- Text Size +
It was much later in the night, that time when it was almost not night any more that he slipped silently into the room. There was a dim light on so the little occupant of the bed wouldn't wake up in the dark and be frightened. The other soul in the room was sitting in a stuffed chair by the window, keeping a vigil. There was an old pain etched on her face, something in her that this little girl's circumstance was bringing out. Her eyes met his, neither surprised to see the other.

Gibbs crossed the room without making a sound and handed Leslie one of the coffees he was carrying and she said quietly, “Thanks. How'd you know I was here?”

“I had a hunch.”

She nodded and looked back over the sleeping child, the sleeping child that had amazingly not had any nightmares.

As he sat in the other stuffed chair next to her, his eyes fell to something the little girl was holding and he asked with a soft chuckle, “Is that DiNozzo's shirt?”

“Yeah. It was the only way she would let him leave. It makes her feel safe. I think she associates the smell of his aftershave with someone or something positive in her life.”

Gibbs noted that there was a little bit of a far away quality to words, like she was rehashing something from the past in her mind, overlaying it with the present. “This case is different for you, isn't it?” he prodded gently. When her eyes met his full of questions, he added, “I saw you in that room, remember?”

She looked down at her coffee, “Oh.”

“Bringing up memories of another case?”

“Yeah. Mine.” She found the courage to look him in the eye again, somehow knowing that he wouldn't judge, and more importantly, wouldn't pity, she couldn't stand the pity that people dumped on her. “I was her. But worse. Much worse.”

Gibbs didn't quite know what to say, “That why you work for Social Services?”

She gave him a wane little smile, “Yeah. Seemed like an obvious career choice.”

“Seems like the perfect career choice.”

“It is.”

They looked at each other for a stretched out moment, both feeling a spark of attraction, but both knowing that this wasn't the time or place for it. But that was okay. Neither was going anywhere as they settled back into the soft chairs and watched the little girl sleeping peacefully.

---------------
Colorado Springs
---------------

Jack threw out the last of the unidentifiable food from the fridge with a sigh. He bought groceries with the honest intention of eating. But either missions and catastrophes kept him away from home or if he were home the emptiness would make him loose any appetite he might have had. Everywhere he looked in the house he saw Daniel. And in honestly Jack hadn't been this hollowed out since Charlie died.

He often thought that if he didn't know weight of the work that they did under that mountain, he would have retired again and gotten lost at his cabin in Minnesota. But he knew that Daniel was out there somewhere. Invariably fighting the Gou'ald in his own way. And it was the tiniest sliver of hope that he might again see Daniel that made Jack put his boots on every morning and report for duty.

Jack finally took a hot shower and climbed into bed. On Daniel's side. He reached to turn off the light on the nightstand and sighed as he saw a spare pare of Daniel's glasses sitting on top of some old, leather bound book that Daniel had been reading before they went to Kelowna. He hadn't had the emotional strength to put them away, instead leaving them right where Daniel had left them. His hand moved to put them in the nightstand drawer, but he just couldn't. He quickly flicked the light off, letting the darkness of the room hide the silent tear that slipped out on him. And as he wrapped himself around Daniel's pillow and started to fade off to sleep, he said the words he spoke every night in the dark, just on the oft chance that Daniel was listening, “I miss you...”

He was roused by a painfully familiar voice teasing, “I miss you, too, Jack. But that's still my side of the bed. I thought we had settled that years ago.”

Jack's eyes flew open. The room had a hazy sort of look, and as he rolled over there was an impossibility lying next to him on top of the covers. “Daniel?”

Daniel looked different, softer somehow. And a there seemed to be a faint glowing aura around him.

“Hi, Jack.”

“I'm dreaming aren't I?” Jack asked, not believing that Daniel was really there.

“Yes and no. You are dreaming, but I am really here. This was the only way I could talk to you without alerting the others. Something's come up. Something important. And I need you.”

Jack sat up, as did Daniel, “What is it? Something with the Gou'ald? Did you find something we can use?”

“No, not the Gou'ald. It's personal. And you've got to believe me when I tell you I didn't know. I had no idea. I would never have left her there, never.”

“Daniel, what are you talking about?”

“I have a daughter, Jack. A daughter.”

“A daughter?”

“Yeah. She's about five or so. You've got to help her, Jack, please.” Daniel's face took on a concerned look, “The others are pulling me back, promise me you'll help her, Jack. That you'll raise her and love her. Promise me.”

Daniel's form started to get fainter and fainter and his words faded out as he disappeared altogether.

Jack woke with a start and stared around the room, there was no sign of Daniel. And as he scrubbed his face he realized that Daniel hadn't told him where his daughter was. The question of him raising Daniel's child didn't even warrant a response, it was a given that he would do it. How could he not?

He threw on his clothes and without a second thought, because he knew she'd still be working in her lab, he called Sam.

“Carter, I need your expertise.”

---------------
tbc...