it, DiNozzo.” Gibbs warned. “Or do you really want me to head slap ya?”

“No head slap, Boss. I’ll behave.”

“Glad to hear it.” A final hand squeeze and the two men retook their original seats, Gibbs burying himself in the newspaper again and Tony collecting up his magazine and leafing through it.

*~*~*

“Just curious,” Gibbs started as Stefan sat opposite him.

“About what, Mr Gibbs?” Stefan smiled wanly.

“Just Gibbs.”

“About what, Gibbs?”

“Your methods?”

Stefan snickered softly. “Before I answer that, can I ask you something?”

“Within reason.” Gibbs affirmed as Tony rejoined them from the head. “What?”

“Do you always do all the talking?” Stefan watched Tony closely as he waited for an answer. “Seems to me, DiNozzo Junior does what you tell him most of the time " and most of the time we’ve been together " you seem to be the one in charge.”

“Really?” It was Gibbs’ turn to snicker. “It’s Tony " not DiNozzo Junior. I’m his Boss and if I see fit to have to reel him in now and again " that’s my prerogative. For the record though " I don’t take kindly to demands from overbearing assholes even if they are the father of one of my team and I sure as hell don’t like being commanded to be present when all the bastard had to do was ask nicely.”

“Mr DiNozzo always asks nicely, Gibbs.” Stefan pointed out. “This whole trip is on him as it is " and seems to me I’m sensing you’re a little ungrateful " after all, this is costing *my* Boss money " not you.”

“He didn’t *have* to foot the bill,” Tony shrugged. “But then, he’s always happier when he’s showing off " this plane for instance and, no doubt, the limo waiting at the other end.”

“Limo?” Gibbs looked at Tony quickly. “A cab would do me.”

“Limo’s always a little too " I dunno. Ostentatious?” Tony suggested.

“Your father is only trying to do his best for you, Tony.” Stefan said stiffly. “We were instructed to bring you to him with as little fuss as possible. He did warn us, however, that you do tend to sneer at his obvious shortcomings " the least of which being that he now recognises that he has failed you and wants nothing more than to make up for lost time.”

“Lost time?” Tony echoed. “Look, Stefan " I don’t know how long you’ve worked for him. I don’t know and frankly I really don’t want to know but one thing you will soon realise about my father is that words cost him nothing, actions cost nothing unless there’s a profit in it " to him, I’m nothing but empty words and even emptier actions " he wants something he takes it and when he’s done " it gets tossed aside and he moves on. The bastard is up to something and, although he’ll never admit it, that something includes me and he wants me back real bad. All this fluff,” Tony indicated the cabin. “All this is just window dressing.”

“Your father has a good heart.”

“Crap!” Tony snorted. “Hasn’t it even occurred to you to ask yourself why it’s taken you three and her " the four of you to get Gibbs and me here? All he had to do was pick up the phone and call me " all he had to do was ask me over.”

“And you’d have come?”

“No.” Tony shrugged. “Not immediately " but curiosity would have won out in the end.”

“Liar,” Gibbs stated.

“Aw, am I that transparent?” Tony did his best to look hurt.

“At times, DiNozzo. You want to explain why he wanted me along too?” This directed at Stefan.

“I have no idea, Gibbs " but I’m sure it’s not in a babysitting capacity. I’m sure Tony can look after himself.”

“Sure can,” Tony stood up and shrugged off his coat. “Been doing that since I was ten years old " a mother drunk in the drawing room and the old man cooped up with his cronies in his study " you learn to look after number one " fast.”

At that moment, Gibbs’ cell beeped and he tugged it out of a pocket. Frowning, he held it at arms length and squinted at the screen. “I think it’s a text doodah,” he murmured. Tony said nothing, he reached for the cell and hit a button, handing it back. “Thanks.”

“You’re welcome,” Tony settled back in his seat. “What’s it say?”

“Reservations at Berkeley made.”

“The Director came up trumps for us,” Tony beamed. “I like the Berkeley " understated, comfortable, tres expensive and " best of all " it’s not costing us a penny.”

“I beg to differ,” Stefan reached into the inside pocket of his jacket. “Your father had already assumed you might not wish to stay at the house " he has arranged the penthouse for you at the Hyatt,” he said as he dropped a folded piece of paper onto the small table. “Provisionally booked for a week’s stay.”

“We’re not planning on staying more than is necessary,” Gibbs said as he unfolded the paper and scanned it, handing it to Tony.

“But tell him thanks anyway,” Tony flashed a smile as he scrunched the paper in his hand, tossing it over his shoulder.

“I take it his invitation to dinner at the house tonight is met with equal disdain?”

“No,” Gibbs said levelly. “Dinner tonight will be fine " but just so you know " we don’t do formal.”

“What you see is what you get,” Tony added.

Stefan glared at the two men for a moment and then the smile was plastered back in place. “I do hope you are not planning on pissing Mr DiNozzo off before you’ve even seen him,” he said softly.

“Working on it,” Tony grinned. “Only way we’re going to have fun this trip.”

“And isn’t that what LA’s all about?” Gibbs asked lightly. “Having fun?”

“Now you’re getting it, Boss.”

Stefan bristled…

TBC…