- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
"I guess its just a part of the subconscience that says 'I don't like them' like first impressions that never leave. Or something like that."
The body was laid out in Autopsy, cleaned up and ready for closer examination. Ducky's estimate had been that the Petty Officer was killed between 0100 and 0200 in the morning.

Gibbs walked into Autopsy just as Palmer was stitching up the body.
"Ah, Jethro." Ducky greeted his old friend.
"How'd be die, Duck?"
"Single stab wound to the side." The ME's face was slightly grim as he continued. "It would've been a slow death, the poor boy would have drifted in and out of conscienceness for several minutes before he died." Gibbs nodded, looking at the body of the Petty Officer Tony and Kate were IDing in the bullpen whilst Abby checked the blood samples and the fibres Ducky had found under the Officers broken fingernails. Tim had been checking the car with Abby, trying to figure out why the car's engine wasn't wired to anything.
---------------------------------------------
Back in the bullpen Tony shouted a triumphful "Ahah!" Kate looked up from her own desk as he grinned at her.
"Petty Officer Jared Conningsworth!" He announced. Kate looked up the name on her own computers database and saw the man resembling the youn Petty Officer in Autopsy.

"Honerably discharged in April," Kate read aloud. She returned the smile. They'd been looking for the young Officer who didn't have and dog tags on for ages. Gibbs walked in, a fresh cup of coffee in his hand. He was a magnet for any sort of coffee, it was scary.
"Petty Officer-"
"Jared Conningsworth." Gibbs complete sitting down at his desk. Tony and Kate shared an exaspirated look.
"Abby matched the finger prints an hour ago." Both agents their annoyance with difficulty as they started to report on what they could find in the Petty Officer's file.

"Petty Officer Jared Leyam Conningsworth, 27, Honerably discharged in April this year after pulling his wounded Captain to safety in Iraq." Kate brought up his file and picture on the plasma as Tony picked up the trail.
"Started working at his fathers shop in May, after returning from Iraq and according to the father, went to visit some old friends on Wednesday. He wasn't expected back until Tuesday, but when he didn't turn up, the family just thought he was staying for another night. He's done it before and so they didn't worry." Tony finished. Gibbs looked up, expecting more. Kate provided him with:
"We got the addresses of the two friends: Peter Oedds and Alexandrea McKain. They live in the same building across town."

A voice from across the room made them look up.
"Neither of them answered their home phone numbers, but for some reason the call to Alexandrea McKain was transfered to a neighbour who lives three doors down, she told me that McKain was out a work, but only works part time and would be back at 1430." The stares from the three agents made Madisyn shrug.
"What else was I supposed to do. Observing isn't exactly the most interesting past-time. Anyway, you looked like you needed some help." She crossed her legs where she sat in Tim's chair, swivelling it round to face Kate and Tony across the diagonal.

Gibbs had gone back to whatever was on his desk, and took the sedan keys out of his drawers and heading for the elevator.
"DiNozzo with me."
Tony quickly followed, Madisyn slipped into the elevator just as the doors were closing. She smiled at Tony who shook his head, she would either grow up to be a very good agent, or an incredibly annoying one. Or maybe both.
-----------------------------------------------------
Alexandrea McKain and Peter Oedds' building was similar to the appartment buildings all around the city. Tall and made of metal and stone. Numerous windows into different rooms and appartments. The lift was out of order, but luckily McKain's flat was only on the second floor. Oedds was further up on the fourth. The door number was seven and the silver plated number shifted slightly as Gibbs knocked on the door.

The door was opened by a tall girl, wearing heels and a long blue dress. Little early for a cocktail party, Madisyn thought.
"Alexandrea McKain?."
"Yes?"
"Special Agents Gibbs, Dinozzo and Kyran. NCIS" Gibbs introduced them, each Agent responding with a nod behind him.
"Navy feds? Come in." Alexandrea stepped back to let the agents in. Behind her, a well dressed man in a grey suit and tie looked over at the team as they entered.
"Who are they Alex?" He asked in a voice edging on harsh.
"NCIS, Pete." Peter Oedds Gibbs raised his eyebrows.
"Just a few questions for you." He remarked, addressing both McKain and Oedds.
"Make it quick, places to be." Oedds replied briskly, sitting down on the sofa.
"When was the last time you saw Jared Conningsworth?"
"Last month, the eleventh." Oedds replied swiftly, crossing his expensively clad legs with his shiney leather shoe resting on his knee. Gibbs glanced over at McKain.
"Yes, we went out for dinner when Jared was discharged. We were celebrating. He went home afterwards, his father took him home. What's this about?"

"Jared Conningsworth was found death in his car this morning." Tony answered the question. The three agents studied the reaction. Oedds uncrossed his legs and sat forward, resting his elbows on his knees whilst McKain had to put a hand on the mantlepiece of steady herself. Either both were good actors or they didn't know.
"He's dead." McKain muttered, her eyes brimming with tears, smudging her mascara. Oedds moved to her side, pulling her into a hug. She returned it, crying into his shoulder.

Tony looked over at Madisyn who returned the look. Gibbs just stood in front of them, waiting for things to quieten down. Once McKain had caught a hold of herself again, Oedds turned to Gibbs.
"When did he...die?" He murmered.
"Between one and two this morning."
"Both Alex and me were here." He replied with a briskness that was suprising. Gibbs nodded and Tony pocketed his PDA.
"We may have some more question later." Gibbs told them before turning and exiting, followed by Tony and Madisyn.

Outside the appartment, and on the way down te stairs Madisyn muttered to Tony:
"Oedds is lying, his eyes shifted when Gibbs asked him any of the questions." Tony shrugged, thinking it over.
"He also had an injury on his left ankle." She concluded, earning a confused look from Tony.
"You couldn't see his ankle."
"No, but he winced when he crossed it. Where were you looking?"
"Probably down the dress of McKain." Gibbs suprised them both at being able to hear them half a stair case in front. Madisyn rolled her eyes and caught up with Gibbs and Tony just as they both got into the slick sedan.