- Text Size +
Chapter 23

Tony sat in his car just a few blocks from Agent Crimsons apartment, adjusting the microphone he had hidden under his shirt. He just hoped he had concealed it and the recorder well enough so that it wouldn’t be noticed. As he sat there with his hands on the steering wheel, he thought about all that had happened with his Father in the past. His knuckles turned white as his gripped tightened when Tony contemplated the fact that his Fathers death had ended any hope he harbored of resolving his issues with him and that Agent Crimson may be the one responsible.

Tony closed his eyes and took a couple of deep breaths to calm down then gave an involuntary shudder when he suddenly thought about his boss. He didn’t want to think about what Gibbs was going to do when he caught up with him. Pushing that to the back of his mind Tony reached over and started his car. As he pulled away from the curb he muttered out loud “Let’s hope you can pull this one off Anthony, because it just may cost you more than your job if you don’t.”

Tony pulled into the parking lot of Crimson’s apartment complex and parked in the first empty space that he saw. As he got out of his car he grabbed his jacket and pulled it on, making sure that it helped conceal the small bump that the recorder made that he had taped to his side earlier.

Making his way to Crimson’s apartment Tony concentrated on what he was going to say to him. Sighing to himself, Tony knew that in all probability the most he would get would be a few incriminating statements but held out hope for an out and out confession.

Tony paused and steeled himself before he knocked on the apartment door, letting one of his many masks slip into place. The last thing he wanted was for Crimson to see the true depth of his emotions.

When Agent Crimson opened the door he looked surprised to see Tony there.

“What are you doing here?” he asked, his eyes narrowing.

“I think we should talk.”

Tony had adopted a casual pose, standing with one hand in his pocket while leaning against the doorframe with his other.

“I’ve got nothing to say to you Agent DiNozzo.” He said with a hint of anger in his voice.

“Why so defensive? I just wanted to ask you a few questions, It’s not like I’m here to accuse you of something.” Tony had put his best innocent smile on. “You know, you kind of remind me of this character I saw in a movie last month.”

Crimson cut him off before he could continue, his frustration clearly showing on his face.

“I don’t have time for this.” He ground out as he started to shut the door in Tony’s face.

Tony’s hand shot out and stopped the door before it was even shut half way, his quick reaction surprising Crimson.

Tony leaned in and said quietly but firmly. “Faccia il tempo.” (Make the time)

Crimson saw a flash of something in Tony’s eyes. Anger maybe? He couldn’t be sure because it came and went so fast. He automatically stepped back and let Tony enter his apartment, shutting the door behind him. Tony just smiled as he walked past him. It was then that Crimson realized his mistake, that the other agent now knew that he understood Italian.

Crimson stood there with his arms crossed as he watched Tony, trying to figure out just what he knew while not letting his nervousness show. Tony walked around the living room looking things over, touching or picking up random objects while not saying a word. He stopped in front of the bookcase and picked up one the picture frames, it was obviously from when Crimson was just a child. It showed what appeared to be a happy family but Tony knew all too well how appearances could be deceiving; especially when it came to family photos.

Not being able to take the silence any longer Crimson marched over and grabbed the picture frame out of Tony’s hand, setting it back on the shelf.

“I thought you said you wanted to talk?” he snapped.

Tony raised his eyebrow at Crimson’s reaction, turned and took a few steps away then turned back to face him.

“You know, when we first met back at NCIS.” Tony began as he adopted both a casual stance and tone to his voice. “I couldn’t quite figure out why you seemed to hate me so much seeing as we had only just met.”

He watched as Crimson just stood there, his expression giving nothing away.

Tony tilted his head to the side as he continued “Admittedly I had more important things on my mind so I just chalked it up to another case of our two agencies not getting along.
Not to mention the fact that you had just spent the last couple of days cooped up in a hotel room with my father.”

Tony didn’t miss the slight stiffening of Crimsons body at the mention of his father.

“Once things had calmed down a bit, I decided to do a little digging.” Tony took a step closer “Would you like to know what I discovered?”

“Do I have a choice?” Crimson mumbled as he crossed his arms.

“Funny you should say that cause that’s kind of what this is all about. Choices.” Tony took another step forward causing Crimson to take a step back. “About how there are consequences for the choices we make in life and taking responsibility for them.”

“What in the hell are you talking about?” he was starting to sound angry.

“I’ll get straight to the point.” Tony started.

Crimson cut him off “It’s about time.” he snapped.

“Listen, I know about your father and his connection to mine” Tony continued, all politeness gone from his voice. “I know about how your father lost his business, your parents divorce and what happened after that.”

“You need to leave. Now!”

Tony could see that Crimson was starting to loose control. He got up into his face “Did you really think you would get away with it?”

“Get away with what?” Crimson spit out.

“Killing my Father.”

“You don’t have proof that I did anything otherwise you would arrest me.” He sounded almost smug.

Tony knew he would have to push Crimson harder if he wanted a confession. He changed tactics and took a couple of steps back. He hated what he was about to say.

“You know what, you’re right.” Tony’s gaze swept over him “There’s no way you could have killed him because I can tell by looking at you that you’re just as much of a coward as your father was.”

“My Father was not a coward!” Crimson practically shouted.

“Sure he was, he took his own life. Isn’t that the cowards way out?”

Crimson lunged at Tony, shoving him up against the wall and holding him there as his tirade began.

“Your father wasn’t much braver DiNozzo. You should have seen the fear in his eyes when he realized he was dying. Having him know that I was the one responsible?” Crimson sneered “Well, that was just icing on the cake.”

Tony was too stunned to fight back.

“You were there? In the room?” He asked with his voice barely above a whisper.

“Oh yeah, it was like a dream come true. To see the great Dominick DiNozzo begging for help.” Crimson leaned in and said with a slightly crazed look in his eye.

Tony snapped out of the daze he was in. Barely containing his anger he pushed Crimson away and said “Too bad your life is about to become a nightmare.”

Crimson laughed, “Like I already said you don’t have any evidence.”

“I think your confession will be more than enough for a conviction.”

“It’s your word against mine.” Crimson scoffed “Do you really think anyone will believe you?”

“But they will believe you.” Tony reached under his shirt and pulled out the recorder, holding it up for the other man to see.

Tony saw the look of shock on Crimson’s face quickly turn to rage. As he took a swing at Tony he heard Crimson yell “You bastard!”

Tony tried to dodge out of the way but wasn’t quite fast enough and caught a glancing blow to his cheek. Staggering back slightly he was able to block the next one and take a swing back, catching Crimson square on the jaw knocking him backwards. Loosing what little control he had on his anger Tony then rushed at Crimson, the momentum sending them both crashing into the entertainment center shattering the glass doors on the unit.

As the fight continued neither of them heard when the door of the apartment crashed open. Tony thought he heard someone calling his name, telling him to stop but he didn’t pay any attention to it. Not until he felt himself being pulled away from Crimson did his brain even register the fact that there were other people in the room.

Tony could hear Gibbs voice in his ear.

“Tony” Gibbs said, “Do you hear me? I said that’s enough.”

As Tony turned his head towards Gibbs he could see the concern in his eyes. He took a deep breath and answered.

“Yeah, I hear you Boss.”