- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
"On three, okay? Now wait! Is that three counting down from six or counting up from one?"
Mario's Cafe was positioned about twenty miles from where McKain was found with the back of her head missing. Gibbs sat behind the steering wheel, Tony beside him talking to Tim over the phone.
"I'm putting you on speakerphone." Tony replied to something Tim had said before clicking the speaker button.
"Mario's is actually owned by an Australian called Jack Gryfford. There's nothing about him, no criminal record, not even a parking ticket. Mario's been there for six months, but has nothing to suspect that there's anything going on. No connection between Gryfford and McKain that I can find."
"Find it." Gibbs all but growled.
"Yes, boss. Sending the directions to the car feed." Gibbs hung up Tony's phone for him and made a hairpin turn to get back on the right track which they had just driven passed. Tony swallowed and gripped the door handle for all his life.
-------------------------------------------------------------
Kate shifted into a marginally more comfortable position, trying to pull her coat over her shoulders more. They'd both tried to find a way out, searching around the cracks in the floor and walls. All of the walls seemed to be solid metal, but the room was completely empty, except for them.
"Kate?" Madisyn said after another endless silence. Kate looked up.
"I think we're in a fridge." Kate frowned, but had to take it as a good idea. It was damned freezing in the room. Madisyn walked back over to what she thought was a door and ran her fingers along where it joined the next wall. Kate suppressed a shiver as she joined Madisyn by the "door".

It was just then that a loud scraping cause them both to turn. What was actually the door swung back to reveal three well dressed men, two of which were both carrying guns. The middle man, the one without a gun, was easily recognizable as the Australian from last night, or early this morning. He gave them both a smile, crossing his arms across his expensive waist-coat.
"So, ladies, enjoy the night?"
"I'd prefer it if we had some champagne." Madisyn replied with a returned smile.
"A joker, how delightful." Sneered the Australian. He sighed and looked around the small room. "I know its not very hospitable, but you will out live your use before we can upgrade you. So here is your purpose. How do you know Peter Oedds and why are you investigating him?" His voice changing to an icy chill. Both women stayed quiet, watching him intently.
"Strong and silent, alright. I'll give you a while to figure out what you're going to say. When I come back, on the count of three, you start talking, okay?" He turned to leave. Madisyn saw Kate's eyes access the exterior of the freezer.

"One thing actually. Would that be on three counting down from some number, or counting up from some number. And would you be counting in ones or in decimal places?" Madisyn randomly asked, first thing that came into her head, giving Kate just a little more time to think and consider. Gryfford rolled his eyes and turned away, the two heavies pushing the door closed with a snap and a flick of a lock being pushed up.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
The sedan stopped in the parking lot of the cafe. Tony and Gibbs got out of each side of the car, walking up to the door and trying the handle. Locked. There was a push bell on the side of the door. Best be polite. Gibbs pressed the button and heard the bell buzz somewhere within the building. Nothing happened. Gibbs signaled for Tony to check around the edge whilst he tried the bell again, looking through the windows.

Tony had only been about four steps before his keen eyesight noticed something lying half concealed on the floor. He moved it with his foot and turned to tell Gibbs, he'd want to know.

"Boss?" Tony hissed, Gibbs looked around, moving over to where Tony was.
"I found this." Tony indicated with his foot, Gibbs looked down at Kate's NCIS ID wallet complete with its badge and photograph. Gibbs drew his weapon at the same time Tony did.
"I found a door round the side." Tony muttered, moving towards it, Gibbs moving to cover him.

The door was a workman's entrance. From inside soft voices could be heard, seeing as the door was slightly ajar. Gibbs nodded and turned the handle, pushing the door open.
"NCIS, down on the floor and drop the weapons!" One weapon hit the door but the other was discharged towards the two agents standing on either side of the doorway. Shots ricocheted and bounced off work tops. But they soon ceased. Tony and Gibbs lowered their weapons, watching the scene before them. Tony moved and kicked the two guns out of reach. The two heavies were unconscious or dead, hard to tell which, but the last man had only taken a bullet to the calf. He sat against the wall; hanging on to the scratch wound of a ricocheting bullet.
“Where is my agent?” but Gryfford just laughed. Gibbs voice was soft a deadly as he asked once again.
“Agent?” Gryfford chuckled. “You only care about one of them?” He snickered, leaning back against the wall. Tony looked up.
“Kyran wasn’t in this morning either.” He added.
“Where are they?” Gibbs snarled, taking Gryfford’s expensive lapels in hand.
“They’re cooling off after our little encounter.” He replied cryptically, but it didn’t take long for Gibbs to figure it out.
“Tony, the freezers.”
“On it, boss.” Tony replied, stepping away from the two dead heaviest and exiting the kitchen.

Gibbs left Gryfford to find his own cell phone and call an ambulance, following Tony to where he was heaving on the solid flip lock of the freezer. With a final tug the lock folded up with a scraping of metal on metal. The door swung back with the speed of a glacier. Inside the stark white room, only one pair of eyes was raised to meet theirs. Kate smiled weakly as the door opened to revealed anyone but Gryfford. Madisyn had her head leaning on her shoulder, eyes closed, the chill kicking in.

Kate managed to stand with Gibbs’ help and Madisyn was easily carried out of the freezer.
“Madisyn?” Tony laid her down on one of the café’s sofas. She groaned reluctantly and opened an eye.
“Tony.” She mumbled, trying to blink him into focus. “I never, ever want to see another freezer again.” She continued, pushing herself to sit up.
“Oh, and there was me thinking I might invite everyone out for ice-cream.”
Chapter End Notes:
Just to make absolutely sure, I have nothing against Australians, I just picked the nationality out of a hat...well randomly off the internet whilst typing in nationality into google, but that is of no consiquence. I have nothing against Australians, they are amazing people!