- Text Size +
Story Notes:
I just started writing this some weeks ago and didn't know where it would bring me or if it would ever be finished, but my muse picked it up again, I guess, and the direction this headed into was completely unexpected even to myself. I never wrote or imagined their chracters like this...well, hope you enjoy and review ^^ A big thanks goes to KSL (whose stories I absolutely adore and all those little Desis in my head are doing the happy dance right now) for encouraging me and M.D. Smith who really put work into this to make it work and has been an awesome beta for me. Working title has been Going round in circles.
Author's Chapter Notes:
So what if lurking around Gibbs house with temperatures below freezing point bordered right on the edge of insanity? Tony definitely doesn't care all that much.
He didn't really know why he was there, or why he had been there yesterday, or the day before that.

It was cold. The temperature had dropped below the freezing point some days ago and he didn't care that the car's windows were all frozen over now, same as the other nights. He only kept rubbing at a spot about as big as his glove-covered fist to be able to look through the driver's side window, across the street to the medium-sized house.

His undercover case had gone wrong three weeks ago. Three weeks in which he tried his best to act like the Anthony DiNozzo everyone was used to. Three weeks in which he couldn't decide if the feeling inside him was a broken heart or relief.

Three weeks, in which he took up the habit of driving to Gibbs' house again, parking across the street and just watching. He never got out and actually made himself noticeable, oh, he thought about it, yes, but he always ended up sitting in his car all night long.

The strange thing about this situation wasn't that as soon as he got home from work, having nothing to do, no place to be, no job to be done, with not even his huge DVD collection distracting his attention, he drove up to Gibbs' house. No, the strange thing now was that for the past 11 days, when he did drive up to Gibbs' house, only to sit, freezing in his car, there was no indication that Colonel Hollis Mann was even there. In fact, for the past 11 days the only light in the house came from the basement, soon to be doused around 1:00 am. Only to change the source, marking the way Gibbs went, first the corridor, then upstairs into the bathroom and then Gibbs’ bedroom. After that the house was drowning in darkness and that was also the time Tony was ready to drive home.

Tony was questioning is mental health more often than not these days, especially now, when he was sure his lips had turned blue and he started to shiver. It was an inner drive that kept him coming here ever since Gibbs was released from the hospital after having lost his memory. He tried ignoring it before, and he could only remember too vividly how that had worked out as he got into work the next day, bleary eyed and tired as hell.

While Jeanne had been a part of his life, well, not his exactly, but his alter-ego's life, he had had no reason to sit in a car like a voyeur, freezing his ass off. Her warm body pressed up next to him was so much more appealing. But Jeanne was gone and he had to admit he really had liked her. He maybe even had been about to fall in love with her. She had occupied his thoughts, given him a goal in life, a reason to build a home, everything he had lacked so far. As long as he hadn't had it, he hadn't missed it; but he'd gotten a taste of it now, and he found himself longing for that taste again, since he knew how delicious it could be.

And who would have expected that? Anthony DiNozzo, epitome of a confirmed bachelor, able to bong a beer in under six seconds, wanting someone he could come home to? Not possible.

The little basement windows across the street turning dark got his attention.

He slumped back into the seat, lolling his head against the window, and closed his eyes. Until now, he hadn't been aware how worn out he felt. If he wanted to convince himself he only did this every night to make sure his boss was alright, he had to drive home now.

Puffing out a deep breath (he refused to let himself sigh); he straightened up and turned on the ignition, ready to drive back to his apartment, finally. The sudden, sharp knock on the driver's side window nearly gave him a heart attack, but Tony vowed that he most definitely did not screech and just barely jumped.

"DiNozzo, open that damn door!"

While gripping the steering wheel tightly, Tony contemplated if saying that he just drove by was an acceptable enough excuse for Gibbs.

"Uuh, hey, boss, watcha doing out here?" He tried his best not to look busted when Gibbs opened the door.

An answering snort was all he got. "Get inside."

Tony stared at Gibbs' retreating back, not quite convinced he could get his frozen limbs to move.

"Today, DiNozzo."

The Italian could not disobey the underlying order in that tone and found himself hastening to catch up.





Tony followed Gibbs into the kitchen, all along berating himself for missing the lighted trail which should have traced Gibbs' path from the basement to the bedroom. Not to mention, as Tony hastily checked his watch, that it was much too early for Gibbs to quit working on the boat. The man was a creature of habit, for god's sake!

A chair was shoved in his direction with the force of a foot. "Sit."

Tony sat.

A mug was shoved into his numbed grip. The hot liquid piercing cold skin as Tony cradled the mug in his hands.

"What were you doing out there?" Gibbs had sat across the table opposite his subordinate, his own mug in hand.

Piercing blue eyes held him in place. "I, uhm, was just in the area and it was purely coincidence that made me stop there, uhm…" ~Yeah, great, DiNozzo, use the one thing Gibbs' does not believe in as an excuse, well done.~

Gibbs quirked an eyebrow as Tony bought himself some time by sipping at his-

"That's hot chocolate." Surprised light green eyes locked with Gibbs'.

Jethro's lips twitched slightly. "You don't drink coffee after 1800 unless we're working a case."

"But when-" Tony shook his head, not bothering to finish the sentence since he was sure Gibbs wouldn't give him an answer anyway. Instead he took another sip letting the taste indulge his senses for a moment, his eyes closing in pure bliss. "That's really good, boss."

Gibbs nodded his head in acknowledgement. Not that he was trying to please Tony because he was not, seriously.

The silence stretched and while Gibbs might have been content with just staring at him, Tony was not and soon started to squirm, making his anxiety known.

"So ... where's Mann?" Well, he definitely had to work on sounding nonchalant.

"Hawaii."

Tony couldn't quite tell what surprised him more: Mann being in Hawaii even though she had been attached to Gibbs like a limpet, or the fact that Gibbs actually answered a personal question?

"Why?" It seemed Tony had hugged a chimney sweeper, so why not try his luck while he had it.

"Because I couldn't give her what she wanted."

When Gibbs crossed his arms, Tony knew he was challenging him to dare digging deeper. Breaking away from that piercing gaze, Tony could shamelessly admit he didn't have the balls to.

Smug, Gibbs leaned forward. "My turn now. What were you doing camped out in front of my house, DiNozzo?"

"I told you, I-"

"Let me rephrase then: What where you doing outside, parked across the street, for the past several weeks?"

Tony gaped. Opening and closing his mouth like a fish trying to pump oxygen into their gills while lying on a carving board waiting to get their heads chopped off.

"You knew." Tony was surprised, but still he didn't make it sound like a question, it was plainly a statement working its way slowly into his own brain.

"Yeah." Gibbs leaned a bit more forward. "And I really want to know why."

"I can't tell you."

Gibbs huffed. "Bullshit."

"I really can't tell you, Gibbs, because I really don't know why!" Tony felt oddly defensive.

After staring intently at the brunette, Gibbs slumped back into his chair, sighing, obviously believing Tony for whatever reason. "Let's go to bed, DiNozzo. Guest room's yours." The older man got up, offering a place to crash without really taking note of it, only having absently noticed the dark shadows under the young man's eyes and the lines of fatigue marking the otherwise blithe face.

"Boss?"

One hand already on the doorframe leading out of the kitchen, Gibbs turned back to Tony. "What is it, DiNozzo?"

"Why did you let her go?" Mann again. Tony couldn't let the matter rest, having labelled her already as soon-to-be Ex-Wife Number Four.

"DiNozzo ..." Gibbs warned.

"Why?" Aiming determined hazel eyes at the marine, it was clear to Gibbs that he wouldn't get to sleep any time soon if he didn't reciprocate.

"Maybe I can't tell you," he teased with a wry smile.

"Bullshit."

Gibbs eyes danced with amusement. He liked yanking Tony's chain just as much as the other man seemed to his.

"You know, we could stop dancing here just for once." Gibbs leaned against the doorframe, defences down at last.

Tony smiled. Warmly and purely nothing like the 100 watt smile he gave at the office, but just as breathtaking. "What would be the fun in that?"

The older man laughed openly. "If you can't think of any, I overestimated you."

The Italian's eyes clouded over with heat if only for a moment. "In for a penny, in for a pound." It was as much of a warning as it was a reprimand.

"You hung out with Ducky lately?" The sparkle in the blue eyes didn't leave.

"Boss, seriously, if we-"

The rest was forgotten because suddenly there were wet lips on his own and a hand squeezing his neck, urging him forward. He didn't notice that he had closed his eyes and didn't want to notice that mewling sound he made as a tongue traced his lower lip. He parted them only a little bit too eagerly to let a forceful Gibbs explore the insides of the moist cavern. But Tony was known to give as good as he got and when he massaged the welcome invader with his own tongue, he only did a little mental cheering dance, when he had access to exploit Gibbs' mouth to the fullest.

Panting slightly, they leant against each other, foreheads touching, eyes connecting.

"No going back now, Jethro."

"No more running, either, Tony."

"I think I can deal with that."

"Ya think, DiNozzo?" That triggered a chuckle from the younger one. "Let's go to bed." And this time Gibbs tugged Tony's hand to make him follow.





Gibbs was aware that Tony wriggled just a little too much against him for the sole purpose of getting comfortable, but he didn't particularly object since he had a strong arm slung across Tony's middle, and his nose was nuzzling against the other man's neck, spooning up behind him. He was content just lying there and letting the brunette's scent turn his brain into a happy mush.

"Jethro?"

A grunt was a sufficient answer to signal that Gibbs was awake and aware enough to continue.

"You know, I don't…I never…uhm…" Gibbs' thumb started to caress in slow circles above Tony's belly button, giving him strength enough to voice his concerns. "I have…little experience with this kind of, uhm, male-bonding."

Gibbs stilled for a second, trying to decipher the words as they entered his clouded brain, before resuming his caresses and pressing a kiss to Tony's neck. "We'll work it out."

He could all but feel the distress draining from the younger man, as he fully relaxed into the applied touch.

"And, Tony? You lie to me again and you're not only jobless. Clear?"

"Crystal, boss."

Content, Tony pressed himself further against Gibbs, having finally found the place to call home.



The End.
Chapter End Notes:
I just started writing this some weeks ago and didn't know where it would bring me or if it would ever be finished, but my muse picked it up again, I guess, and the direction this headed into was completely unexpected even to myself. I never wrote or imagined their chracters like this...well, hope you enjoy and review ^^
A big thanks goes to KSL (whose stories I absolutely adore and all those little Desis in my head are doing the happy dance right now) for encouraging me and M.D. Smith who really put work into this to make it work and has been an awesome beta for me. Working title has been Going round in circles.