- Text Size +
Chapter 27

Gibbs was watching through the glass as Tony gave his statement. Fornell didn’t object to him being there but only as an observer and definitely not in the same room. They had only just begun when the director entered the observation room and stood next to Gibbs. They both stood there for moment, neither one talking, before she finally spoke.

“I heard about what happened.”

Gibbs remained quiet, his eyes flickered in her direction but he stayed facing forward.

“You do realize I should write him up for what he did?”

Gibbs turned to her, anger flaring briefly in his eyes.

“Listen Jen” he began.

She held up a hand silencing him “But I won’t. I will have to at least make a note in his file about this incident, there’s no getting around that.”

Gibbs turned back to watching Tony before taking a deep breath and nodded once.

“Understood”

Jen nodded back then exited the room silently, leaving Gibbs to continue his quiet observation. As he watched Tony in the room with Fornell and another FBI agent, Gibbs finally allowed himself to relax; but only a little bit. Even though the murderer had been found and the case was essentially closed he knew that his work wasn’t finished, at least as far as Tony was concerned.

As Gibbs studied the younger agent he could see how tired he looked but what bothered him more were the lines of stress he could still see etched on his face. He knew that having to go over everything that had happened at Agent Crimsons apartment when giving his statement would be hard, but Gibbs had thought that with the case wrapping up the stress would have eased up a bit.

Before he could come to any conclusions Gibbs heard the door behind him open and he tensed up. When he turned to find that it was Ducky that had entered he relaxed again and not just because of the cup of coffee that he was carrying.

“I believe you could probably use this about now.” Ducky said with a smile.

“What happened to you wanting me to cut back?” Gibbs said with an eyebrow raised as he took the cup from him.

“Yes, well it has been quite a day so this time I think that I can make an exception.”

After taking a long drink from his coffee Gibbs asked, “How did you know where I was?”

Turning to look at Tony through the glass Ducky then turned back to Gibbs and with a knowing look said, “Where else would you be Jethro?”

Gibbs gave a small smile but didn’t respond as he took another sip of his coffee.

As they both turned back to look at Tony they noticed that it looked like the FBI were just about done taking his statement. Ducky looked him over with a critical eye. He nodded his head once as if coming to a decision and then asked with a more serious tone.

“How is Anthony doing?”

“I don’t know Duck” Gibbs sighed “As well as can be expected I guess.”

Knowing that Gibbs wouldn’t tolerate one of his long explanations or stories right now he decided to get straight to the point.

“Did you know that he hasn’t been down to autopsy since that first night?” Ducky said.

“What?” Gibbs looked confused as he turned to face him.

“Anthony. He hasn’t been down to autopsy.”

Gibbs still looked puzzled so Ducky continued, “To see his father.”

Gibbs said nothing as a look of comprehension came across his face.

“He should come down and see him, before it is too late.”

“What do you mean, before it’s too late?” Gibbs asked.

“I was just notified by the DiNozzo family attorney that they would have someone here tomorrow to pick up the body.” Ducky sighed “And seeing as I don’t know if Anthony plans on attending the funeral considering what I know of their relationship or even if he would be welcome, this may be his last chance to say good bye.”

“Don’t you think this should be his decision, whether or not to see his fathers body?”

“You know him best,” Ducky said softly as he placed a hand on Gibbs shoulder “But I do believe that in the long run it would be in his best interest to do this.”

“I won’t force him Ducky” Gibbs said his voice equally soft.

“Of course not Jethro” he replied as he patted his shoulder. As he stepped back he continued, “But Anthony will listen to you, at least talk to him about this.”

Before he could respond a movement on the other side of the glass caught Gibbs attention. He saw that Fornell and his agent were leaving. He watched as Tony just sat there for a moment, rubbing his hands across his face before he then pushed himself up from the table and headed for the door.

Wanting to get to his agent before he could go too far Gibbs headed out the door himself as he threw over his shoulder to Ducky “I’ll see what I can do.”

Tony had only gotten a few steps ahead of him so Gibbs was able to catch up right away. As he fell in step next to him Tony acknowledged his presences with a quiet “Hey boss.”

“DiNozzo.” Gibbs answered with a nod “You OK?”

Tony’s “I’m fine” was a little too quick for Gibbs liking but he remained silent until they reached the elevators. Gibbs pushed the button for the elevator and the doors immediately opened.

“DiNozzo” Gibbs said with a nod towards the elevator stopping Tony, who had been headed towards the bullpen, in his tracks. Following his boss into the elevator he stood there quietly seemingly lost in his own thoughts, until Gibbs reached over and hit the switch to stop them from moving. Tony stiffened thinking that they were possibly going to continue their conversation from earlier but seeing only concern and not reprimand in Gibbs eyes he relaxed.

Not one for beating around the bush Gibbs got straight to the point. “I just talked with Ducky. He told me that someone would be here tomorrow to pick up your father.”

“OK” Tony said drawing the word out.

“He also said you haven’t been down there since this all started.”

Tony sighed as he leaned against the back wall of the elevator, head bowed as he stared at the floor.

“What does that have to do with anything?” he mumbled.

“He seems to think that you should see him.” Gibbs paused for a moment “That it might be your last chance and that it would help.”

Tony raised his head, eyes locked with Gibbs, “What do you think?”

“It’s your decision” he replied. His gaze still locked with Tony’s he stepped up next to him and placed his hand on his shoulder. Never having been comfortable with expressing his emotions, Gibbs paused as he struggled to come up with the right words.

“But if it were me Tony?” Gibbs finally said, “I would want the chance to say goodbye. The chance to say the things I never got to say before.” Gibbs voice softened “I think you need to do this if you’re ever going to get past everything that’s happened.”

Tony held his gaze for a moment before nodding his head. Dropping his hand from his shoulder Gibbs took a step back before reaching over to start the elevator moving again.

“Out with it.” Gibbs sighed when he saw the smirk on Tony’s face.

“Didn’t know you watched Dr. Phil boss.” Tony grinned.

The smack to the back of his head wasn’t unexpected.