- Text Size +
Chapter 25

As Tony and Ziva exited the elevator and headed in the direction of Abby’s lab, Ziva stopped just before the entrance and placed her hand on Tony’s arm to stop him.

“I will wait here for you but don’t forget that I am watching, so that you don’t leave.” she said.

Tony rolled his eyes at her then continued to the lab. He hesitated at the doors, taking a deep breath as he thought about how he was going to explain things to Abby. Putting what he hoped was a convincing innocent look on his face Tony entered the lab. He was hit with the pulsing beat of Abby’s music and walked over to turn it down.

“Hey! I was listening to that.” Abby said as she spun around.

“Hey Abby” Tony smiled.

“That won’t work on me Anthony DiNozzo.” Abby glared.

The smile immediately dropped from his face. Not wanting to get too close until he knew just how angry she was, Tony took a few small steps forward.

“What won’t work?” he tried to sound innocent.

“Your charm and that smile. You’re in deep trouble mister,” she said as she marched over to him.

Tony barely restrained himself from stepping back, knowing that whatever Abby was about to dish out he had coming. Without warning she punched him in the arm causing Tony to yelp before he could stop him self.

“That’s for lying to me.” Abby said. “And that” she said as she hit him a second time “Is for making me worry.”

Tony silently mouthed ‘ouch’ as he rubbed his arm. Trying to sound appropriately apologetic he said, “I’m sorry Abby.”

Abby stood there with her hands on her hips as she glared for a moment then relented as she hugged him “Apology accepted” she replied.

Tony hugged her back with as much enthusiasm as he could gather up as he realized just how tired he was. The effects from the stress of the last few days were starting to make itself felt. As Abby stepped back from the hug she got a good look at the red mark on Tony’s cheek that was now starting to turn into a bruise.

The unexpected punch to his arm caused Tony to yelp yet again. “Hey, what was that one for?” He exclaimed.

“For not telling me that you were hurt.”

“But I’m not.” Tony looked genuinely confused at her statement.

“What do you call that?” she said as she pointed at his face.

“That?” he replied as he lightly touched his own cheek. “C’mon that’s nothing Abs.”

“Nothing?” she raised her eyebrows. Abby had thought Tony was doing better with his whole ‘I’m not worth worrying about’ thing. Hugging him again she continued, “You getting hurt, however small, is not ‘nothing’ Tony.”

Returning her hug, Tony then gave her a kiss on her forehead and smiled as he whispered “Thank you.”

“You’re welcome” she smiled back.

Abby then grabbed her chair from by her desk and pushed it towards Tony. “Here, stay awhile. Keep me company.”

“I can’t.” Tony sighed, “ Gibbs will be expecting me to be waiting for him upstairs.”

“Speaking of the Boss man” Abby lowered her voice “ What did he say when he, you know, caught up with you?”

“Nothing.”

“Nothing?” Abby sounded surprised.

Tony shook his head no. “Not even a head slap. Wouldn’t let me drive myself back here either.” Nodding his head towards Ziva standing out in the hall.

“Wow, no head slap.” Abby said as she glanced out in the hall “AND Ziva as a babysitter. That’s bad. You must have really pissed him off.”

“Gee thanks Abby” he replied sarcastically “I feel SO much better now. Maybe I will just stay down here a bit longer.”

“C’mon Tony, suck it up.” Abby grinned. “You’re going to have to face him sooner or later.”

“Fine.” Tony said rolling his eyes as he turned away. He then stopped and turned back asking “I don’t suppose you have change for a Twenty?”

“Why?”

Tony gestured to Ziva “Need to pay the babysitter.” he said with a grin.

“Just go” she smirked as she pushed him out the door.

As he joined up with Ziva and started to the elevator Abby yelled to him.

“Hey Tony. Gibbs hired her, he can pay for her.”

Tony just smiled and when Ziva asked what Abby meant he only smiled bigger, shook his head and said “Never mind.”

As the two of them stood at the elevator waiting, Ziva was watching Tony out of the corner of her eye. She was just thinking that he looked a bit more relaxed when she heard the elevator doors open and then saw Tony tense as his smile faltered slightly. When she looked in the elevator she saw Gibbs standing there.

“Ah…Hey there Boss. We were just headed upstairs.” Tony said.

Glancing from one to the other and sensing the tension Ziva spoke up. “I think I will just take the stairs.”