- Text Size +
Evie’s cell phone buzzed and she smiled seeing Matthew on the caller id. Smiling as she flipped it open she teased, “How is the cutest psychiatrist I know?”

Jethro smirked knowing that she was talking to Matthew. He shook his head as he listened to the one-sided conversation.

“No, as I just told himself, she’s having a baby not getting a manicure, it takes a little time. Refresh my memory, didn’t you go to medical school?” “I am well aware that you have no interest in gynecology either personally or professionally.” “I will call as soon as we know anything. I promise, now go.”

Jethro didn’t even try to think that he understood their particular friendship. He still had a hard time reconciling the polished, suit wearing, respected specialist with the long-haired, surfer looking intern that had saved Evie from the darkness that almost consumed her.

---------------

Soon after they had returned from Hawaii, Matthew flew down from New York for a quick visit and Jethro got to see what had become of the floppy haired intern. Evie had picked him up at the airport and when they walked in the house Jethro almost didn’t recognize him. He had bulked up at the gym, and now looked like something that belonged in Hollywood with his short spiky hair and manicure. Metrosexual Evie called him.

Over coffee they broke the ice and the two men were dragged into conversation by Evie. Jethro learned how the Stetson case had also changed Matthew’s life. After treating Evie as an intern he found that he was drawn to help other victims of sexual torture and abuse, especially those with alternative lifestyles. He was very good at it and in high demand. New York also afforded him more acceptance in living openly as a gay man, and he had been in a wonderful loving relationship for seven years. His partner William was a violinist that he had met at an after party for a charity concert. The two men had become inseparable from that night forward. They were perfect for each other, and in that strange cosmic way, need had again called to need, and Matthew not only wore William’s ring on his finger but his collar on his throat.

Jethro enjoyed observing Evie and Matthew together. They teased and laughed and knew each other well. And when Tony and Abby came for dinner things just got better, he couldn’t remember a time that his home had been so full of laughter and companionship. He was glad that Evie had had someone through all those years that she could trust, someone to care about her, someone that loved her. Because even though he was unabashedly gay, Matthew had teased that if he hadn’t been, that he would have married Evie years ago. And though he was teasing Jethro knew he was being truthful. There was a bond between them forged in the fires of hell and Jethro knew that nothing would break it.

The months had turned to years and Matthew and William became part of their family. And after Evie and Jethro adopted Jacob they became Uncle Matt and Uncle Will right along with Uncle Tony and Aunt Abby. They had taken five year old Jacob for a week so Evie and Jethro could go celebrate their anniversary in Hawaii and after not only surviving the week but loving it, they started the adoption process themselves and soon had adopted not one, but two. Siblings, the nine year old girl and seven year old boy were the survivors of a drug addicted abusive household. Terrified, fragile, and longing to be loved the pair soon found themselves part of an extended eclectic family that had patience and love to spare.


---------------

tbc...