- Text Size +
Chapter 26

Ziva turned and walked briskly to the stairwell, eager to make her escape. As much as she enjoyed seeing Tony get into trouble once in awhile, this was not one of those times. She had considered taking the elevator but one look at Gibbs face changed her mind instantly.

Tony wished he could follow Ziva into the stairwell but instead stayed where he was. He waited for a few seconds hoping that Gibbs was going to get out of the elevator before he stepped in. Those hopes were dashed when Gibbs actually took a step back and with a jerk of his head indicated that Tony should get in the elevator.

Taking a deep breath he stepped in, turned, faced forward and stood at attention with his hands clasped behind his back. Once the doors closed and the elevator started to move, Gibbs reached over and hit the emergency stop switch. He immediately started in on Tony.

“What the hell were you doing?” Gibbs didn’t keep the anger out of his voice.

Tony stayed staring forward, knowing better than to interrupt.

“Taking off like that, on your own?” Gibbs took a step closer getting into his face “Did it even occur to you all that could have gone wrong?”

“I didn’t think that…” Tony began before Gibbs cut him off.

“That’s your problem DiNozzo, you don’t think!” Gibbs then turned away and marched the few steps to the other side of the elevator as he rubbed a hand across the back of his neck.

Tony’s shoulders slumped slightly as he lowered gaze to the floor “I’m sorry boss, I know I could have jeopardized the case but I was sure I could get him to confess.”

Gibbs turned back around and looked at him for a second before he said. “Do you think I give a damn about the case?”

Tony looked up, confusion clear in his expression as Gibbs just stood there, staring at him. Keeping in mind Fornells comment earlier about taking it easy he continued, softening his tone a little.

“You went in without back up. You could have been seriously hurt.” Gibbs paused “Or worse.”

Tony lowered his gaze back to the ground now looking a little uncomfortable as well as confused.

“Do you really care so little about your own safety or are you just trying to get yourself killed?” Gibbs continued.

Tony’s head snapped up at that last statement. “Is that what you think?” he asked taken aback.

Gibbs sighed as he walked over and stood close, his gaze locked with Tony’s “I don’t know DiNozzo, I sometimes wonder. But before you give me that line of bull of yours that ‘It’s no big deal’, keep in mind who you’re talking to.”

As they stood there practically toe-to-toe, Gibbs could see the variety of emotions that came and went in Tony’s eyes; confusion, surprise, anger with the final one being resignation. Tony took a deep breath before he began, his eyes never leaving Gibbs.

“Listen boss, I AM NOT suicidal. I don’t have to tell you that danger comes with the job. I swore years ago to serve and protect, you know that”

Tony then sighed as he dropped his gaze and continued, “I just know that the victims of the crimes that we investigate have loved ones that are counting on us and I’ll do whatever I can to help them.”

“No matter what the cost?” Gibbs asked.

When Tony just shrugged it finally hit Gibbs like a bolt of lightening, the reason he was always so nonchalant about his own safety. Gibbs wasn’t comfortable with all this ‘expressing your feelings’ crap but he knew he had to get through to Tony. He put one hand on Tony’s shoulder and lifted his chin with the other.

“Listen Tony, you have loved ones too and they’re counting on you to keep yourself safe. You got it?”

Tony was silent as he looked into his eyes then cleared his throat. “Got it boss” he answered softly.

“Good.” Gibbs nodded. He gave Tony’s shoulder a final squeeze before letting go. Turning around he then hit the switch setting the elevator back in motion. They stood side by side for a few seconds then Gibbs reached up swatting the back of Tony’s head.

“Hey!” Tony yelped reaching back to rub his head, “What now?”

“You ever pull a stunt like that again and I’ll fire your ass so fast it will make your children’s heads spin.” Gibbs said back to his usual gruffness, “Do I make myself clear?”

“Crystal, boss.” Tony answered still rubbing his head.

As the elevator approached their floor Gibbs told Tony that he needed to head to the interview rooms to give his statement.


Meanwhile Ziva had made her way back up to the bullpen to find McGee already sitting at his desk.

“Where’s Tony?” he asked her.

“With Gibbs” she answered pointing at the elevator, “In his office.”

“Oh” he said. “Do you think Tony will be OK? Should we call someone?”

“Like who?”

“I don’t know, the paramedics maybe” McGee said with a small smile.

Ziva smiled back before she remembered the way Gibbs had looked downstairs. “I say we give them a few minutes then call Ducky.” She answered sounding serious.

The smile dropped from his face “That bad?”

Ziva just gave him a look that said ‘What do you think?’ before turning back to the paperwork on her desk.

Both of their heads snapped up when they heard the elevator sound its arrival. They watched as their boss and Tony exited, with the second one rubbing the back of his head. Tony headed down the hall towards the interview rooms while Gibbs came into the bullpen. He went to his desk and as he grabbed his coffee Ziva spoke up.

“Where did Tony go?”

“He has to give his statement to Fornell.” Gibbs grimaced as he realized his coffee was now lukewarm. “That’s where I’ll be but I don’t want to be bothered.”

Ziva nodded as Gibbs walked past her then went back to her work, hoping that nothing important came up. Even with all her Mossad training, she really did not want to be the one to interrupt them.