- Text Size +
Title: Family Ties " Part 7
Author: mrsdinozzo
Rating: FRAO (soon)
Pairing: DiNozzo/Gibbs
Archive: sure " to WWOMB
Spoilers: Nil




Tony was quiet. Too quiet. But Gibbs said nothing as they climbed into the waiting limo " the sanctimonious grin on Stefan’s face as he held open the door for first, Gibbs and then Tony irked him but he said nothing " notching it up for later as a chance to maybe slap the goon a little hard should the chance arise. He was grateful to see the goon mobile would be following so neither of them would have to put up with Stefan and his cohorts any longer.

“You okay, Tony?” Gibbs asked as he settled back, his gaze caught as a small jet plane taxied along the runway.

“M’fine,” was all Tony said, although the fisting and unfisting of the hand in his lap told another story.

“If you say so,” Gibbs affirmed. No reply but the tension was palpable as the car started up. “LA huh? First time for me.”

“It’s been a while,” Tony sighed. “Never thought I’d be " “ he glanced at Gibbs and dropped his gaze " opting for silence again.

“We got time to talk later, DiNozzo.” Gibbs itched to reach out and take his lover’s hand but there was no telling what view the driver had " or whether they were under any sort of covert surveillance so, instead, he settled back to enjoy the ride.

“Berkeley?” The driver asked politely. “Nice place " not that I can afford it on my salary " staying long?”

“As long as needs be,” Gibbs answered. “A day at most.”

“You can’t see all of this beautiful city in one day, sir,” the driver chuckled. “All the way here then you’re turning round and headed back to DC? Man " that is *no* visit.”

“Long enough for us to get done what needs doing,” Gibbs frowned at the brown eyes staring back at him in the rear-view mirror and the driver immediately got the hint and quieted.

The drive was " for the most part " silent.

“I can’t do this, Boss.” Tony whispered, staring at the ceiling. “I can’t do this.”

“Tony?” Gibbs said sounding concerned. “Get a hold of yourself,” he took a hold of Tony’s wrist, his index finger running a soothing circle on the palm. “You want to stop the car for a second?”

“No,” Tony shook his head. “No " it’s just " just " “

“Later,” Gibbs breathed. “Later.”

Tony nodded, a small smile gracing his features. “Sorry Boss " just nerves I guess.”

“Yeah " I’d be nervous too " “

“Meaning?” Tony hissed, his eyes suddenly narrowing.

“Meaning, DiNozzo " hell " I don’t know " but I get what you’re saying.”

“No you don’t,” Tony whispered again. “No you fucking don’t!” He pressed himself tight up against the door, pushed his shades up to the bridge of his nose and stared pointedly out of the window. “No-one fucking does!”

“Can’t be jetlag,” the driver said lightly. “Your buddy okay?”

“Here’s a tip,” Gibbs leaned forward, resting both arms on the back of the driver’s seat. “You keep your eyes on the road, your ears shut " and that mouth closed.”

“Woah,” the man protested. “Only showing concern for my fellow man " man. That’s all " what’s his deal anyway?” He glanced back at Tony.

“None of your business,” Gibbs kept his voice deliberately low. “And if it was, I couldn’t tell you " because then I’d have to kill you.”

“Oh fuck,” the driver whimpered. “Second day out driving the limo and I pissed another client off already.”

“Oh,” Gibbs growled in his ear. “It takes a lot more than a nosey bastard like you to piss me off " only when people piss me off " I tend to lose control, I get angry.”

“Boss, leave it,” Tony tugged Gibbs back by the shoulder. “Don’t make any more trouble " just leave him be.”

“Just leave me be,” the driver nodded. “Sure, leave me be and I get to live another day.”

*****

Twenty minutes later, the limo pulled up outside the Berkeley and both men alighted, moving round to the trunk as their bags were unloaded. Gibbs made a point of ignoring Tony for the moment, reluctantly handing their driver a five dollar note.

“That’s it?” the driver scorned.

“If you don’t want it, I’ll have it back?” Gibbs made to take the money.

“No,” the driver stuffed the note into a pocket. “Five is fine " just fine. I’ll be back here to collect you at seven sharp. Mr DiNozzo doesn’t like " “

“ " to be kept waiting,” Gibbs finished for him. “You’ll be back here for seven thirty sharp " and you’ll spend an hour showing us some of LA.”

“The Boss won’t like that.”

“I don’t give a flying fuck what the Boss won’t like,” Gibbs grinned. “We’re his guests and as guests we get to do what we like " we’re on vacation right?”

“Oh man " and I am one lucky bastard taking Mr D all the way to ‘Frisco on Sunday afternoon " he’s going to be in a foul mood " it’ll be hell.”

“For a driver,” Gibbs gazed at him. “You sure do talk a lot.”

“All part of the service.”

“Yeah,” Gibbs flapped a hand at the limo as a bellboy stepped up beside him. “Now fuck off.”

“Sir?” The bellboy looked at him aghast.

“Not you,” Gibbs picked up the two bags in one hand and guided Tony by the elbow inside to the lobby, the bellboy hot on his tail.

“Can I help you with those?” he asked politely, still somewhat stunned at the older man’s gruffness.

“No,” Gibbs flashed him a smile. “I’ve got two hands. Where do we check in?”

“All done for you, Agent Gibbs.” Stefan was stalking across the lobby floor, room keys in hand. “Rooms 147 and 148 " doubles.”

“We need nurse maids too?”

“Thanks, Stefan.” Tony snatched the keys from him, glaring at Gibbs. “We’ll take it from here. Elevators?”

Stefan pointed back the way he had just come. “Enjoy your stay, gentlemen.” He intoned with a wave of his hand at their departing backs. “Great,” he muttered under his breath. “It’s not two agents we’re dealing with here is it? Nah " one’s a barely pubescent teenager and the other one " is there a word in the dictionary that encompasses bad tempered, wise assing old bastard who thinks the world owes him something?” He left the hotel still muttering to himself making mental note to dig out a dictionary later.

****

“What are you doing?” Tony asked softly as they waited for the elevator.

“Bear with me,” Gibbs held his cell at arms length, squinting at the screen. “Damn doodah! How’d I bring up messages?” he jerked the phone at Tony.

“You’ve done it before,” Tony threw him a look as he searched the menus.

“Yeah, I know.” Gibbs nodded. “Most of the time I get the right button.”

“Woah!” Tony snickered. “Someone’s popular " you got seven messages " from " “ he hit a few buttons and then deflated. “Ziva.”

“And?” Gibbs took back the cell as the elevator doors pinged.

“How should I know? You snatched it back before I had a " “

Gibbs held up a hand, stepping aside as a couple left the car and another joined them inside. He held the screen at arms length again and looked to Tony, to the screen and back again " handing the device to the younger man.

“What?” Tony mouthed.

“In a second.” Gibbs shook his head slightly. “Just read.”

Tony read " and understood, finding himself unable to stop smiling at the keys he’d just been carrying were taken from him and slipped into the large open wicker shoulder purse of the woman standing in front of Gibbs.

The couple finally exited the elevator and Gibbs hit speed dial, pressing the phone to his ear. A hurried conversation as they also exited the car and Gibbs threw the phone to Tony.

“Turn it off,” Gibbs said as he pushed open the door to the stairs. “We’ve got ten minutes max.”

“For what?” Tony was puzzled.

“Ziva’s arranged an alternative hotel " also we’re switching cells " and the car with our new cells which is also our transport to the Radisson " will be outside the parking garage in about five minutes.” Gibbs was trotting down the stairs quickly, Tony on his heels.

“I like you, Gibbs.” Tony snickered. “You trust the old bastard just as much as I do.”

“Less,” Gibbs pointed out. “A hell of a lot less.”



****

An hour later, showered and on his third mug of coffee Gibbs stepped outside onto the balcony of their hotel and sat down on the roomy sofa. Tony stood at the rail, hands grasping the metal tightly as he stared out over the vista of LA.

“I already asked, I know.” Gibbs said, keeping his tone light. “But " are you okay?”

“It’s all right, Boss.” Tony said softly. “I bit your head off earlier " I’m sorry.”

“Don’t be sorry, DiNozzo " “

“It’s a sign of weakness, another made up rule.” Tony turned round, facing into the room and folded his arms. “But no " if I’m really honest, Gibbs? I’m scared as hell and now we’re here " and he’s " out there " somewhere within a ten mile radius. He feels so fucking close I can almost smell him.”

“Which is why Ziva insisted on a change of venue " “ Gibbs placed his mug on the floor and got to his feet. “And it’s my turn to be sorry.”

“What the hell did you do?” Tony glanced at him briefly before staring at his feet. “Apart from act all gun ho " and where did all that crap come from anyway? You like that with all limo drivers?”

“Only the ones that piss me off,” Gibbs shrugged. “I’m sorry I didn’t tell you about the switch till it happened. I didn’t want to risk " I mean " you’re Senior Field Agent and I should have had you in on the loop but " “

“No, you did right Boss.” Tony held up a hand as he shook his head. “Less people knowing and all that crap. I’m glad you thought of it " cause I sure as hell didn’t. One point to dear old Dad.”

“Hey!” Gibbs rested a hand on both Tony’s shoulders and shook his gently. “No points to the old fart " we’re just covering our backs " that’s all.”

“Was it your idea or Ziva’s?” Tony looked at him as though daring him to answer.

“Ziva’s.” Gibbs admitted after a pause. “Tony " you’re trembling.” He pulled the younger man into his arms, a hand rubbing small circles on his lower back and smiled to himself as the embrace was returned. “What the hell did that bastard ever do to you to make you this scared?”

Tony snuffled softly into Gibbs’s shoulder, biting back a sob before pulling back, both hands wiping tears from his eyes.

“What is it you haven’t told me?” Gibbs pressed gently. “What the fuck reduces a grown man, not to mention my top NCIS agent to tears?”

“Gibbs " please " “ Tony gazed into those steely blue eyes and smiled softly. “Don’t " please? Just don’t?” With that, he stepped around the older man and disappeared inside " leaving Gibbs with a cold, gnawing feeling in his gut.

“DiNozzo Senior,” he breathed. “Man " have you got a penance to pay! And the first thing on my *piss Daddy off list*? " we’ll be pulling up outside in a yellow cab.”

TBC:…..
Chapter End Notes:
Touchdown in LA...and Gibbs is being sneaky...oh so sneaky...