- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Bethesda Naval Hospital. Abby's prognosis.
When Gibbs and Jenny arrived at Bethesda Naval Hospital, it was with the same screeching of tires that got them on their way. Although rarely used by Gibbs, the vehicle had strobe lights and a siren both of which were used liberally en-route. Ducky met them in the ER waiting room. He had been with Abby up until the time she had been taken for x-rays to determine whether or not she had any bones broken in the blast. So far, she was holding her own. There was concern that she may have sustained internal injuries. The doctor warned them that she looked pretty bad, and had two black eyes. This was common with head injuries, and is called "racooning" he said. "Why don't we sit down and wait for more news?" As he spoke, Ducky gestured toward a row of uncomfortable looking chairs. "I know the physician who is treating the dear girl very well" he continued. Abby is young and a fighter as you both well know. She is in very good physical condition which is a plus, and she is in good hands. "And", he added, in God's hands." Gibbs grumbled something, then sat down. He picked up the same outdated periodical three times thumbing through the pages without seeing a word that was written on them. He got up and paced the floor like a caged animal and Jenn could tell he was about to explode. She was going to say something in an effort to calm him, when a doctor approached them. The doctor, a slightly balding middle aged gentleman with wire rim glasses, held out his hand to Ducky saying, "Doctor Mallard, how good to see you again. I am just sorry it's under such circumstances." "Thank you Walter." Ducky replied. He turned and introduced him to Jenny and Gibbs. Dr. Walter Frederick shook their hands and said, "Your friend is a very lucky young woman." There were some minor fractures, ribs mostly, but as far as we can tell, there may be no really lasting effects. She might experience some hearing loss as a result of the explosion, but only time will tell that. Her head wound is our main concern right now, and she has some internal contusions that will heal with time. As you might suspect, she has a concussion. She is going to have quite a headache when she wakes up. Jenn looked concerned and asked, "She is still unconscious?" "Oh, no, not from the explosion. We do have her on a mild sedative however. We have to be careful due to her head injury. She should be conscious and alert in a couple of hours. "Can we see her?" Gibbs asked hopefully. Dr. Frederick nodded his head and said, "Only for a few minutes. We still have a lot of tests to run on her. I'll take you to her room personally."

Sunlight filtered through the curtains of the room. A random sunbeam illuminated the bruised face of the raven haired young woman lying in the bed. Jethro Gibbs leaned over and gently kissed her on the forehead and held her hand. He stood there for a moment on one side of the bed, with Jenny on the other side. Ducky stood near the door with Dr. Frederick. "You hang in there Abbs" he said. "You've got a big mess to clean up in your lab when you get back." Jenn had notice a paper bag Gibbs had been carrying, but had not really thought to ask what was in it. He reached into the bag and produced "Bert" the farting Hippo and placed him on the bed next to Abby. A nurse came into the room and adjusted the drip on the IV leading into Abby's right arm. Jenn touched Gibbs on the arm and motioned toward the door with her head. Gibbs nodded and said softly to the doctor, "You take good care of her for me. She's special."